Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amp masters; Roland JC120

Juan Caca

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to have one. A beautiful clean amp, with a very nice chorus, one of the best chorus effects, IMHO. The built in distortion is absolute crap. Vile hideous crap.

I never played it with a pedal in front, so I can't help there.

There's may a day I wish I had it still.

Paul

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

I've used the JC-120 many many times but never owned one. I think it is a sweet clean amp.

Rockincyanblues is right about the distortion, I'll go further: I've never heard a more pathetic and ridiculous distortion in my life. I can still laugh just remembering it's sound like a good joke. I mean, what do they think they're doing for the amp by adding that thing. It is so sad and thin sounding.

Now, excuse me while I go vote.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

It often appears as a rider requirement amp for jazz and fusion bands that do not carryt heir own production. I don't see many others using them.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Great clean sound. Really popular in the 80s for that clean Strat/chorus sound that everyone used back then. Loud for a ss amp too.

If you want distortion/overdrive, it will have to come from an external source. I don't know anything about the GT-6. Do you like its overdrive tones?

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

i have a GT-6.. to me, this unit sounds much more real and rich than other regular multieffects...

this unit had several out presets to hook up the GT6 to differnt devices: combo amp, small amp, stack return, line, pa, etc, and include one specificaly to the "JC-120", i never heard or playe a jc live... this is a roland amp, and i was thinking: maybe the gt6 are much more accurate balanced to this amp... :rolleyes: and sounds even more good..??.

Jorge Carrera... Todólogo.

http://www.angelfire.com/ri/granazul

cavj760304@icqmail.com

I don't know about how a GT-6 would sound, but a decade ago, I used to play a JC120 with a Heavy Metal HM-2 pedal. Great combination.

The newer JC120's feature an effects loop, and a headphone jack (I think). Still the same, great clean sound, and horrible distortion. Well, if you're a spitting fuzz freak you might like the JC's distortion.

My experience with Roland and Boss products is that they work really well together.

I have a Boss 1180CD digital recorder. I tried several different brands and models of powered nearfield monitors, and settled on the Roland DS7 monitors. They worked the best together in my space.

If the GT6 has a specific setting for feeding the JC 120, then they'll probably work very well together. Nobody knows the reasons for the design decisions Roland made better than Roland.

Good Luck.

Paul

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

why does everyone dis the distortion on this great box? :confused:

hello...its SS!! it has the greatest 'clean' sound you will ever get outa yer guitar...

and LOUD :freak:

now if you want to hear the best this amp *ever* sounded-clean and balls2thewall distorto-check out '80s ADRIANBELEW!

talking heads(especially live) david bowie-king crimson-laurie anderson-solo albums....

he was running his beat up strat w/ on board pre into a big muff into jc120 and you never heard a more bell like clean/skronk and the most massive feedback and a clarity of harmonic overtones and justa very sturdy rock guitar sound...

for instance -"the great curve" on 'remain in light'-talking heads-those feedback laden solos on that tune stand the test of time for me :D

s :cool:

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

i thought mine was the best amp i've ever played on- that is until i jammed with a band. it could not keep up up AT ALL. imo, it's only good for practicing or playing only light jazz live. remember, you only get 60 watts in each channel, not to mention the high and low inputs on each of those two.

it is however, the greatest amp of all time, and that's not IMO!!!!!!!

Originally posted by stanner:

why does everyone dis the distortion on this great box? :confused:

hello...its SS!! it has the greatest 'clean' sound you will ever get outa yer guitar...

and LOUD :freak:

now if you want to hear the best this amp *ever* sounded-clean and balls2thewall distorto-check out '80s ADRIANBELEW!

talking heads(especially live) david bowie-king crimson-laurie anderson-solo albums....

he was running his beat up strat w/ on board pre into a big muff into jc120 and you never heard a more bell like clean/skronk and the most massive feedback and a clarity of harmonic overtones and justa very sturdy rock guitar sound...

for instance -"the great curve" on 'remain in light'-talking heads-those feedback laden solos on that tune stand the test of time for me :D

Yes, yes, and yes!

-But-

While I think many people sound great playing through a JC, they just don't work for me, clean or dirty. I've been at jams where other players sounded great through their JC amps; when I plugged in, I suddenly hated that thing on the other end of the cord! For whatever reasons, we just aren't cut-out for each other.

Vive la difference! Or somethin' like that...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

-But-

While I think many people sound great playing through a JC, they just don't work for me, clean or dirty. I've been at jams where other players sounded great through their JC amps; when I plugged in, I suddenly hated that thing on the other end of the cord! For whatever reasons, we just aren't cut-out for each other.

Vive la difference! Or somethin' like that...

hey...same here-altho i keep mine around-i have *never* been able to get a sound or tone that i can live w/ with this amp...

i do use it for reference just cause its so damn clean and healthee compared to my beat up, hairee, cloven hoofed tube amps.

;)

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Originally posted by zachg:

:confused: imo, it's only good for practicing or playing only light jazz live. remember, you only get 60 watts in each channel, not to mention the high and low inputs on each of those two.

it is however, the greatest amp of all time, and that's not IMO!!!!!!!

:confused: hey wait!! i dont understand? i can´t use all wattagge at the same time??

Jorge Carrera... Todólogo.

http://www.angelfire.com/ri/granazul

cavj760304@icqmail.com

Originally posted by musicalhair:

[QB]I've used the JC-120 many many times but never owned one. I think it is a sweet clean amp.

Rockincyanblues is right about the distortion, I'll go further: I've never heard a more pathetic and ridiculous distortion in my life. I can still laugh just remembering it's sound like a good joke. I mean, what do they think they're doing for the amp by adding that thing. It is so sad and thin sounding.

QB]

and to make things even more enigmatic Roland = BOSS = SD-1= a GREAT overdrive... why didn't they just chuck that in the amp???
- due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been SWITCHED OFF

I played for a couple of years with a guy who used one. Great clean amp with a wonderful chorus. I think he used a Rat pedal for his crunch, and it worked pretty well.

The clean sound is where it shines!

"Never back-up more than you have to"

REAL MEN PLAY TELECASTERS!

Originally posted by zachg:

[qb]"...you only get 60 watts in each channel..."

Originally posted by Juan Caca:

:confused: "hey wait!! i dont understand? i can´t use all wattagge at the same time??"

It's stereo, like two 60-watt/1x12" amps at the same time, side-by-side. Both "sides" are on all the time; not to be confused with the input "channels".

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I have had a JC-50 for about 20 years. It's essentially 1 channel of the JC-60, with 1 - 12 speaker, mono. It is a very clean, truthful amp. I like trying out different pedals with it, because it tells you exactly what the pedal sounds like. A lot of people don't like that, because they rely on their tube amp's power tube section for some saturation. I have seen Belew play through one, and I think Lonny Mack had one in addition to his twin when I opened for him in '93, so you can play the blues with it. Sounds good to me with a Tube screamer.

I've never lifted one, so I never even thought about it's weight! I'd have thought it would be rather light being solid state and not tube but that is more like a guess than anything else.

I've rolled them around in studios on their casters a lot, they roll nicely ;)

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

I gigged for a long time with a JC.

It was reliable and consistent - one time at an outdoor gig, the contractor connected to the wrong leg of the power pole after we had plugged in our gear (he said it was safe...), and everything on stage blew up (variations of the blue-flame effect), except for my amp, all it needed was a fuse.

It served to play any drive or effect my pedals could produce, and yes , an original Rat was the best thing. I actually found uses for the on-board distortion, but it would never be mistaken for a good tube amp.

I finally replaced it with a tube hybrid amp, but if I had the need and the money, I would have a JC and an all-tube amp on stage and a pedal to rock between the two.

Originally posted by Juan Caca:

in the real life" how good this unit is? and for th price?

is a good match to the boss gt6?

thanks!!

I've played through them, always whished I had the money and back muscles to afford to buy one.

The way you have to think of the JC-120 is as a amp with a very flat, linear, "hi-fi" responce - almost like plugging directly into a recording console. If you like that sound - cool. Having said that, I think if your going to want the clean sounds and also use stomp boxes with it for your dirty sounds, be prepared to use a a/b loop setup with some post eq or speaker simulation.

The other option is to use multi-effect units like the Boss GT series, Yamaha DG, or POD stuff.

Pete

Archived