Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bucket brigade and old school chips

revolead

Okay, I won't argue these sound better. I won't even argue why use them. But I have to wonder: We live in the 21st century surrounded by all this technology. My roomate just got a 64-bit AMD chip for his compy. So why can't we take a chip that can make computers run at blazing speeds or chips that operate cameras or other things, and turn them into chips that would be just as good for guitar stuff as a BBD "bucket brigade" or a JRC chip of the 60s and 70s?

I know we've got all this digital modeling stuff that utilizes advanced chips to create these old chips, but wouldn't it work better just to recreate the original chip? Am I missing something here? I'm too young to know all this guys. Help! Please!

Shut up and play.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Prague:

The "chips" in the 60's and 70's would have been Lay's potato chips. Even a simple caluculator was expensive.

Most of the effects were made with discrete components, which can be hand-built today.

Not the way they advertise the stuff. The whol boutique market glorifies these terms, so what's up with that?
Shut up and play.

I'm not sure what the JRC chip is. What is JRC?

As for their marketing, who knows? "Chips" were extremely limited in the late 70's. They could easily be calling a single op-amp a chip, which is technically correct. It only has 8 legs though! Amongst engineers, those chips are amost now referred to as discrete components.

Bucket-brigades are pure analog. Capacitors. Perhaps an amp chip was used at the end of the chain.

I would certainly use the term "transistor" for 60's and 70's effects. I would sure look at a schematic before I ever used the word chip, though.

Originally posted by Prague:

I'm not sure what the JRC chip is. What is JRC?

Robert Keeley:

"The TS808 needs mod work! It is really the same thing as the TS9 re-issue with just a new JRC chip in it. But the chip is not the main problem with the unit or the magic part needed to make it sound perfect. "
I have no idea either. It just get's mentioned a lot with tubescreamers and overdrives.
Shut up and play.

Ahh. Japan Radio Co. made a dual op-amp. It was a simple 8 pin chip. Very basic bread and butter. TI, and most any other maker, has a 4558 that is a direct replacement. The original "JRC" was from about 1982.

It was made when the technology was relatively new and these amps had their characteristic sound.

As to your original question, yes. The characteristics of the JRC amp, and the TS-8 or whatever, can be modeled just like the Marshall's are being modeled by Line 6.

Archived