Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Learning a new song

Darcy H

Just picked up the guitar again after a 30 year hiatus (convinced myself as a teen I had no talent and quit), run through a few method books over the past six months, and I'm wondering if I'm spreading myself too thin.

Being a fan of Lenny Breau to SRV to Django to R.L. Burnside to Jack Johnson to Robert Johnson, I've got a little of everybody on the go, even threw in a celtic jig. Both my acoustic and strat get a workout everytime I sit down.

Is it good to practice all over the place or is it better to concentrate on one tune or style until you get it wired?

www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you do what satidfies you, you'll have the desire to keep at it. But it wouldn't hurt to pick one tune and focus on it in addition to what you are doing, just to push yourtself to pay attention to the details.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

just play :thu:

Really, just do what you want to do as long as you get some good plank spankin in. The key is to have fun.

The forumite formerly known as Cooper.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Lennon

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will finally know peace." Jimi Hendrix

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." Jimi Hendrix

Yeah, as long as what you are doing keeps you playing, it's good. Focus on a few specific things once in a while (so you can get better - that's the biggest thing that will keep you playing), but don't make it a chore.

As long as you are enjoying it, you're already half-way there. :thu:

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by cwfno:

Originally posted by WolfZan:

find your weak spots and work on them.

weak spots: drugs, money, women.

gotta work on those :D

I keep workin' on those, but I still don't have 'em! :D

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Since I fairly recently came off a 16 or so year hiatus from playing, I can speak from "some" experience. I found it essential to just fool around with the "old stuff" for a while. I was actually surprised that I remembered as much as I did. Then once you have your groove back a bit, then you should dive into the "new stuff". IMHO if I just dived right into new stuff I probably would have got frustrated much quicker and would have probably sold my LP by now.

Good luck and welcome back!! :thu:

Thanks much for the welcome and the advice.

Just got myself one of those Hal Leonard How-To SRV DVD's...huge help compared to trying to learn from sheet-music.

How long does it take to develop the so-called "ear"? Right now I'm just trying to get my fingers in place in time....getting it..slowly but surely.

And where's the "bio page"?

As far as a bio, if you saw the nut in the Globe and Mail surfing while Nicole battered Nova Scotia...that was me.

www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

Archived