Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Billy Joel and Jackson Browne

Reverse the Curse

Does anyone else find Billy Joel addicting?

Seriously. I can't point out anything I like about his music, but I listen to him a lot, and once I start I cant stop.

And although my friends make fun of me for it, I listen to Jackson Browne. I think he is a great songwriter. But he is the opposite, I can only take so much of him.

Any thoughts?

The forumite formerly known as Cooper.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Lennon

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will finally know peace." Jimi Hendrix

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." Jimi Hendrix

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH MY GOD!!!! I'm the biggest billy fan ever! i've been hooked on him ever since my mom won tickets to see him on the radio! i can name everyone in his band- mark rivera(replaced rich cannata), doug stegmeyer, liberty devito!!! the're all great!!!! i know every word!!! every part for guitar, bass, piano(of course), even the harmonica parts in piano man, ballad of billy the kid, prelude/angry young man.

enough with billy-

jackson browne is great too!!! doctor my eyes, running on empty . . . . also the great tunes written for others- TAKE IT EASY , an AMAZING song!

your right on with billy and jackson!!!!!!!

my dad used to tell me that whenever Billy was on stage (before the days of the prompter) and he forgot the lyrics to a song, he would just look at Liberty and remember, like magic :eek:

I also saw Billy's musical, Movin out, is that wat it was called? O well, it was a good show for sure :thu::thu:

The forumite formerly known as Cooper.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Lennon

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will finally know peace." Jimi Hendrix

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." Jimi Hendrix

so far seen billy 2 times- 98 and 2002 face to face w/ elton john(i've seen him aone as well)

have the live at yankee stadium dvd, live millenium concert, greatest hits 1-3, all his vinyl lps! my parents think im a little obsessed, nahhhhhh :D:D:D:D:D it turns out that my friend is roomates with errin cannata, son of richie who is billy's long time friend and collaborator! i'm hoping to get to meet rich soon, and maybe billy!!! my friend has met him four times already. turns out that richie cannata also toured with brian wilson, my friend met hime too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Cooper:

Does anyone else find Billy Joel addicting?

Seriously. I can't point out anything I like about his music, but I listen to him a lot, and once I start I cant stop.

And although my friends make fun of me for it, I listen to Jackson Browne. I think he is a great songwriter. But he is the opposite, I can only take so much of him.

Any thoughts?

I'm totally with you! One of the first albums I'd ever owned was Billy Joel's 52nd Street (I was 11 or 12 when it was released). He is a great songwriter and will admit in interviews that he went to school on the Beatles. In my cd collection, I have most of his stuff. He always manages to record and play live with a great band, guitar players haven't been slouches.

I love Jackson Browne's songwriting as well. I have his greatest hits and enjoy it thoroughly.

Vinny Cervoni

vcbluzman@hotmail.com

www.bluzberrypi.com

www.42ndstband.com

Originally posted by The Vinerator:

...I'm totally with you! One of the first albums I'd ever owned was Billy Joel's 52nd Street (I was 11 or 12 when it was released)...

Wow! Sounds like we had parallel childhoods. :D

52nd Street was one of my first albums as well, and I was about the same age you were. ;) (What year were you born, if I may ask?)

From there I was hooked. The Stranger was a great album, but my next Billy Joel album was Songs In The Attic. It remains a favorite and one of the best live albums ever, IMO. That album led me to find his earlier material, much of it not as inspired on record, but wonderful in concert. (The early albums were studio musicians, before he hired a full time band. They played well, but mostly the songs didn't POP the way 52nd Street, The Stranger, and others did.)

I've only seen him in concert twice, both times in the 1980's. They were incredible concerts. :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by zachg:

"I've been hooked on him ever since my mom won tickets to see him on the radio!"

Really? What'd he look like, seeing him on the radio? ;):D

Some of Billy Joel's earlier, classic stuff, like "Captain Jack" and "Piano Man" are cool. I'm not a huge fan otherwise, though I certainly give him a lot more credit than, say, talentless dopes like Kid Rock.

Likewise with Jackson Brown; although the best part (for me) is when you get a David Lindley solo thrown in there!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Dances With Werewolves:

"I've been hooked on him ever since my mom won tickets to see him on the radio!"

:D that was a good one :thu:

Originally posted by Dances With Werewolves:

Some of Billy Joel's earlier, classic stuff, like "Captain Jack" and "Piano Man" are cool. I'm not a huge fan otherwise, though I certainly give him a lot more credit than, say, talentless dopes like Kid Rock.

Likewise with Jackson Brown; although the best part (for me) is when you get a David Lindley solo thrown in there!

Captian Jack was great. I like most of bj's stuff. May I call him bj?

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

[/QB]Originally posted by fantastic-hound of the Baskervilles:

52nd Street was one of my first albums as well, and I was about the same age you were. ;) (What year were you born, if I may ask?)

[/QB]

Neil,

I was born in 1968. The late 70's and early 80's blend a bit. I may have been a bit older when that record was released.

I've seen Billy at least four times. All four times were really rockin'!

vc

Vinny Cervoni

vcbluzman@hotmail.com

www.bluzberrypi.com

www.42ndstband.com

I don't find either of them addicting but the songs I grew up loving in the 70's and early 80's are stuck inside along with everything else.

They were great in their day and the stories they told captured the moments so well.

It's like when a song isn't dated you know because it takes YOU back to that time every time you hear it.

music has a quality about it that unites the heart and mind in ways other forms of art and expression rarely attain.

I also liked being introduced to David Lindley.. :thu:

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Originally posted by The Vinerator:

Originally posted by fantastic-hound of the Baskervilles:

[/QB]

Neil,

I was born in 1968. The late 70's and early 80's blend a bit. I may have been a bit older when that record was released.

I've seen Billy at least four times. All four times were really rockin'!

vc[/QB]

1967 :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I like Billy - especially his earlier stuff. Later on, he generally started getting too unhip for my tastes. Kind of like Elton did.

Jackson Browne IS a genius. In general, I prefer him over Billy Joel. Especially his 70's and 80's era stuff. And if you want to talk about guitar, it's hard to top David Lindley. :thu:

Have you seen Billy Joel on "Inside the Actor's Studio"? I have no idea why he was on a program focused on acting but it was a very entertaining interview.

I loved a section were he discussed "Honesty". Liberty DeVito would replace the "title lyric" in the song with a sexual explicit one. Starts with "sod-", fill in the rest. Very funny. There was another great story regarding lounge pianists who play the wrong changes in "Just the Way You Are".

I'm a sucker for "Just the Way You Are" (and I do play it right) and "Angry Young Man".

The only major fault I have with him is one that I have with McCartney: stay away from the completely self-indulgent, overreaching exercises in classical music. Haven't heard Elvis Costello "Il Sogno" yet, but it might also fall into this category.

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

And if you want to talk about guitar, it's hard to top David Lindley. :thu:

"El Rayo X"...what a rippin', guitar loaded, fun album.

Archived