Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Going direct questions...

EmptinesOf Youth

K, ive got a pretty good sound with micing my Crate combo, a better sound than micing my Marshall cab. Just for fun i tried to go direct from my pedal (Boss GT-6)...into my Mixer and then the computer.......it has the following outputs: Left, Right, Phones, then an External send and return.....

Ive tried all but the Send and Return, with horrible results....any ideas?

thanks

ryan

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is the output on the pedal a stereo out? If not, is there a stereo headphone jack out? Run a stereo cable out into the mixer (2 channels or stereo in) and pan them. Then run the out from the mixer, through the phone jack into the line in on the computer (With a stereo cable). If you have a left and right input on your sound card, then run the left and right channel out of the mixer into the sound card. Also, use a good EQ if you have one.

Can you describe the "horrible results"?

I'm wondering if it is a matter of gain somewhere in the process. There is a "Level" knob by the left & right outputs, you might want to try using those to connect to your mixer, and adjusting the level (it also might help to adjust the inpu level on the mixer).

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Is there (hopefully) a speaker/cab simulator on your Boss GT-6 that you switch on when recording direct?

If not, I see why you'd be in a world of hurt, especially with distorted sounds, since that amp speaker you've been micing has a huge tone shaping effect on your sound, and if there's nothing simulating it when going direct...YECH. Fizz city.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

yea it has a bunch of different output selects, i havent tried it but i just dont think itd make that much difference, cause it alters the sound but its barely producing a listenable sound as it is....ive been working with it and i think im just gonna stick with micing for now...thanks for the help tho

dig that instruction book out, the GT6 has tons of options. if you are hooking up to a pc try the digital out. most of the patches have the output set at a default setting, there is a big difference in the speaker sim and standard amp use settings. the songs i have on soundclick are all done with a gt6 straight into a pc with the digital out. but thats about all i know because it was done at my buddies house and he is the recording guy, i am only the dumbass holding the guitar. :D

Originally posted by DeadlinessOFYouth:

yea it has a bunch of different output selects, i havent tried it but i just dont think itd make that much difference, ....

Okay, I'm a big fan of micing an amp. I don't go direct anymore.

But one of the tools that these boxes provide is the cabinet emulation software. If you are going to try to go direct, check out the various emulations. That is why they are there. You will like the rsult better than going direct without the emulations, once you find the right combo. You may have to adjust/re-set the effects that you are using to make them work in a direct situation... what works going through your amp probably will be a little less workable going direct.

Basically, it takes time to fuss with the stuff. if you don't have the time or inclination to fool around with the pedal, then keep using your time-honored technique of micing the cabinet.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Question: the crappy quality you can get from going direct - is that due to low quality or certain-grade preamp? For me, all I can do presently is sample my guitar in my keyboard with it's amp sim effects or general effects (and tons others).

Archived