Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CRAIG! Please help a fellow Acid 3.0 User!

I love acid but i'm having trouble w/ resolution on the final Mix! the samples i use are 44.1/16bits, they are all extracted from well advertised, Great sounding Sample Cds (read 'very Good sound Quality Pro Sample Cd's'). A few samples are free downloads from the net...no significant low quality sound, if any...I'm doing the best job possible with EQ'n at sample level,(premastering),Individual track Levels, and i'm converting the Mix to a final track/finished mix to 44.1/16 bit single track/wave.file(by using acid's own feature).... now my questions are: -could the low quality/resolution of my finished track(and the samples in it) be due to: a)over processing/samples?(loosing resolution while processing samples, adding fx,etc. at sample level and having to decrease gain on the output?)(I read on 'keyboard' that on sound forge, (craig...i believe this was your article on bit smashing) when you decrease the volume/gain level you loose a certain amount of bit resolution in the process...does this apply to Acid and/or all other FX/EQ processing in which you have to decrease the gain in order to avoid clipping levels ? b)decreasing the levels on each track/loop in the mix on Acid Pro? c) Could my PCI soundcard audio capabilities(or my internal CD burner for that matter) have anything to do w/ this loss of resolution?,,, i;m burning the final mix on cd , so i can check the mix in different systems... After the single wave.file conversion of the mix, i've done a little mastering by doing some final EQ'ing and then i also ran it thru L1+Ultramaximizer...like i said before the resolution was not crisp like i would like, and (although could have ran it through 'Wave's Stereo imager' to enhance/broaden the stereo field,) the mix was a bit narrow as well... Now let me expose this crazy theory and tell what you guys think...If the loss of resolution was caused by the decrease in gain during processing and track levels during mixing...If i were to convert all my 16 bit samples to 24 bit resolution using 'WAVES IDR PLUG IN' and only WavesProcessing/Fx and EQ'ing,(instead of Sound Forge's) and tracking/mixing/using/looping those samples in Acid Pro still at 24 bits, and converting the final track/mix to a single wave.file at still 44.1/24 bits...and only converting to 44.1/16bits until after mastering ....would that alleviate any of the loss in resolution?...or is it Acid that's not that good at keeping it during the mix?...or am i just fucking up somewhere else...? i'm also having trouble changing Acid's default playback device, (Options-Preferences-Wave-Playback device) it's only showing a)Microsof/windows Wave Mapper b)Windows Classic Sound Mapper (actually i can't remember exactly how they read, but it;s something like that,sorry, i'm not home rite now!) but it's not even showing me my PCI sound card(Sound Blaster live 5.1 Audigy, coolass IR DRIVE TowerDriveBayPanel, fucking thing it's even got a remote control!...hope it records[ad/da 24 bit resolution] as good as it looks!) as an option, i go to 'advance'-'Default playback device', and clicking on it (it only shows the card here!...along w/ the synth table, midi, sound mapper, etc.) does not highlight the 'apply' button , so no changes can be made....clicking 'ok' is not working....I went to -control panel-multimedia device-properties- and chose the 'SBL 5.1' as prefered playback device(checked use prefered device only box), still no luck!, what else can i try? This message has been edited by ovnis7@yahoo.com on 10-17-2001 at 07:39 PM

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't start converting 16 bit to 24 bit, etc. Let's start back at the beginning. Please forgive me in advance if I seem to make some simplistic points, but I have no idea about what you've done so far... It could be helpful for you to describe what you are hearing at your final mix - that you describe as low quality/resolution. But beyond that - there are several considerations. - Are the samples you are using stereo? You must keep in mind that using stereo samples will make it more difficult to place the part in the final mix. If you are using several stereo samples you could be simply laying them on top of one another, and then they are all interacting, cancelling one another here and there and boosting one another elsewhere. The whole of the parts can definitely become worse sounding than the individual parts. You might want to convert some of those samples to mono so you can place them in the mix more easily. - Always keep in mind that each part in your mix has to have it's own place in the sonic landscape. For instance, a strummed guitar and a male vocal share a lot of the same frequency space. In order for you to be able to hear each part better together, you need to apply EQ to one or both of them so that they don't step on each other. - If the samples sound good through your soundcard individually, then I wouldn't blame the card for the sound of the mix. It is important to root out problems in each sample, and then root out problems you encounter as you begin mixing the samples together. There could be some problem with your sound card, etc., and I am not giving you any advice about getting Acid to look at the correct card. But I would encourage you to go back to the basics and make sure that the basics are right. I think it was Eric (Curve Dominant) who told us "A great meal is created by combining the best ingredients simply." This is good advice for mixes as well.
- Calfee Jones

I may have use the term 'low resolution' a bit loosely...a better description would be that the final mix is basically sounding quite dull, (as mono tends to sound, of course the Mix and all the loops are Stereo), almost distant and narrow(stereo field), without much luster...I've been thinking about what it could be, and i don't think i used much/enough compression(i didn't wanna go overboard w/it)...I've been too busy trying to finish my next project to go back and try out somethings on the ones in question...I'm thinking about running the whole mix through the C1 with a bit more ratio, then L1 and tinker w/ the Stereo Imager see what happens, maybe that would help some...where should i place the stereo imager in this last process chain? ...Hey craig, what do you think might be the problem w/ not being able to change my playback device?

Archived