Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Big bad fat-@$$3d octave-down bottom?

Caevan O’Shite

What do you think is best to provide a big bad fat-@$$3d octave-down effect?

Pedals, rack-mounts, and stand-alone units will all be considered on their own merits; acurate, tight, smooth, realistic glitch-tree tracking (even of bent-notes, glissandi, slide, and chords- no quantized step-wise gargling accepted) is an absolute must. As is good tone! And the fidelity and versatility to work with clean OR overdriven/distorted tones. All within a live, real-time setting.

Any additional intervalic extrapolation (up or down, "intelligent" or fixed), tricks, and effects is a plus, but not required.

What's YOUR bird's-eye low-down on this caper?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

What do you think is best to provide a big bad fat-@$$3d octave-down effect?

What's YOUR bird's-eye low-down on this caper?

I've been using a Boss PS-3 Digital Pitch Shifter/Delay for years.

It has extras like revers-reverb the ability to get modulation in your delay.

However, two or three of its settings allow you to run one or two other pitches. You can set a bunch of other intervals to play along side the note you play.

You can get a 3-D octave sound by setting one delay for the octave below and the second delay for two octaves below.

You can also go up to two octaves above.

It's really not great for changing your sound live. I tend to leave it in one place and use it as an octave pedal.

Vinny Cervoni

vcbluzman@hotmail.com

www.bluzberrypi.com

www.42ndstband.com

eye B a one man guitar looper guy; all my loops incorporate a bass line in the loops i build up.

i used to use the OH riginal digitech whammy pedal-till it wore out-

then i got the Whammy II-the black one and have been using it ever since. i only use the 1 octave down patch-on/off-no whammy pedal sweep cliches for me.

to me(and others :) it is the best tracking, real-time octave thang. ymmv

s :cool:

(plus its got that double octave down patch that is unholy to use :)

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Originally posted by Vinny C:

[/qb]

I've been using a Boss PS-3 Digital Pitch Shifter/Delay for years.

[/QB]

By the way, this is a very clean sounding effect.

I use it in line before my Tube King, which is my distortion. It sounds very cool through the distortion.

Vinny Cervoni

vcbluzman@hotmail.com

www.bluzberrypi.com

www.42ndstband.com

The Boss OC3 is supposed to be polyphonic in certain modes, I'm unsure exactly how it works. Clonk! I can't think of an analog octave down, although I'm sure there is one. Check out the Boss OC2 also, discontinued but a favourite of EVH in his live rig.

A new comer you might want to check out is the Electro Harmonix P.O.G. There's a demo video on the site I linked there, some very cool "organ" sounds are available. Digital of course(!)

Definitely something you'll want to play first though. It's only been released for about a month or so, which means any little annoying problems are not yet common knowledge. EH also do the Octave Mutliplexer, which is their simpler octave down pedal and much cheaper than the P.O.G.

Good luck K! :thu:

Oh great guru Teahead, please excuse my lack of expertise in this area of pedal-dom :D

Is the "Octave Shifter" a specialized delay where the delay is shifted up or down?

Your humble grasshopper, Dave 'da Green Dude :rolleyes:

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Hi, Dave. :D:wave:

The designs differ slightly, but basically they create a note an octave below the one you play. If you look at this one... http://media.zzounds.com/media/fit,325by400/quality,85/brand,zzounds/OC-3_DR-a7afc7ee2b12d72fe8a57e9f507d1d34.jpg

You can set the level of the direct signal, the octave below and even an octave below again on this particular one! As for how they actually achieve this, I'll leave that to a proper Guru! Here's what EH GURU Howard Davis has to say...

There are pedals that synthesize a second harmonic (octave up, or frequency-doubled sound) such as the Octavia, or a subharmonic (one or two octaves down) such as the Octave Multiplexer. These first generate a clean signal with the fundamental frequency of the note being played. They then process it to produce a signal rich in the second harmonic, or divide it down with digital circuits called flip-flops to generate the first and possibly second subharmonics, which are ½ and ¼ the fundamental frequency. Mixed with the dry (unmodified) signal, subharmonics can make a guitar sound like a bass guitar or even a thundering pipe organ. As these devices must extract the fundamental pitch of the note, the clean playing of single notes is necessary for proper operation. They do not work with most chords.

There's a similar explaination from him on how most effects work here.

Best of luck...

Tea. :thu:

Thanks, everbuddy!

Dave- http://www.iorr.org/i45-7225.jpg

(Anyone ever tell you that you look a lot like Keith Richards?) ;)

-basically, something like this doubles what you play an octave and/or two-octaves down, so it sounds sort of like a bass or baritone-guitar, etc., playing in unison with you.

Teahead- I saw that E-H P.O.G. clip myself last noght on the Music Toyz 'site. While the quavering, calliope-like sounds it is capable of could be cool and quite useful in their own right, it's too chirpy and wavery sounding to be a main bottom-feeder for me! I need something that'll sound tight, focused, as natural as possible; I'm thinking that one of the others mentioned here- the Digitech Whammy I or II, the Boss PS-3, OC-2 and OC-3 pedals- would be the pedals to try.

If I can find something that'll be effects-loop/post-Speaker Emulator friendly- rack-mount stylees acceptable- that'll be a plus, as I'd want to be able to switch preamp-channels or even amps downstream of it, often preferring to 'octave the overdrive/distortion' to 'overdriving/distorting the octave', if you dig. :cool:

Originally posted by Dave da Dude:

So the (distorted) harmonics appear at the same TIME?

Yuhp. Or, with so little of a delay as to be virtually unnoticeable.

Originally posted by Jim Soloway:

I always thought it was called a 7-string. :cool:

Jim... why, you, you zany Zulu, you! :D

Archived