Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Novice Wiring please help !

alanfc

hi everyone,

I have installed pickups and can solder alright..

so,

I'm going to remove the chassis of my Marshall solid state 2x12 combo and turn it into sort of a rack setup. As my gig backup. As a combo its 70 lb. or something. Kills me. I'll be plugging into an 8ohm 1x12 external cabinet.

The speakers are connected to the guts of the amp not by a 1/4' jack, but only with wires.

Is this a DIY project I can try? I just want to make a 1/4" jack out of the two wires. So I can use a male-male speaker cord like normal..

Is there any of you who have done this ? Or can you you refer me to any sites with DIY projects like this..?

thanks

Rivera + Fender Strat

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Crypt picker:

DO you want an inline jack or chassis mount?

this is Greek, backwards to me ! :freak:

this is what I =do= want..Since I don't want to get inside the chassis if I don't have to , I would be satisfied with the jack hanging off the wire, maybe I'd duct tape it to the bottom of the chassis. Thats where the red-white wires originate

thanks alot

Rivera + Fender Strat

I suggest that you go with a chassis mount for the jack if at all possible. If you have the wires just hanging there, duct tape or not, there will be stress pulling on the wires where there is not supposed to be, and the leads could pull off of the board where they originate.

ALSO (VERY IMPORTANT)

Make sure that you allow for proper ventilation of the amp head, however you mount it in a rack or a box.

I would mount the jack directly to the chassis. Simply solder the two wires directly to the jack lugs. Make sure the hot speaker wire goes to the tip lug.

I did this on my Fender Champ 12 years ago. It was super easy.

Be sure to follow proper safety precautions. I don't know if there are any high voltage capacitors in there like there are in tube amps but if there are, they need to be bled to ground before you do any work.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by Gabriel E. vil:

I would mount the jack directly to the chassis. Simply solder the two wires directly to the jack lugs. Make sure the hot speaker wire goes to the tip lug.

I did this on my Fender Champ 12 years ago. It was super easy.

Be sure to follow proper safety precautions. I don't know if there are any high voltage capacitors in there like there are in tube amps but if there are, they need to be bled to ground before you do any work.

very good, thank you

can anyone shed some light on this voltage capacitor/risk of DEATH aspect of the job? With regard to solid state amps?

thanks

Rivera + Fender Strat

Most solid state amplifiers operate below 100Vdc, so you're probably OK on the voltage thing, but to be safe, you should short the capacitors to the chassis through a 1W, 1k ohm resistor. Use wires with alligator clips and leave it connected for the entire time you're working on the circuit.

You'll need to drill a hole for the 1/4" jack to chassis mount it, and then you'll need to identify the positive and negative terminals of the speaker, then wire the output jack accordingly.

Hope this helps! :)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Archived