Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

halloween

Gifthorse

How many people love Halloween? I do. I think it is one of the most positive holidays we have. When I was little I would go tricker treating. It was like the only time you had complete control over everything. Your costume, sugar consumption, how fast you would move from house to house. I love the mood and the feeling to this day. Then there is the pumpkin factor. Pumpkins are so cool. Every pumpkin is different and they are so fun to carve. When you are a kid it is so exciting buying and carving pumpkins. I also consider myself and expert pumpkin seed maker. Remember you have to dry the seeds for 2 or 3 days before you cook them, otherwise they get all chewy and shitty.

Everyone is so scared nowadays. Parents won't let thier kids go out like the old days cuz they are worried about someone poisoning candy or putting razors in apples.

Personally, whenever I got an apple for halloween I would throw that bad boy about as far as I could. Then I would ponder why someone would try and slip me something healthy. It is like watching cartoons that are trying to teach you something. If your smart enough you realize they are ruining the fun and you switch to Tom & Jerry, Bugs Bunny or popeye!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then I would ponder why someone would try and slip me something healthy.
You're right of course. That's just heinous. And that's why nowdays razor blades, poison, or at least ExLax... are so popular.

No sense in doing something healthy ; }

I love Halloween. It's sad to see the "trick or treating" part giving way to more parties. I remember when my kids were younger, taking them around the neighborhoods. There was always a lady who was friends with Deb's grandma or something who'd be just waiting for Halloween so she could say "Wow, how these guys have grown in the last year". People you didn't see all the time, but you knew where they lived. Then, there was always the "crazy house" with black lights, strobes, a fog machine, once in awhile a real coffin on the front porch with someone dressed up in the coffin handing out candy. Talk about fun!

Dropping leaf-stuffed dummies from the roof onto the porch in front of unsuspecting trick or treaters to give 'em a scare. Setting up a sound system and playing J.S. Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in Dm" all over the neighborhood.

I remember hearing once that the "razor blade in apple" thing was way overblown. There was one horrible instance about 20 years ago where a kid got a hold of a cyanide-laced Pixie Stix and died. Turns out it was the kid's own asshole shitbag "father" that did it.. We always sort of made a route map of where we went with the kids anyway.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I miss the more old-fashioned, homespun side of Halloween, which is fast becoming over commercialized. We lived in the countryside, with a lot of deliscously spooky forest around us; some of our relatives and neighbors didn't have indoor plumbing, many had gardens and raised a lot of their own vegetables, hunted, fished... we'd get a lot of seriously good home-made goodies trick-or-treating!

Our neighbors threw the absolute best Halloween party I ever went to, all the silly old parlor games like bobbing for apples, pin the tale on the donkey, corny ghost-stories by lamp-light; home-made cider, cookies, candy-apples. One by one, as time went by, people started to dissapear, it was like some old horror/suspense movie- turned out everyone was hiding out in this secret "room" inside a huge pile of hay-bales behind their garage, chuckling whenever we'd hear someone wander by trying to find us, not knowing how close they were. Eventually almost everyone- including most of the Dads and kids- was hiding out in there, and several of the worried Moms were walking by outside calling out for there kids and husbands. They, uh, didn't see the humor in it right away when someone burst out of the hay-house in the glow of flashlights, frightening the bejeezis out of them! Yeah, I love Halloween, too.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by flagshippyre:

When I was 22 I handed out potatoes. HAHAHA. It was funny I would slip it in the bag then look at the kid when he looked outside. AHAHA. I wouldn't do that now. That is kinda mean but it was hilarious at the time. I would have thought that was funny when I was little.

That's a good way to get egged, shaving creamed and toilet papered etc. :D

Halloween has always been my favorite holiday. When I was a kid, the candy & the costumes were the reason. As I've grown older I just seem to like the darker feel that it has (compared to other holidays). Maybe it's because it is typically celebrated at night, or that it is in the fall (which is the time of harvest/death), or maybe that it just seems to really groove on things that are a little spooky. I don't really know.

Sure, the costumes & the parties are still fun, but there is just something more to me because of that darkness.

Also, the first gig I ever played was on Halloween.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by Tedster HoffMunster:

Originally posted by NMcGhoultar:

Sure, the costumes & the parties are still fun, but there is just something more to me because of that darkness.

Neil Crowley. :D:evil:
I saw Alastair Crowley's/ Jimmy Page's mansion when I was in Scotland last year :cool: (didn't get to go in it though :( ).

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Halloween has usually been my favorite holiday with Thanksgiving next.

This year I'm not so into it, nor was I last year.

I normally get the sound system going with spooky music & decorate some as well as get some kind of costume or face on. I'm just not into it lately. Might have had something to do with a lousy job last year and this year I told them to pack sand so I'm in between day jobs.

I would usually go for some good scares. The last really good one we had my son's hearse parked out front with a fog machine going & Kayle would prop himself up along side looking dead & move at off times. We also had a small casket in the back and wifey would take it upon herself to lie in the hearse too, dressed up. I'd sit in a chair behind our front porch pillar and not move. The kids would ring the bell if they got that far or sometimes would see me sooner and speak. I'd ignore them for a bit. Some would move up and touch me. I'd then jump or just slowly turn my head and speak. Hilarious how many ran screaming, mostly kids in their early teens.

Anyway, it was always good fun for me. Maybe again next year. The only good thing about this years is the gig the day before.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

A Lone Chicken Origin of Halloween: Way back when, Halloween was merely the eve of All Saint's Day, a day set aside to celebrate the lives of the patriarchs of the Bible. But then one day the CEO of a beer company stood up and said, "Hey who wants to dress up like a bunch of boring old religious coots?! But ghosts, witches, and goblins...hey, that'll be a lot more fun, and they'll make for more entertaining beer commercials!" And so....

Anyhow. :D When I was a kid back in the 60's I went "trick-or-treating" like most other kids. And like most other kids, I was oblivious to what the holiday was all about...I was just out there for the candy! :D The observance of Halloween was a lot more on the innocent side back then than it has seemingly become in the years since, and what really bothered me was what I saw while traveling several years ago. I was driving through a town that was having its "trick-or-treating", and there were these pre-teens dressed up as Freddy Krueger and Jason whooping it up and treating these evil characters like they were some sort of heroes. I did not like that at all. Back when I was a kid the characters we dressed up as (even the monsters) were obviously make-believe and not all that "threatening", whereas the characters of more recent Halloweens are just a little too close to reality (i.e Freddy Krueger being a glorified child abuser, and Jason being a representation of real life seriel murderers). Evil tends to be taken far too lightly in our society today, and it is for that reason that I have over the years become sour on the observance of Halloween. As Christian parents my wife and I debated whether to let our daughter go "trick-or-treating" when she was younger--we ended up letting her go, but only allowed her to dress up as "good" characters. Am I overreacting when it comes to Halloween? Possibly. I'm just concerned about all the evil that is in the world, and how we don't need to glorify it. Anyhow, my wife and I haven't handed out candy for Halloween over the past several years, but that has been mainly because we were simply not home at the time. This coming Saturday evening (when our town has "trick-or-treating") we will be handing out candy, realizing that, at least for the younger kids, Halloween can still be simply be a time when we can open the door of our home and show love and hospitality to our area kids.

One additional note, for what it is worth: my mom passed away suddenly of a heart attack on Halloween 2000.

Robert J. ("Bob") Welch III

"If you were the only person who ever lived, God still would have sent Jesus His only Son to die on the cross for YOU, because that is how much HE LOVES YOU!"

Lone Chicken...

That's it for me, simply a time of year when I can have some fun, whether "spooky" (and most of the "spookiness" I like is of the comic variety, like ol' Herman there) or just a chance to see my two year old grandson dressed up as Spiderman, and jumping all over the place pretending he's shooting webs at the bad guys. As I mentioned, it was just an all-encompassing time to reacquaint myself with people I usually don't see all year, smell some good brisk fall air...get a little creative perhaps with strobe lights and black lights, etc. I was raised in a "There's no such things as ghosts" environment, so I never thought there was much harm in it.

Now, I'm not quite as sure about the "no such things as ghosts" bit...but, they leave me alone. I guess they have more interesting houses to haunt. :D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Im sorry Lone Chicken, I accept your religious beliefs but Halloween is FAR from evil. Part of the fun of it is being scary. I hate costumes that are all happy looking (unless it is a girl cuz they always want to be princesses). It is supposed to be scary. You know-- haunted houses, ghosts, goblins. I think originally it was a pagan holiday, all hallows eve. Regardless, I know it has had a big positive impact on my life and I always chose something scary as opposed to something happy. People can get carried away trying to control everything instead of having a good time. I am a good person and I love thy nieghbor and try not to judge people, and I know that we will all be known by our works. I am not Christian but I embrace this idealogy as just simple logic in a world full of chaos.

I heard this comedian on HBO, the bald guy from 'Mr.Show'. Anyways, he said something quite pertanent. He brought up how alot of people think violent video games make people into serial killers and thugs.. Then he says, "gee, I wonder what games the Nazis played?!" I thought that spoke volumes on our society and the 'witchhunt' that prevails that casts blame on everything and everyone. I don't know what the truth is about why we have so much violent crime. Maybe its because the media markets fear. Maybe it is cuz the middle class is dissapearing. Maybe its cuz of ethinic diversity.. Maybe this, maybe that.

I dunno, I know if you raise your kids to be good people it won't matter if they dress up like Dracula on Halloween.

Lone Chicken,

Halloween goes back to pre-Christian times and has always had pretty sinister connotations. It was originally a festival that heralded the onset of the long cold dark months and the "death" of summer. People have been dressing like ghouls, spectres and evil spirits on Halloween for centuries. What better way for superstitious people to calm their real fear of the unknown than by dressing like the objects of their fear and prancing around?

I'm guessing that most of the kids who dress as Freddy Krueger and Jason are basically doing the same thing. Not so much idolizing them (although they ARE powerful figures and as such are probably pretty appealing to adolescent boys) as making them more familiar and less scary.

In any case I used to LOVE halloween. One year I went as a Pac-Man machine. That was totally cool. My mom traced out the design on a big box and I painted it. Cut holes for my eyes and hands and I was on my way until I tripped and fell flat on my face. Couldn't get back up since I couldn't bend my legs or arms in the box. My friends just stood around me and laughed! :D

I also dressed as a mummy one year and ended up dragging around 20' of bandage.

Most of the kids in my neighborhood make no effort whatsoever. We now have a rule that if they don't wear a costume, they don't get anything. We've gotten egged a few times but I refuse to yeild.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by AgentCooper:

Gabriel!!!! ; }

Dude, I changed my Avatar several hours ago! But seriously, I may get a long black wig and a pair of floods and walk around with a tape deck on Sunday night.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Flagship & Gabrielee are right on the mark.

The holiday is Samhain (pronounced "sow-hen"), and it is the Celtic/Pagan festival of the dead. Christians "co-opted" it when they strove to conquer the Celts, creating All-Hallows Day (ie. All-Saints Day), and therefore Halloween (short for "All Hallows Eve").

Samhain celebrates ancestors, and seeks to have them watch over the living during the long, cold and dark winter months. Traditionally the "spooks" represented were the spirits of the departed (not werewolves, vampires, witches, etc.), and there were offerings for them.

Halloween just grew out of this tradition. Instead of the spirits of your ancestors, it became about ghosts and goblins, and later about all manner of things that are scary. The offerings became treats for children, and then "trick-or-treat".

Despite it's mutations over the centuries, it is still a time when we look into the dark, and try not to be afraid. Some do it by dressing up like the scary stuff (to lessen it's power over us), some dress up as happy or funny things (in a sense, "whistling past the graveyard"), and all who celebrate it try to throw joy and laughter into the face of darkness, evil, and the unknown.

It's orignal roots as a festival to help protect you durning the hard winter months may be a bit dated in this day and age, but darkness is still out there, and I believe that Halloween may help us to deal with it a little easier.

(Okay, I'm done now... :rolleyes: ).

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by AgentCooper:

Speaking of Christian co-opting of holidays, if one is good, DOUBLE is MORE ; } ...And Tim Burton's NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS is

two -

two -

two holiday mints in one!

You know, I've never seen that movie. :rolleyes:

It's funny, but Christmas is another "co-opted" holiday. Not the birth of Jesus, per-se, but the choice of when to celebrate it. There is nothing to indicate that he was born at that time of year (and a few things suggest that he was born a a different time of the year). However, most cultures have some kind of celebration of light in the midst of winter (the darkest time of the year). Putting the celebration of the birth of Jesus (known as "the Light of the World") at this time was just a way to maintain this tradition. Cultures who don't have to give up their beliefs and celebrations completely, but rather merely adjust them are easier to subsume.

Note: I am not saying anything bad about christianity. Merely pointing out that when it was being spread across the world, those who were in charge saw that combining existing cultures into their own rituals made the process easier and somewhat smoother.

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

NMcGhoultar,

Indeed. My thoughts exactly. A great DVD to have BTW. Not only is the movie an artistic animation triumph, but the extra features on the process are considerably above par - especially for anim buffs.

Nice posts Mcgoultar, sounds like you know your history. I am interested in ancient Pagan beliefs. I think it is cool how their understanding of God included a feminine side. Make perfect sense really. I mean women are the real miracle workers when they carry a baby for 9 months and give birth.

I'm not a Paganist. I just have an open mind and I am curious about all religions.

Originally posted by flagshippyre:

OK, what costume would you choose out of these?

1> Dracula

2> Frankenstein

3> Ghoul

4> Goblin

5> Witch

6> Skeleton man

7> Invisible man---nice costume

8> Troll

9> Demon

10> Ghost and or Specter..

11> Member of Kiss

12> Pumpkin------?

Well, I've done numbers 1 & 11 (Ace). Of the Halloween "regulars", I've also been the Mummy, and the werewolf.

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Archived