Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mixing Rhythm Guitars & Solos

PlasticMoonRain

I've seen a lot written that layered rhythm guitars should be mixed hard left and right, and I guess if you listen to enough records, that sounds pretty much on the mark.

But what about solos? How do you mix them to stand out in a mix, as far as panning, reverb and any other effects for taste?

What do you like to do?

THANKS.

Drew

White Castle Studios North

Scarsdale, NY 10583

"Buy'em By The Sack!"

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Herman Tedster:

Like the "White Castle" avatar.

Me (and this is just my opinion)...I like to bring a solo front and center.

Yeah, me too - play with the Q until until you don't have to make it too loud in the mix to hear it.

I'm not sure I'd do hard left and hard right for two rhythm parts; maybe 75% in each direction . . .

Vinny Cervoni

vcbluzman@hotmail.com

www.bluzberrypi.com

www.42ndstband.com

You have to watch your mono compatability when you start panning like instruments playing like parts against each other.

I generally pull solos forward and towards the center, though not always -to- the center. I like to create a soundstage that reflects the real stage, with positioning and all, though few clients want thios to happen. Stereo allows us to imitate life in placement when we want to do that, and I like to close my eyes and hear the players in their locations.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

It's not so much the panning that makes a solo stand forth, but the EQ and tonal space between the instruments.

Each instrument needs its own tonal space to be distinct, this is especially important with multiple guitars, since they tend to be in the same note ranges. Try subtractive EQ on the rhythm parts to leave space for your solo instrument without needing inordinate amounts of boost.

As for panning, going 100% to either side, is really a special effect, because at that point you have a mono source in the stereo field and it's going to sound detached from the ensemble. Better to hold off at around 75% panning as stated.

What about if we're not talking the BIG solo in a song, but little guitar solos during verses and choruses?

Certainly you probably do not want to pan those in the center?

But you do want those little licks to be heard, tickling the ears...

Drew

White Castle Studios North

Scarsdale, NY 10583

"Buy'em By The Sack!"

Solos I like up the middle...and then adjust EQ/verb 'till it sits comfortably...though that's not too hard to do with most guitar solos.

Lead guitar can cut-through most mixes...unless it's so squashed that it sounds like a mosquito looking for fresh blood. ;)

Rhythm guitars can be tricky...depending on what else is going on in the mix.

One R. guitar can usually find a spot easy enough...but 2 (or more) can be a challenge, especially if they are playing very specific rhythms parts that need to be identifiable without overpowering the rest of the tracks.

But if you are just going for that heavy metal "wall of guitars" crunch sound...I guess you can just pile 'em on 'til the wall is high enough! :D

The most recent tune I did...I had one R. guitar part...but I wanted to make it sound like two different guitars were playing it.

Since the chord progression had two measures of chords at the 6th/7th frets ...and then two measures at the 1st/2nd frets...

...I decided to break it in half and give the first two measures to one guitar and the second two measures to another.

I used two different guitars...recorded each to their own tracks.

Then when I mixed...I panned then about 9-10 and 2-3 o'clock.

Came out pretty nice...it has that "call/response" feel to it...and they both sit very nicely in the mix. :cool:

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Archived