Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The true meaning of assholiness...

Sorry...this is off topic. But, I've got to vent somewhere, and this is as good a place as any. I'm sitting on my front porch, and notice something wrong. The huge Sycamore tree in front of the church across the street...the beautiful, big, shady tree...has been FUCKING BUTCHERED. Some assholes with chainsaws topped it...cut down almost every long branch. It wasn't near any electric lines. It was a fine, picturesque tree...reduced to a Tim Burton-esque chopped off piece of shit. I don't know why they didn't just finish the fucking job and take it out altogether. Fuckheads. I can see responsibly trimming a tree...but this is horrendous. Assholes.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel you!!!! It's that new, non-natural mindset that people today seem to have....You know, that same shit that makes builders 'clear-cut' and area to make a subdivision. Pretty little doll houses scrunched together without a single piece of vegetation in sight(well maybe at the sub-div entrance). Why would I want a new house with NOT A SINGLE TREE on the block?? Answer - I wouldnt!! I'd rather buy an older house house in a real looking neighborhood. . . but then as you point out, this attutude is reaching those area's too...Idiots!!
TROLL . . . ish.

Sorry man. That is truly assholistic. An assholian maneuver if there ever was one. In a summer between college years, I took a labor job with the City. Mostly nuisance abatement...clearing drainage ditches, cleaning up public beaches and, yes, cutting trees whose branches obscured stop signs or threatened power lines. I never butchered a tree. I'm no arbor artiste, but it would have been easy for me to take out a couple large branches with a chainsaw and call it a day. Instead, I trimmed agressively but left the organic beauty of the tree intact. Anyway...sorry. - Jeff

[quote]Originally posted by meccajay: [b]I'd rather buy an older house house in a real looking neighborhood. . . but then as you point out, this attutude is reaching those area's too...Idiots!! [/b][/quote] I thought I was safe. But the chainsaw happy fuckheads are ruining it in a big way. This is just the latest in a series of irresponsible onslaughts. Funny thing, I talked to the Sierra Club about a similar problem a couple of years ago, and I said "You all probably aren't interested in a few urban or suburban trees" and the guy said "Ironically, that's where most of our cases come from". If you've got nice, shady old growth trees in your neighborhood, and you enjoy them being there...don't assume they're safe! Some dickweed will cut 'em down.

Um... We have huge oak in front of our house. It was hit by lightning. MAJOR damage. The only way to save thr tree was to cut off most of the branches so that the tree could put forth all of its effort into healing itself and not feeding a bunch of branches. It worked. Perhaps the tree in question is diseased or some such...

I understand your case. That makes sense. This, however, was not the case. No huge damage, just random butcherings with a chainsaw. I saw some guys down the street from a "recognized" tree service a couple years ago topping my neighbor's cedar trees. I thought she wanted them down. Nope. They topped 'em and left 'em. Left 'em looking like shit. They probably should have taken them down.

Fortunately, here in Savannah, that could get somebody shot, and there's a legal defense on the books known as the "He [i]NEEDED[/i] killin'" clause. Savannah is known as "The Forest City," and there's a building ordinance that prohibits buildings from being higher than 15 storeys. As you approach Savannah from South Carolina, over The Talmadge Bridge, all you can see are treetops and a smattering of buildings. The place is festooned with Live Oaks, all dripping with Spanish Moss, Palm Trees, Magnolias, and Pines. It's one of the reasons I fell in love with this place in a single day when I was looking for a city in the South to move to. Thank God the entire downtown is a National Historic Landmark. (The Nation's largest) Nothing can be touched. Outside the city, all I see are those clearcut developments, and they look dreadful.
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I hear ya tedster...*every* time I go camping in a non-protected park I come across a campsight where some bastard cut down a tree just a for a night's wood. Pisses me right off.. Then there's the clearcuts. I live in a resource-based province where logging is the number one resource (when you don't consider BC's *other* export anyway [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]) and clearcuts pop up all over the place. HUGE clearcuts, too - bringing the threat of avalanches, mudslides, etc. sometimes in residential areas. The town I live in is facing that problem as we speak - our closest mountain, which holds the watershed we got most of our drinking water from, is under threat from clearcut logging. As a response to this threat, we have all made donations to the municipal legal fund so we can take this to court if necessary, a group of 50 or so hippies has "occupied" the mountain; they've built a camp right in the middle of the area to be clearcut, and us entertainment people are working on a full length documentary we could present to the forest minister in hopes of stopping this. We'll see what happens, but if it doesn't go our way, we're looking at poisoned drinking water, threat from avalanches, mudslides, the aesthetic loss of a beautiful backyard mountain, increased bear and cougar problems, etc. Man against corporation. Damn I hope this goes our way...
meh

Yep, I feel for ya; they wacked down what I referred to as, "my tree", for the sake of condo's. The farmer that once owned the property where the tree sat told me that "my tree" dated back before the civil war. This tree was about 6 feet wide at the trunk. It was an awesomely huge oak tree, I was fucked up with depression when they cut it down. -Hippie
In two days, it won't matter.

Just witnessed something similar the other day. There's another condo project (for multimillionaires only, of course) going in at a busy intersection a few blocks away from me; there was a tree RIGHT ON THE CORNER..completely out of the way of construction....being cut down. I wonder how these genetic drift motherfuckers sleep at night.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

I just saw a program on logging describing a new technique to get lumber w/o clearcutting. They used huge helicopters to pluck out selected trees, leaving most of the forest standing. No need for logging roads which also cause horrible erosion. But I imagine the chopper costs plenty.

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

I certiainly love trees,but here I have an alternative train of thought to post - 3 years ago, my landlord had a chestnut tree in our front yard trimmed. I was aghast with shock! I mean they shaved this thing - It was glorious, about 40 feet high, and I told myself "It's his property, not mine." The guys who trimmed it even left behind some of the trimmed wood for me to burn stacked next to my woodpile. Here it is 3 years later, and I drive through the old neighborhood a couple of days ago - The tree is beautiful, although not throwing quite as much shade, but thriving in all its glory. I have since bought a house with a huge Silver Oak in the backyard that is in need of trimming and will be checking with my old landlord for the names of the guys who did that same tree.
Woof!

[quote]Originally posted by henrysb3: [b]I just saw a program on logging describing a new technique to get lumber w/o clearcutting. They used huge helicopters to pluck out selected trees, leaving most of the forest standing. No need for logging roads which also cause horrible erosion. But I imagine the chopper costs plenty.[/b][/quote] Most logging companies do SOME amount of selective logging but it seems only in the areas where the terrain makes it too difficult for the trucks to access. Otherwise it seems it's all clearcutting. They know the effects clearcutting has on the environment and life in and around the area fully, but it's a money thing. Bottom line is always more important to these guys than life and the environment.. [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/img]
meh

Are they Italian? [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] [BTW, i asked the administrator to close my account here a month ago. For some reason he will not abide by my wishes. I will take this into account when my KEYBOARD subscription comes up for renewal.]

[quote]Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com: [b]Maybe it just needed a trim. Autumn is the right time of year for this.[/b][/quote] Trim, sure, but they butchered this. If I had a picture I'd show you before and after shots. I hope things go your way, Rold... And, perhaps it will come back, as did the chestnut tree...but...trees take a long time. They don't grow overnight. And all the bastards can think of is cutting them down. I think I'll bulldoze some condos and plant a forest. I mean, condos almost grow overnight, don't they? (evil smiley face)... This message has been edited by Tedster on 10-18-2001 at 08:08 AM

Ya last summer I had to butcher a huger mother f#ckin soft maple right on the front lawn at the farm... We had pictures of that tree the same size in 1901 when a lady visited(She was a new born then).. The thing was huge... But in a wind storm it took one of the main limbs off and I could see the whole stump was rotten.. So we did the same thing... Butchered it at 30 some odd feet out, still rotten, at 20 feet out, still rotten, finally what was left looked awful.. So I took her right down.... The stump was a real bitch cause the root system was wrapped round the septic system... So I paid a guy $1500 to come in and "Grind" the root out.. He was there for 2 days with a big circular saw cutting away.... Sure enough at the ground the stump was as solid as a rock.... Ya know too, the place just don't look the same.. Maybe the church just can't take her right out.. Root systems may have worked there way into foundations etc.. Life sucks though when history is damaged that way.. It made me feel shitty for a while... I bet that tree had 200 + years on it... Later. Brian
Smile if you're not wearin panties.

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b]...Some assholes with chainsaws topped it...cut down almost every long branch. It wasn't near any electric lines...[/b][/quote] Hey Tedster, I hear you...but did you check with the town or electric company why they might have done this? There is NO tree service company that will just go around pruning/cutting down trees on their own. 1.) Someone(?) might have seen some potential hazard. 2.) The electric company will work their way up/down a line and just clear everything that might(?) be a problem in the near future. They sometimes do "hack away", but with all the miles and miles of line...it is a bit tedious for them to be very creative when pruning, and they don't want to be out there in the middle of a winter storm dealing with downed power lines. 3.) Sometimes there are potential tree diseases that they try to head off by pruning/cutting. If you felt they had no reason to cut...you could have tried to stop them before hand via legal means (it's been done), or maybe just explained to them how to do it a bit more "creatively". [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] But otherwise...I've seen some butcher jobs myself along roads and it is annoying! [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/mad.gif[/img]

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Trees are glorious creatures. Even if you cut them down to the stump, leaving only the roots, pretty soon, you'll have a fairly tall, but small tree vigorously growing again. The life force is on the roots. If you don't get the roots, it isn't dead! Maybe they did it because of insurance reasons, maybe it was the tree trimmers just looking for work, convincing the owners that it's best to trim it, due to falling limbs and such.

llornkcor rocknroll

http://llornkcor.com

Well, I know why builders kill trees. I put a large addition on our house several years ago and when digging the footer, you just wouldn't believe the roots everywhere. People see trees as shade, protection and beauty, but builders see them as foundation cracking, plumbing ruining obsticals to their job. Our house is at least 120 years old and we've got a bunch of really old trees all around. Yeah sure we've gotta hire a plumber to grind roots out of the main drain occationally, but I wouldn't give em up for anything.

No Miroslav...I think what happened is that someone hired someone to trim their tree, and they butchered it instead. I think that a lot of tree trimming companies hire people who are "Jason" wannabes that are just looking to hack away at something with their chainsaws. There weren't any electric lines in the vicinity of this tree. And, DC, I understand the problems roots cause. Which indicates to me (and we certainly can't help anything that was done 50 years ago) that people should plant deep rooted varieties when they landscape, rather than shallow rooted trees that invariably cause problems. My whole bitch is that trees take a hell of a long time to grow...and if someone ruins a large tree that I happen to like, and plants a sapling in its place, I'll be long dead before that sapling grows up.

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b] I hope things go your way, Rold... [/b][/quote] Thanks, Tedster...sorry to hear about your tree, too, that sucks..I know what it's like to lose the aesthetic beauty and calming presence..it really does suck...especially when it was senseless.. Peace, Harold
meh

As it was once said: "They paved Paradise and put up a parking lot" If you ever get a chance, do the Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah mountains of Virginia. Absolutely beautiful!! This message has been edited by gatorwing@aol.com on 10-19-2001 at 10:32 AM
There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

[quote]Originally posted by gatorwing@aol.com: [b]As it was once said: "They paved Paradise and out up a parking lot" [/b][/quote] Wow - weird you quote a Joni Mitchell lyric in here - she lives a five minute drive from here and I'm pretty sure her neighbourhood gets their water from the same source we do, so all that stuff I mentioned above about the logging threat - it affects her as well. Spooky...
meh

reminds me of maple grove elementary school, where they clearcut a beautiful copse of mature maple trees to build the school and ball fields - they didnt leave a single maple tree. then a year ago, they built the new redwood heights retirement home - it was on a wonderful hillside covered with redwood trees - yep, they cut every f'ing redwood down to build the damn building. gotta love em...

jnorman

sunridge studios

salem, oregon

Archived