Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

broken roland cube 30 what should i do ????????

zachg

how much does the average tech cost to replace a speaker, especially at a chain store(i.e. sam ash, guitar center)?

how much does the average 40 watt(or so) 12" replacement go for?

if my amp puts out 30 watts, what should the speaker handle(to go with the last question)

THANKS!!!!! :wave:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Different models and different brands of speaker will cost different amounts. As for the tech, why not do it yourself? It's pretty easy - just a few screws and a couple of wires.

As for the rating of the speaker, different folks will have different opinions on that, too. Some people like to have a much higher capcity from the speaker (which will keep it's sound clean and pure - it won't breakup and add it's own distortion to the sound of the amp), while others like the sound of a speaker that is really being pushed to (or past) it's limits.

What kinds of sounds are you looking for?

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by zachg:

im looking to allow the amp/pre-amp(roland cube 30) control the sound, i don't want any extra distortion besides that which i dial in myself.

I'm with Neil about doing it yourself. It's not more than four nuts and the two wire clips. The clips usually slide on and off the contacts on the speaker. Just make sure you don't confuse positive with negative. Switching the leads will make the speaker work backwards, if you can imagine that.

As for the speaker, I would get one that is rated the same as the one currently in the combo. If the speaker isn't labeled clearly, then look through the owner's manual, or at the manufacturer's specs.

As for price, a 12" speaker can range from $30 to $200. It depends: For what are you looking?

Are you replacing because you want a change? Or are you replacing the speaker because you want to experiment with a different one?

Vinny Cervoni

vcbluzman@hotmail.com

www.bluzberrypi.com

www.42ndstband.com

im pretty sure i've blown the speaker- all of a sudden the other day, it started sounding really odd. very trebely for an amp that's clean channel is dubbed "jazz chorus channel" and the eq stopped being effective. im pretty sure i've pushed the speaker to far. i must say, this thing has held up against a lot!!! i've used it full blast for my tele, acoustic, and even bass on many occasion.

Hmmm.....

Sounds like the problem might be something other than your speaker. The fact that the EQ doesn't do anything sounds like maybe you've fried something in the channel (or it could be a tube, but I think the Cube is a solid-state, no?).

I'd recommend getting another speaker to test it with first (it could even be an old stereo speaker). Whatever you use doesn't have to sound good, it just needs to work. This should be able to tell you if things like your EQ are working. If the same problem persists, then it's probably not your speaker.

I can't seem to find out what speaker Roland uses in the Cube 30, but their site says it's a 10", not a 12".

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

• 3 weeks later...

some backround on my problem- have a roland cube 30(10" speaker) no problems until recently heres the outcome of what i saw when looking internally-

well i opened up the amp, everything seems to be fine. what could be wrong? speaker seems fine, wires seem fine, yet i get a consistent trebly sound with loss of volume on all the amp models and clean channel. i can still dial in a distortion or effects, it's as if i am only using the bridge p/up with the gain turned up, at a low volume(no, m tele is fine!!!!)

any ideas!!!??? should i bring it in to get fixed? it's only a $200 amp, will it be worth the money in repairs? btw, i've had it for about two years now, ordered it at my local(commack) guitar center.

thanks for your input!!!!!!!!!!

This link may just be the brochure for the amp, nothing more

http://rolandus.com/Specs_Brochures/cube30_15.pdf

Zach, go to these sites. I have the same amp, have had no problems but one of these might be able to help you.

www.rolandus.com/wizard

that's the support wizard with updates, documents, so on

Help Desk

www.rolandus.com/helpdesk

forums

www.rolandus.com/forums

Hope this helps, I would go for the helpdesk first.

thanks for those links to roland's sites- but they wouldn't turn up anything and the helpdesk website wouldn't work on my pc or the server is down or somethin :cry:

re: changing speaker, i think understand how to change it(though i do appreciate the info!!!!) but don't believe that is my problem.

it's very odd for this to happen to such a great amp. could be that i just abused it to much, though it took the abuse for 2 years, and im not sure why it didn't break earlier if i was doing something wrong with it.

more thoughts??????????? :confused::confused:

I had an old orange Roland Cube 20. I took it apart, and there was almost nothing there. Should be easy to repair.

I currently have a Cube 40. I drag it everywhere.

The Cube series of amps will not accept every speaker. Due to the size of the enclosure, you have to measure any replacement speaker that you pick, for fit.

But your problem, as described, does not sound like a speaker issue. Sounds like an electronic problem. If the 30 is near as simple as the 20, any guitar shop should be able to repair it for under $100.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by chad:

Chuck it and get a Fender Deluxe Reverb...

hey, not a bad idea. the amp only costs $200ish, it won't be worth the repair. i think i'll sell it on ebay and describe it's condition well.

thanks guys for the info.

Archived