Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Here's why I do what I do....

dave251

Got a real, bona fide present in my email this morning...an mp3 from a client. All the guitar parts(including the bass line) was recorded using this guitar:

http://www.electrocoustic.com/newimage/7thsevensmall.jpg

After I took the photo(this guitar was built "on spec"), the client had me add a bridge humbucker...and I think he used ALL the sounds in this recording(this is about 3 1/2 minutes long, so don't give up on it): "Se7en"

Here's the note that came with the mp3:

"Hi Dave

I bought a seven string from you about two months ago through the net here in California. I do remember that you asked for a 1 minute sample from me. Sorry I haven't done so because I really wanted to give it my best effort in playing and recording something. Well here it is and about 98% of this 3 minute instrumental piece is done on your guitar. I'm still new at the recording bit and it has been quite challenging squeezing this into my daily routine but I enjoyed every minute of it. Hope you appreciate it.

Just wanted to say thanks for making a fine and unique instrument at such a reasonable price. My desire to play and experiment has grown tremendously. I'm glad I own one and not an overpriced and over-hyped carbon copy of a name brand. Don't think I'll ever part with no. 89.

Best,

Edward"

Makes me feel like I'm doing the right thing when I hear music like this....

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice! Excellent music, not to mention the guitar (she's a beaut)!

Uhmn, what 2% of the recording is not done with that guitar? (I don't want to assume anything, even if it seems obvious; good guitarists with good guitars- and other gear- are full of surprises...)

(Caevan O'Shite)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Pretty ga-rooovy stuff. You gotta feel like a proud father watching his daughter play her first recital or something. Have you ever made a baritone 6 string instrument? What would you charge for one?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by Crypt picker:

Have you ever made a baritone 6 string instrument? What would you charge for one?

I have yet to do a six string bari...but I have done a 7 string, with a super long scale...29.5"....here's a recording of that one.

http://www.electrocoustic.com/audio/7string%20bari.mp3

Very sweet lookin' guitar :love::thu:

Cool sound too :cool::thu:

This is the first time that I've heard a 7-string guitar (all by itself, and knowing what it was), and I was very impressed. Almost like havin' your own bass on the same axe :cool:

Nice work! :thu:

btw, was the sound clip with or without the HB pup?

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Originally posted by Dave da Dude:

btw, was the sound clip with or without the HB pup?

Thanks for all the nice comments...

Dave, there are two humbuckers on the guitar...they usually come with one, and of course the piezo in the bridge. I combine the two with a simple, special circuit I call the "MagPi"....

So when Edward ordered the guitar, I added ANOTHER humbucker at the bridge, and if my memory serves, it also had a coil/split on it.

There's a four position Tele style blade switch on the south side of the pg...so, starting with pos. #1, towards the neck, you have: #1--MagPi(electroCoustic), #2--neck HB, #3--neck & bridge HB, #4--bridge HB. Then of course you can drop the inside coil on the lead pup using the coil/split switch. LOTS of different tones.

And C o'S, as far as I know, all of the bass and guitars parts were done on this instrument.

My boss, a non-music and non-guitar person, just looked at the picture and listened to the sound clip and he thought the guitar and the tone were awesome :cool::thu:

Keep up the good, no make that GREAT, work :thu::thu:

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

That's nice Dave.

Edward did a fine job making some really good music with that guitar.

Sounds to me like the 2% is a bit of piano, organ/synth & maybe an oboe? at the end.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by dave251:

I have yet to do a six string bari...but I have done a 7 string, with a super long scale...29.5"....here's a recording of that one.

Pretty wonderful sounding stuff. What would you charge for a long scale 6 string bari?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by Crypt picker:

Originally posted by dave251:

Pretty wonderful sounding stuff. What would you charge for a long scale 6 string bari?
CP- I don't discuss pricing openly on the board. You can get a good idea by looking at my website on the "Instruments" page. I don't charge extra for a long scale, although a seven string is a bit more. Thanks for asking.

Archived