Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what strings do you use?

guitars of OZ

G'Day from Oz.

I would like to know what type of strings most people use. What factors affect your purchase?

Are terms like 'cryogenically treated' and 'Nanoweb' just hype or do these products represent cutting edge technology in string manufacture?

Do you care if the strings are made in the USA or not?

Dose a round core really last longer than hexagon core?

I have been playing for 15 years, love gibson,marshall,fender,gretch,daddario,ghs,roland and maton.

looking forward to anyones reply.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I miss 5150's... :cry: Hey, don't laugh! They were good strings! :D

I know, I know... " were "! :P

But recently, it's been Elixir's.

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

i use GHS Thick'n'Thins for my tele, DR Pure Blues 11's for my 335, Martin Phosphor Bronze 12's or 13's on my acoustic, John Pearse Nuages on my gypsy guitars.

i don't know about the hex-core/solid-core debate, sure don't notice a huge difference.

There is quite a wide variety of designs, materials, and gauges available nowadays!

I can't speak for the "Cryogenic"-crowd, but "Nanoweb" and other similar approaches are very "real"; they're refering to either the entire string (at least, the wound strings, if not all of 'em), or the winding wire used on wound strings, being coated with various materials to protect the strings from corrosion and crud build-up from sweat, oils, beer, wing-sauce, you name it.

Peronally, I prefer DR ("Dee-Arr") "Pure Blues" (pure nickel wrap, round-core) and "Tite-Fit" (nickel plated steel wrap, round-core) round-wound "11s" or "10s" for electric guitars, and Martin "Marquis" (phosphor-bronze wrap, hex-core) round-wound "14s" for flat-top acoustics. I want to try DR's "Sunbeam" round-core strings for acoustic sometime, too. Their "Rare" strings for acoustics sound quite good, but I prefer heavier gauges than they come in!

Like FrankenJazz, I'll use very different strings and gauges to suit different guitars and the uses I intend for them. Brings out their individual personalities!

If I ever get a "jazz" guitar- or set one up as such- I'll likely go with either flat-wounds, or medium or heavy gauge roundwounds; Thomastik-Infeld makes a special "Be-Bop" line of round-wounds for jazz that uses a heavier core wire with finer winding/wrap wire that sound interesting. They make a set of either these, or flat-wounds, for George Benson now, and he seems to get a pretty good solid tone for jazz.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Dances With Werewolves:

There is quite a wide variety of designs, materials, and gauges available nowadays!

I can't speak for the "Cryogenic"-crowd, but "Nanoweb" and other similar approaches are very "real"; they're refering to either the entire string (at least, the wound strings, if not all of 'em), or the winding wire used on wound strings, being coated with various materials to protect the strings from corrosion and crud build-up from sweat, oils, beer, wing-sauce, you name it.

Peronally, I prefer DR ("Dee-Arr") "Pure Blues" (pure nickel wrap, round-core) and "Tite-Fit" (nickel plated steel wrap, round-core) round-wound "11s" or "10s" for electric guitars, and Martin "Marquis" (phosphor-bronze wrap, hex-core) round-wound "14s" for flat-top acoustics. I want to try DR's "Sunbeam" round-core strings for acoustic sometime, too. Their "Rare" strings for acoustics sound quite good, but I prefer heavier gauges than they come in!

I'm with DWW. I like DR strings and use them most. However, like DWW, I also use different strings for different guitars.

Example; on my jazz-box, I use GHS Nickle Rockers. These aren't flatwounds. However, the winds are a bit more flat than a round-wound.

Also, I do use different DR's on different guitars. On single-coil guitars, I use the hex-core DR's. On humbucker guitars I use round-core DR's.

Finally, if I see a name-brand string with a good reputation at a startlingly good sale-price, I'll try it!

Vinny Cervoni

vcbluzman@hotmail.com

www.bluzberrypi.com

www.42ndstband.com

I've been using Boomers 10's for a while and I've had great luck with them. Breakage is minimal and they keep their tone and stay in tune well. I'm playing tuned down a half step more and more recently so I'm thinking about trying something a bit beefier like 11's or 12's.

GHS Boomer .009's for about 20 years but I'll also use D'Addario .009's in a pinch. The Boomers are about the best strings for the price that I've ever found.
"We're just musician's.....here to thin the thickness of your skin." - Max Webster

There are a lot of good strings out there, but string preference seems to be a matter of personal taste rather than anything seriously tangible.

Elixr strings seem popular with the acoustic crowd.... but I didn't like them... they seemed too 'tight' or something. Martin strings like the Marquis have always been very popular, and I didn't like them either... sounded dull to me, and didn't last. Then Martin introduced the SPs, and they are what I have been using consistantly on acoustic ever since. I'm pretty picky about acoustic strings. I used D'Angelicos until they got to be too hard to source. I'd buy the heavys and understring them.

I use the Dean Markley Blue Steels on my electrics for no particular reason. DAddarios are just as good. I like Superwounds, too. I used to use Ernie Ball custom sets that I made up myself, but I got lazy. Few electric strings strike me as 'bad'. I have not tried anything seriously boutique, just the regular options available at regular stores. (oohhh... I take that back. I remember one cheap set was very rough and it felt as if I was running my fingers over a saw blade when I slid my fingers down the strings. But I don't remember what brand.)

I'd be open to trying things like Bjorked's suggestion though. I'm sure that somewhere out there, someone cares a little more and is offering a product that reflects their passion. When one finds a gem like that, it is usually worth the premium price.

I've seen people talk about webstrings.com for years, as a supplier of good strings at great prices. But I have a wholesale account at one of the major distibutors, so I buy brand names direct by the box. I can't really beat that pricing.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Chalk up another GHS Boomers fan - been using them (10's mostly) for 25 years or so, and whenever I have had to use something else it usually makes me mad. :D For acoustic, I've used Martin Marquis forever, but they do lose their brightness pretty quickly... I'll haveta try the SP's.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Chalk up another GHS Boomers fan - been using them (10's mostly) for 25 years or so, and whenever I have had to use something else it usually makes me mad. :D For acoustic, I've used Martin Marquis forever, but they do lose their brightness pretty quickly... I'll haveta try the SP's.

Oddly enough, my distributor does not handle GHS.

You'll hate the SP packaging, but you'll probably love the strings. My ex-second engineer called me from his job at his new studio to rave about them. Having already been unhappy with Martin strings, I was a hard sell. But this guy has serious ears.... one of the few guys that I would trust to do do my work for me. So I gave a set a try and now I buy them 2 boxes at a time.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Never thought there was much of a difference for electric strings. I mean new strings always sound great on electric. I always use Ernie Ball .010. I used .012 for a while but the lower strings got muddy so I switched.

For acoustic I DEFINATELY think that Elixirs are the best. I know D'adderio makes thier own version similar, but I haven't tried them. Elixirs stand head and shoulders above any normal strings for acoustic and they last alot longer. They are pricey for a 12 string ($24) but they last about 5 months if you play alot. I have used nano web and poly web and I prefer poly web cuz I think they last a bit longer. The one thing about Elixirs that is different from most strings is that they take a few days of playing before they really sound the best. It may have to do with the plastic coating. I think it wears off a little and makes the strings more resonant after 2 3 days. They sound SOO good for SOO long. Now when i play guitars without them they sound like they have a pillowcase over them

I like D'Addario XLs, but all I really care about is that they be made of solid nickel; stainless has a darkness in the tone I find irritating. Gauges, ususally 9-42 if I have been lazy about practicing between gigs, 10-46 if I've been playing a lot. But my Hamer Special FM has a little shorter acale, and that makes it possible to get a little easier bending out of heavier gauges strings. So sometimes I use Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkies, or Skinny TOIp/Heavy Bottoms on it. Great tone out of those, but the6y are finished after one gig. I can usually get two out of set of D'Addarios.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by TeleCarlos:

I buy bulk from Just Strings. Don't care the brand, the price is right and it is a "custom gauge" set. It's like a fresh pair of undies every week!!! Out they go as soon as they start feeling crunky.

I despise crunky underwear. I change mine once every two to three weeks, whether crunky or not. :eek::freak:

Archived