Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Earplugs re-re-re-revisited

Dennyf

Just tried a pair of the Etymotic Research ER-20 High-Fidelity Earplugs as recommended by Scary Muddy Cat in this thread.

They worked great for me! Compared to conventional plugs, they allow for a much more natural sound. So natural at first I didn't think I had them inserted correctly, or that I wasn't really getting much protection (until I took one out mid-song . . . it went right back in), but I had no ear fatigue at the end of the night.

Comfort-wise . . . well, they're flanges, which to me are not as comfortable as foam plugs, or my former-favorite Bilsom down plugs. But they're not exactly UNcomfortable, and the sound quality more than makes up for it. For example, one side-benefit was that other band members noted that I was speaking more naturally at appropriate volumes when we were on break. (With other plugs, I tend to speak too quietly).

As with all plugs, proper insertion is critical. And I suppose if you've never worn plugs, you're still gonna find they affect the way you perceive the audio spectrum. I don't think there's anything that you can stick in your ear that won't to some degree. But as an almost-lifelong plug wearer, I can say these are the best over-the-counter plug I've tried, fidelity-wise, and I've had some experience in the hearing-protection field.

I'm going to get a few more pairs to keep in my van and guitar cases and brief case. I'm also more eager to get a pair of custom-molds, now that I've heard how well the technology works.

To sum up, highly recommended. Thanks SM Cat! :cool:

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wear 'em more and the flanges conform easily to your ear canals - unless they are especially narrow. If I go through a period where I don't need them, when I use them again they are a little tight feeling. That, and I'm no longer used to having something in there...

I used those quite a bit in my gigging days. They do work well. A little insertion "trick" that worked well for me - I would put a little spit (yes, spit, and just enuf to wet it) on my finger, and then put it onto the plug - they go in much easier.

I got a pair of those a few months ago.

They really are quite good, and they are comfortable enough (in both feel and sound) that I actually started using earplugs for the first time in my life.

Then...

I started to sing more in my band, and I just can't seem to get used to it. With the plugs in I hear myself much louder than everything else (which makes perfect sense), but that, in turn causes me to have trouble getting a proper vocal volume, and really makes it hard for me to blend with another singer. So I stopped using them.

I really should just try to get used to 'em, since I do want to keep my hearing for a while...

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

• 2 weeks later...

They're a jelly-like earplug brand that are sold through mail order and retail music stores. They come in a small round plastic container to store them in.

They have a hole down the middle and don't seem to shut off the sound the way foam plugs do.

"Never back-up more than you have to"

REAL MEN PLAY TELECASTERS!

Archived