Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you like dark songs?

LiveMusic

Man, I do. There have been threads of SSS but I don't know about here.

First, I have ALWAYS like darker sounding songs. I love minor chords.

I find myself writing heavy duty subjects these days. There is so much bad stuff on my mind... the world is so screwed up, I can't help it. I write my share of totally silly, (hopefully) humorous stuff but I write about heavy subjects as well. I just wrote a song about two guys who go to war and they wonder what they (we) have become. And I love the dang thing.

Just wondering if other people on here do.

"Hurt" by Johnny Cash, wow. And I heard a recording by somebody who did his "I Walk The Line" in minor chords. It's very cool.

I've posted before about being a writer who only writes happy stuff. You can take that road but I don't know if I can. Or want to. OTOH, I am tired of thinking about bad stuff. It kinda bums ya out. I'm at a point in my life where I'm saying "What's the use?" Just go be a river rat, screw it all.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LiveMusic:

"Hurt" by Johnny Cash, wow.

Hey!--get it straight, pal!!!--- that there's a Nine Inch Nails song--written by Mr. Trent Reznor himself ;):P

The guy that did the video for NIN's "Closer" did the "hurt" rendition by the Cash man. Mark Romanek, I think. (I'm an "avid" NIN fan...hehe) It is an incredible song.

That said, yes, I absolutely LOVE darker-leaning songs-- to me, they have always felt much more powerful than their brighter, lighter companions. Real emotion, as opposed to, I dunno--sappy sentiment, I guess--that I get from most "happy" songs.

I'm not blanket-categorizing here, mind you--just my personal impressions of most song themes.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

--Aristotle

Originally posted by mdlestat:

That said, yes, I absolutely LOVE darker-leaning songs-- to me, they have always felt much more powerful than their brighter, lighter companions. Real emotion, as opposed to, I dunno--sappy sentiment, I guess--that I get from most "happy" songs.

I'm not blanket-categorizing here, mind you--just my personal impressions of most song themes.

Go back to your basement, you lousy goth kid. ;)

Dark songs are great for the mood, but what really gets me sometimes is when a song sounds completely poppy and happy on first listen, but then once you start really hearing the demented/sick/depressing/etc lyrics, it brings an entire emotion you never really feel. I love that. A great example is Liz Phair's album "Exile in Guyville", especially "Flower."

Originally posted by mdlestat:

"Hurt" by Johnny Cash, wow.

Hey!--get it straight, pal!!!--- that there's a Nine Inch Nails song--written by Mr. Trent Reznor himself ;):P

The guy that did the video for NIN's "Closer" did the "hurt" rendition by the Cash man. Mark Romanek, I think. (I'm an "avid" NIN fan...hehe) It is an incredible song.

Well, yeah, I know that's NIN. But J.R. Cash's version is stunning. It's one of my favorite recordings of all time. I play it in gigs now and one thing I notice is how well it is written.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Go back to your basement, you lousy goth kid.
HA!!

That's cool--- I do listen to everything, but I have to admit, I really don't know what "goth" music actually is. I guess I always figured it was more of a look or "lifestyle" than a type of music. None of the popular kids ever told me what was cool anyway, hehe...

NIN is teh fave, followed by TOOL, then Nirvana, and most other grunge-types---AIC, Soundgarden, etc....Smashing Pumpkins fits both the hi and lo sound you speak of...I am a huge fan of Sarah McLachlan, for example (stifle your laughs, please)---and if you like minor-key, melancholy music, "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy" is going to do something to you-- it's one of my favorite albums ever.

Beck's "Sea Change" is a damned-near-depressing album, too--but I adore it. You owe it to yourself to hear that album.

Well, yeah, I know that's NIN. But J.R. Cash's version is stunning. It's one of my favorite recordings of all time.[/QB]

I agree totally-- Even Reznor said that when he heard it for himself the first time, it almost made him cry--- one, for the fact that it was so powerful, and two, for the fact that someone else had so masterfully re-made a song that had been so very near and dear to his heart---and had changed it into something that he never could have even come close to.

**EDIT---

Phait--- I got your back, man--- now get back to work singing the praises of our Lord, Tronk Reshner!

**edit edit--- I totally dig your slaughter-phait avatar, man :)

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

--Aristotle

I love dark music, and it doesn't matter what genre it is. I think Mozart's "Requiem" is infinitely sadder than a lot of music written nowadays. But I also love so many kinds of metal, it's hard to pick just one. Even the blues can be dark at times.
Shut up and play.

It's one of my favorite recordings of all time. I play it in gigs now and one thing I notice is how well it is written.

If people are paying any attention to the song when you do it, I'll bet liquor sales go up quite a bit during and right after that song. The bar owners probably love it. :D

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

I like dark music, but I also like light, or pink, mauve, aqua blue music too! To me, its about equal oportunity man! What would be the world if we had no Asian, black, hindu or redheaded girls?

Shudder to think!!!

"No sweet without the sour" - a movie quote...

:thu:

I have this nasty beat up slab of vinyl called Exotic Bird & Fruit by Procol Harum and there's a song entitled The Thin Edge Of The Wedge that is a perfectly frightening trip.

While it's actually the instrumentation that takes you there this track has long been a great example of the darkness music can cast.

If you've never heard this I'd suggest you search it out online someplace. Pitch black full blast :thu:

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Archived