Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

20 years ago, question

Guitarzan

Guitar gear: Gibson The Paul, Peavey Classic amp (I still use the amp, sold the guitar)

I was recording on a TEAC 3340 open reel 4-track tape recorder. I think by then we were using the Casio CZ-101 synth. Within a couple of years I got the Sequential Circuits Tom drum machine and started on the path towards MIDI sequencing.

Listening to Material, Talking Heads, King Crimson, XTC, Eno, Peter Gabriel, Laurie Anderson...

My new wave band started evolving/devolving into an improv-performance art direction.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by WolfZan:

who or what was rocking your world 20 years ago?

Already asnwered that.

what did you play?

What was called "Contemporary Christian Music" but was in fact "Jesus Rock n Roll"

who were your favorite band?

Kerry Livgren & AD were pretty great, Phil Keaggy, was mighty good, and Bruce Cockburn was wonderful, but Mark Heard wrote the best songs.

what was your gear?

I had a frankenstein Jazzmaster, literally resurrected from parts, that had a regular jazzmaster pickup in the neck, a Gibson P90 in the middle, and a DiMarzio SDHP in the bridge. Weird and ugly as it was, it really was a great guitar. And, I played it through a Peavey Studio Pro 40 amp; it was solid state, and it had treble like an icepick in your ear, but it was a loud litle sucker. And I had some pedals; an Arion Analog Delay, a Roland Chorus Ensemble(the big green two-button box) and a few other things. I also had a Guild D-25M which I still own.

how does that compare to what you like, own, play now?

I wouldn't mind have the Jazzmaster back, but I love my Boogie.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

i was 11, and begging my mom to buy me a stand up bass or a drumset because the high school jazz band played for us and i was mesmerized.

at the time i just liked what my older brother liked - cab calloway, robert cray, robert johnson, stray cats, muddy waters - along with whatever was popular then.

didn't get a guitar for another 2 years :(

Rockin' my world was: Rush, Yes, Daniel Amos, Kerry Livgren, The Who.

I wasn't playing an instrument then but running sound for lots of small to medium live shows.

Equipment: anything I could scrounge together, old Peavey boards and bose speakers and tons of sm 58 clones :D

Me and my two dogs, Remington and Winchester

Wow! :eek:

That was Junior and Senior year of high school.

Definitely rocked by Van Halen, The Cars, Rush, Talking Heads, Bryan Adams, Huey Lewis & The News, AC/DC, Hall & Oates, and many others.

I have to mention James Taylor, Jim Croce and Billy Joel, but I'd been rocking to them for at least 6 years and the Beatles for 8 to 10 years. (I don't remember a time before listening to The Beatles. ;) )

I began jamming with a freshman (in my senior year) who thought I was an incredible guitar player. (I wasn't, but compared to him?? I was a god! :D ) So he insists he's going to get his buddies together with us to form a band and audition for a huge arts festival held every 4 years at our highschool called Focus On The Arts. I thought he was out of his mind. I'd never played in a band before. He brought a drummer, bass player and keyboard player (all freshman) and we created a setlist of (and I am not joking.. this was part of our set)...

• Huey Lewis & The News - Walkin' On A Thin Line
  • The Cars - Just What I Needed
  • The Cars - You Might Think
  • The Cars - Magic
  • Rush - The Spirit Of The Radio

My gear? :rolleyes:

• Peavey T-60
  • Peavey Pacer 40w solid state amp
  • MXR Distortion+
  • Boss AD-2? Analog Delay
  • Ibanez Phase-Tone Phaser
  • Crybaby Wah

I still own every piece of equipment on this list.. All but the guitar and amp work fine. The guitar is being re-wired (currently the neck pickup is hardwired to the output) and the amp needs a tech. Just to have one look at it would cost more than it's worth. Hell, they should charge me more than it's worth just for picking up the phone to take my repair request. :freak:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

1984 - Fender strat (japan with Kahler trem) into boss-sd1 into Fender sidekick reverb

I still use the boss pedal!!!

- due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been SWITCHED OFF

who or what was rocking your world 20 years ago?

In no particular order:

Beatles, The Who, Judas Priest, Stones

what did you play?

A pretty wide range of stuff (some jazz and classical, too!), but mostly what would come to be known as "classic rock" and some post-punk/new-wave stuff (The Clash, The Romantics, The Cars, etc.)

who were your favorite band?

Beatles

what was your gear?

'72 Les Paul Custom (which I still play, just not as much as I used to), a King Vox wah pedal (which I also still use), and a 120-watt Peavey Deuce (which I "loaned" to friend about 12 years ago... :rolleyes: )

how does that compare to what you like, own, play now?

I guess things haven't changed all that much, really, except that I've gotten way more into blues than I was 20 years ago. I've got more gear, but nothing too radical.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

In January of 84, I was banging out Black Sabbath and Judas Priest covers in my dad's basement.

In September of 84, I had just arrived at Berklee, and though previously exposed to the likes of Pat Metheny and the Dixie Dregs, my head was about to be imploded and remodeled by the likes of John McLaughlin and Allan Holdsworth.

Archived