Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The One Man Band

Compact Diss

I'm in one are you?

OK who does this? I would like to hear some samples, please direct me to the music thread if your music is already listed there. What do you use for gear?

I was wondering how you go about laying down tracks. What's your motivation? How long do you spend working on a piece? not really looking for all those answers I just trying to start conversation.

I just went gas crazy again and ordered a synth. I'm interested in making my own music without having to rely on others.

Who has the time anyway.

I'm on a two year plan.

Starting right now.

I hope by the time I'm 35 I'm out there in the clubs or atleast in the subways selling my own solo recordings.

Anything is possible...right?

:thu:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Compact Diss:

I'm in one are you?

OK who does this? I would like to hear some samples, please direct me to the music thread if your music is already listed there. What do you use for gear?

I was wondering how you go about laying down tracks. What's your motivation? How long do you spend working on a piece? not really looking for all those answers I just trying to start conversation.

I just went gas crazy again and ordered a synth. I'm interested in making my own music without having to rely on others.

Who has the time anyway.

I'm on a two year plan.

Starting right now.

I hope by the time I'm 35 I'm out there in the clubs or atleast in the subways selling my own solo recordings.

:thu:

They have subways in Bush Country?? ;)

I'm a one man band, but I just fired myself for slacking off. :D

I'm also in a one man band, but I haven't shown up for practice in about 2 months. :P

I'm fired!

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

oh the levity-the levity :P:P

i'm a live looper guy-so i guess you'd call me a band :P

playin a show in october in santa cruz cali. called 'LOOPFEST Y2K4'.

2 days of solo performances w/ people from around the world, all involving live looping-it gets crazy and loopee :P

i play electric guitar into a whammy pedal for bass-got beats goin, loop it and then blast some loud ass rock and roll guitar over top-so fun :P

s :cool:

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

I currently consider myself a one person band using a combination of guitar, keyboard, bass and soft-synths. My motivation is that I enjoy writing & recording music and one day I'll be good enough and have done enough to have a cd's worth of material to show (off) for it. On top of that my wife is a singer so I do double duty in a 2 person band, I am AWOL from both at the minute due to parental duties and having just moved.
www.windhamhill.com - Shameless Advertising!

Originally posted by stanner:

oh the levity-the levity :P:P

i'm a live looper guy-so i guess you'd call me a band :P

playin a show in october in santa cruz cali. called 'LOOPFEST Y2K4'.

2 days of solo performances w/ people from around the world, all involving live looping-it gets crazy and loopee :P

i play electric guitar into a whammy pedal for bass-got beats goin, loop it and then blast some loud ass rock and roll guitar over top-so fun :P

s :cool:

that's awesome. wish i could see that show. yeah, i've been listening to a lot of people/bands that do live looping lately (mainly keller williams and drums and tuba). it's pretty cool how they manage to pull it off and sound great, i think they often don't get enough credit for it.
Then you'll never hear surf music again...

I'm in one are you?

Well, yes. But I'm not giving up on the other possibilities (see below)

I was wondering how you go about laying down tracks.

For a traditional arrangement, I start with the drum tracks. I might make a basic bass track and adjust after the guitars are in. Tracking guitars depends on the nature of the tune. If there's a straight rhythm guitar part that goes first, and then leads. If the guitar is more of a combination of rhythm & lead, I'll rehearse with the tracks a lot, and tweak the bass, drum and keyboard stuff to reasonably final form before tracking guitar. Vocals, if present are usually last, tho sometimes vocal goes in before lead guitar.

What's your motivation?

I like music, I like to brew my own. I would like to share it with the rest of the world, but marketing is a different thing.

How long do you spend working on a piece?

It depends on how final the composition is. Looking at file dates in my computer,the current fiasco nearing completion has been in existence for over 2 years :eek: in one form or another. But there have been a lot of things that went from start to finish while I've been polishing this turd. I've turned out tunes from blank paper to finished product in two days (even faster b.c. - before child)

Correct. :thu:

i plan on doing the one man thing as soon as i get set up for recording and know what to do with the software, i don't want to lose inspiration while learning how to get it recorded.

its easier when you don't have to rely on others to get it done, which is my present situation.

Thanks for all the input. I saw a friend of mine tonight at the Rack(for the locals)in Boston tonight.

Lesson learned:

Forget about being in a one man band.

Unless you can make people move. I was a DJ, I guess you could say a DJ is a oneman thing but without the effort.

Whatever, I'm going to bed. All I saw tonight was hard work. To get people out on the dance floor took lots of work but more important for these guys tonight was choosing the right song to play.

Talk more tomorrow --I'm exhausted

Archived