Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Les Paul Pickups in a Strat!?!?!?

JCCJ

I am curious if anyone has ever put a set of Les Paul Pickups in a Strat! I have always wondered about doing that with my Strat since it is already chambered out for Humbuckers. I'm thinking 490 and 498's. If so, how did it sound? Any better than Seymor Duncan's?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by greenboy:

I've always liked the Duncan JB.

My Hamer Special FM has A JB in the bridge position, and it screams. The neck pickup is a Duncan Vintage '59, and both of them are 4 wire. So, I had a coil tap installed that cuts the two inside coils, and in the neck position it makes a very convincing strat sound, and the bridge pickup is very Tele-ish. It's as versatile as any guitar I have ever owned and it looks as beautiful as it sounds.

I'd love to have one of the Hamer Specials with P90s, in TV Yellow. They make GREAT stuff.

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by JCCJ:

I am curious if anyone has ever put a set of Les Paul Pickups in a Strat! I have always wondered about doing that with my Strat since it is already chambered out for Humbuckers. I'm thinking 490 and 498's. If so, how did it sound? Any better than Seymor Duncan's?

It certainly works and gets a good sound. If you've seen Buddy Guy lately, he's had one of his polka-dot strats modified. He had the three single coils replaced with two humbuckers. I have a strat with the hum-sing-hum configuration with three on-off toggle switches so I can have any combination of the pickups.

As for Gibson's vs. Duncans, it's an individual taste thing. See if you can try those pick-ups in other guitars before you buy anything. Just bear in mind that a humbucker in a Gibson is going to sound very different from a humbucker in a Fender. The difference in scale length contributes significantly to the difference in sound. To my ears, the Gibson scale gives the guitar a warmer tone.

Happy shopping! And, welcome to the forum! :wave:

Vinny Cervoni

vcbluzman@hotmail.com

www.bluzberrypi.com

www.42ndstband.com

I have this snipped out article from a guitar magazine of years ago that has a diagram and instructions to "hotrod" the Strat's innards so that with a flick of the pickup switch, you can switch between humbucker and single coil sound - WITHOUT putting in humbuckers. The cost to modify? About $14. I wanna get it done.

Archived