Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

a new guitar in my future?

guitar god lol

i have a squier strat, but i'm missing my old gibson flying v. i know the guitars are totally different, but the v was my first love, money got tight and i bought something cheap from guitar center.

now i have $250 burning a hole in my pocket and i'm thinking of the following options.

1) sell my fender and then have about $350 to buy a new guitar

2) keep my fender as a backup and buy another reasonably priced guitar

3) save up for who knows how long to buy my dream flying v

4) save up a little less time and buy an epiphone flying v

any suggestions or any other options? has anyone played the epiphone v or know anything about them? thx!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a firm believer in getting what you want and not settling. If you want a Flying V, then get one. If you buy something else, a few years from now you'll be saying, "Why didn't I save up $750 more bucks?!? If I had been saving up, I would have that guitar right now!"

As the saying goes, "Good things come to those who wait."

Originally posted by A String:

I'm a firm believer in getting what you want and not settling. If you want a Flying V, then get one. If you buy something else, a few years from now you'll be saying, "Why didn't I save up $750 more bucks?!? If I had been saving up, I would have that guitar right now!"

As the saying goes, "Good things come to those who wait."

exactly

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

but i can't wait. ;) that's why i'm thinking two guitars might make me forget about the v at least for a short period of time.

what's strange is that i don't even know why i like the v so much. i think its probably because it was my first real electric guitar, it was a gibson, it looked cool and it was nice and light, but i'm sure other cheaper guitars have the same qualities. any suggestions?

but the squier is nice too, maybe i should get a real strat? now i'm all confused.

Originally posted by guitar god lol:

but i can't wait. ;) that's why i'm thinking two guitars might make me forget about the v at least for a short period of time.

BAD IDEA! The only gear purchases I ever regretted were the ones I did on the cheap. 2 cheap guitars do not equal one really good guitar.

Save up and wait until you can afford the guitar you really want. If you spend your money now on budget guitars, it will be even longer until you can afford the nice axe.

Start a "nest egg" savings account at the bank. Put in your $250 and some money from each paycheck. You'll be surprised how quickly it will add up.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

My advice? An ammended take on your #2 and #3 multiple-choice answers:

2) keep my fender as a backup and...

3) save up for who knows how long to buy my dream flying v

In the mean-time, just keep the Squier set-up well, and try out a lot of different guitars in shops. Who knows, you just might find another axe that really does it for you! But don't "settle" for anything short, you still won't be happy.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

you can get a very high quality axe and be cheap at the same time.

Godin

exit 22

freeway classic

LG hmb and LGsp90

SDxt

the exit 22 and lg models have gibson scales

the freeway and sdxt are "super strats"

i am not kidding whan i say excellent quality for korean prices. 100% northamerican made, with quality parts and awesome gig bags included.

I've played both the Godin LG-Hmb and P90 (in a shop). They are both real nice guitars :thu:

Find a dealer near you and give them a try before you make a decision.

As a matter of fact, try out everything mentioned here before you make a decision :cool: You may just have to wait to get what your really want, but if you buy a *decent* guitar in the meantime you can trade it in (or sell privately) and not lose too much. But you will lose some :(

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

Godin

exit 22

freeway classic

LG hmb and LGsp90

SDxt

i am not kidding whan i say excellent quality for korean prices. 100% northamerican made, with quality parts and awesome gig bags included.

do you work for godin or get any kickbacks?? ;)

i never heard of them or if i did, i forgot. i'll see if guitar center has any. thx!

Originally posted by guitar god lol:

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

Godin

exit 22

freeway classic

LG hmb and LGsp90

SDxt

do you work for godin or get any kickbacks?? ;)

i never heard of them or if i did, i forgot. i'll see if guitar center has any. thx!

nah, don't work for them.

just a super fan of the guitars they make. :D

Archived