Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

bits and bobs for guitars

bty3056

Hi guys,

ive been thinking for a while that i would like a new electric, but i don't have much money for the kind of guitar that i would like ( a 335 style/ hollow) that doesn't look a bit crap. Do you think I should buy some of the parts separately (so the body+neck, then the bridge + tuners etc) to build up a guitar? I think it might be fun to do. Do you know any sites or anywhere where I could look at separate bits and pieces? thoughts?

thx

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is far more expensive to buoild a guitar from parts than to buy the equivalent guitar outright.

You want a 335 look? Check out Samick and Washburn, both of whom have a 335 clone. My neighbor bought the Washburn. It was around $400.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

First off, thanks very much for the help.

The main thing that I look for in a guitar is playability, as at the moment i am planning on putting on good tuners, bridge and pups anyway. I'm just worried that if i buy a cheap axe it may not be what i want in terms of feel. Do you think I should get the neck and body for about $400 or a whole guitar for around that price or cheaper? One of the reasons i thought buying a parts guitar would be good is because i could slowly slap on things i need as i get money. Would i be able to get the quality i want at a low price or should i put all the features i want together anyway? I heard agiles are good, though shipping to UK costs more. Thanks very much for the help.

I don't know what a Squire costs in the UK, but a Squire is a cheap guiytar that plays well, sounds fine and is great to learn on. Wish there had been something anywhere near as nice when I was learning.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by bty3056:

"I'm just worried that if I buy a cheap axe it may not be what I want in terms of feel."

Then, get out there and feel some!

What the Hell is everyone's problem these days, ordering guitars online or from catalogs and being surprised that they just might not get exactly what they were hoping for?

Unless you really know what you're looking for, and how to suss it out from a pic and a few glib lines of sales-hype, buying a guitar online is, frankly, quite ridiculous. Hit some shops, play a wide variety of axes, all types, all price ranges that you can get your hands around! Try more than one of the same make and model, no two are exactly alike... Take youre time, don't make a snap decision; take days and weeks and months, look for the one that really speaks to you, then sleep on it, and try it out again and see...

As for building an old-school arched- or carved-top semi-hollow, you'd better be an experienced woodworker of some kind; I don't believe that anybody is selling pre-fab bodies of that kind, let alone necks made for a glued-in, set-neck style joinery. That's not to say that you couldn't do very well with bodies and necks from, for example, Warmoth (I love them!), it's just that what's available isn't exactly what you describe there, that is, a 335-stylee...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

First off, thanks very much for the help.

The main thing that I look for in a guitar is playability, as at the moment i am planning on putting on good tuners, bridge and pups anyway. I'm just worried that if i buy a cheap axe it may not be what i want in terms of feel. Do you think I should get the neck and body for about $400 or a whole guitar for around that price or cheaper? One of the reasons i thought buying a parts guitar would be good is because i could slowly slap on things i need as i get money. Would i be able to get the quality i want at a low price or should i put all the features i want together anyway? I heard agiles are good, though shipping to UK costs more. Thanks very much for the help.

Building a parts guitar isn't as easy as one might think. You could get in over your head and lose the money you've invested in parts.

Products coming out of Korea these days are relatively impressive for the cost. Check out the Washburn, Epi, the Korean Hamer, or others of the 335 copies. Again, usually, the wood is pretty nice looking, assembled and finished well. If you can pick up one and find it very playable, then, as time and money permits, you can improve the tuners, pick-ups and pots.

Good luck!

Vinny Cervoni

vcbluzman@hotmail.com

www.bluzberrypi.com

www.42ndstband.com

"What the Hell is everyone's problem ... ridiculous" etc

I'm sorry if you find my "newbie" ramblings annoying, i just was looking for a decently priced hollow bodied guitar to compliment my Roland Blues Cube. I have searched extensively in all the guitar shops in my area for months but haven't found one that suits me yet. I was just wondering if a guitar made to my specifications would be worth trying, and if anyone knew of any good sites.

Thanks very much for the suggs Bill, but I'm not really looking for a strat as i have a copy at home. But thanks all the same, you're such a helpful guy.

I might opt for the les paul special double cut style body in the Warmoth thingy, as I really like the look of it.

Thanks for all the help, i really appreciate it evrybody

Cheers vin!

Ill definately check out the suggested brands. If i were to custom make a guitar then i would get a pro to assemble it.. but i guess it all adds up -so Ill take a look at some of the suggestions.

Thanks again for all the help - it's so refreshing to have such an active, nice forum.

ta ta

"What the Hell is everyone's problem ... ridiculous" etc

I'm sorry if you find my "newbie" ramblings annoying, i just was looking for a decently priced hollow bodied guitar to compliment my Roland Blues Cube. I have searched extensively in all the guitar shops in my area for months but haven't found one that suits me yet. I was just wondering if a guitar made to my specifications would be worth trying, and if anyone knew of any good sites.

Thanks very much for the suggs Bill, but I'm not really looking for a strat as i have a copy at home. But thanks all the same, you're such a helpful guy.

I might opt for the les paul special double cut style body in the Warmoth thingy, as I really like the look of it.

Thanks for all the help, i really appreciate it evrybody

no one is annoyed by the questions dude, "dancing" is just trying to help you make a good choice. even with identical guitars there can be a lot of difference in tone. :D

bty3056- please, accept my apologies; while I didn't mean it quite that way, I can see that I was careless in the way I kinda hastily typed that reply, and that it reads a lot more hostile (and seemingly personally directed) than I intended.

I misunderstood you, as well. There does seem to be a lot of buying guitars online based on speculation these days, though.

I hope that some of my post was at least a little bit helpful!

Cheers vin!

Ill definately check out the suggested brands. If i were to custom make a guitar then i would get a pro to assemble it.. but i guess it all adds up -so Ill take a look at some of the suggestions.

Thanks again for all the help - it's so refreshing to have such an active, nice forum.

ta ta

yes, pros cost money - s :wave:

vc

Vinny Cervoni

vcbluzman@hotmail.com

www.bluzberrypi.com

www.42ndstband.com

god i feel horrible now!

i'm so sorry i had a go, :( but now i really do appreciate your comments. It must have taken ages to type up all of that and it really is very helpful. I apologise that i misinterpreted your comments. I'm soundin like a frikkin' gobshite on these forums already!

Anyways, thanks everyone for all the input, ur all great guys.

god i feel horrible now!

i'm so sorry i had a go, :( but now i really do appreciate your comments. It must have taken ages to type up all of that and it really is very helpful. I apologise that i misinterpreted your comments. I'm soundin like a frikkin' gobshite on these forums already!

Anyways, thanks everyone for all the input, ur all great guys.

BTY,

No need to apologize! We're here because we love this stuff and love to chat about it. Take advantage of the fact that we enjoy helping people like you.

What I'd meant to say in my last post (somehow a bunch of it didn't make the site) is that pro techs or luthiers in my neck of the woods can cost anywhere from $40 per hour to $100 per hour. Hand assembling a set-neck (glued-in) guitar will take a bunch of time!

Good luck! And, please, let us know what you do.

Vinny

Vinny Cervoni

vcbluzman@hotmail.com

www.bluzberrypi.com

www.42ndstband.com

My two ¢,

I've been looking for the same thing for a year or two now. The closest I've come to finding one that I both could enjoy playing (playable action for me), sounded good, and wasn't too much money (I know, that's three things :freak: ) has consistently been the Ibanez Artcore. The model I like the best is the AS73-TR (the TR is the color, Transparent Red), and I found a great (action, tone) example of it 20 minutes from where I work; but I can't even justify the expense of its price tag of $390 (USD).

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

I'm with Dave on this one. The Ibanez Artcores are fantastic guitars for the price. I use one as my main axe these days (as the Les Paul Custom & the Strat gather more dust than I'd really like them to...).

You might also want to look at Hamer. They make some really nice guitars in the same price-range.

While building/assembling a guitar can be a great experience, it can also be a real chore, too. And, as several have mentioned, it will cost you more money to build it yourself than it would to purchase a similar/comparable guitar - manufacturing has gotten awfully efficient, consistent, and accurate. Quality has gone way up in "cheap" guitars. Check out a few at your local music shop(s), and see if something suits you.

BTW, welcome to the forum! :wave:

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Maybe you can find an old Harmony Rocket. I used to have one (that I foolishly sold many moons ago... :rolleyes: ) in the 335 shape. The pickups were single coils designed by DeArmond, but it had a great tone and very little hum. :thu:

Speaking of DeArmond, Squier has (had?) a line of DeArmond guitars, one of which was a 335 style, IIRC.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Hey, bluestrat! Good to see ya! :cool:

"god i feel horrible now!

Anyways, thanks everyone for all the input, ur all great guys."

No, don't feel horrible, and you've got nothin' to apologise for!

"Gobshite"? Too funny! My usual screen-name diplayed here is "Caevan O'Shite"; we've all been screwin' around with various names, avatars, 'n' personae for Halloween around here, hence "Dances with Werewolves"...

Originally posted by Hell Fire Jazz:

everytime i glance at this thread title i see Tits and Boobs for Guitar :freak::D

dude i thought i was the only one. hah i kept doing a double-take every time i glanced at the thread title.
Then you'll never hear surf music again...

Archived