Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Songs with Open E or Open D tuning

LiveMusic

Oh, man, I stumbled into this. I was looking for lyric to She Talks To Angels by Black Crowes. Found tab for it. I am always wanting some stuff like Black Crowes do for the younger crowd. I need to buy a record of theirs.

My guitar was tuned DOWN a whole step from standard EADGBE to DGCFAD, I guess that is. Then I found on this tab how to do open E tuning. I did that, which actually mine open D tuning. Whatever, same thing except D is lower. Duh.

So, wondering what songs are cool in this tuning? Just goofing around, I already wrote some pretty cool licks for a song.

Fantasticsound, I think this might be what I saw Hank Jr. used for Country Boy Will Survive (which I said I wont' play cuz I hate it). ;) I might soften up and do it.

I used Drop D some and I've messed with DADGAD but this open tuning, I've actually never done, believe it or not. I like.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, as I said in another thread....

"...I used to do a lot of tunings, but I have gotten away from that. Open G for Stills' "Johny's Garden", Open D for a ton of stuff.... Rod Stewart's "That's All You Need", various combos of CSN tunes like "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes", "4 and 20", Humble Pie's "You're So Good for Me", a handful of Joni Mitchell tunes (California & Big Yellow Taxi...) Black Crows "She Talks to Angels"... Open C for Crosby's "Music is Love"..."

I use open D just because open E, which is the first one that I learned, is just a little high for me for most songs that seem to use it.

You can do Still's "Black Queen" in dropped D.

Lawrence Juber plays a lot of killer stuff in open D, including his stunning version of Strawberry Fields".

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by bpark@prorec.com:

Open D for a ton of stuff.... Rod Stewart's "That's All You Need", various combos of CSN tunes like "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes", "4 and 20", Humble Pie's "You're So Good for Me", a handful of Joni Mitchell tunes (California & Big Yellow Taxi...) Black Crows "She Talks to Angels"... Open C for Crosby's "Music is Love"..."

Oh, okay, cool. It didn't register yet in the other thread. I got wind of the Black Crowes song because I heard it on the jukebox after my Saturday gig and I thought it sounded like a good song for solo acoustic.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Archived