Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

G&L

jimmy3000

Holy smokes Dr. Jones, after 20 years of destroying strats trying to get them to work I just picked up an ASAT Blues Boy.

Hot Dambit! I will nevah, nevah, nevah go back. What an AWESOME beast this thing is, the setup alone was worth the price and the finish is killer, the electronics DO NOT SUCK. This thing sounds like a Tele on illegal performance enhancers. The whole shebangabang smokes like Bob Marley at a Hendrix concert!

I highly suggest that anyone who is looking for a Fender axe seriously take a look at the G&L line, especially if your dropping cash for a Custom Shop with pre-pabst bleu ribboned and vomit stained finish to try and capture that "classic fender/non CBS 3Bolt" sound, and no, I don't work for G&L, but I do work for GP's parent company. (No free goodies though! :D )

Here's a quick question: Does anyone know if GP ever did a review of a G&L guitar?

You cant believe everything you see and hear,now can you?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah man, If I had unlimited funds I'd get another ASAT like yours, and a Legacy and a Commanche or two.

I love my asat bigtime.

Welcome to the forum, I think you'll find this is a great place with people that love guitars.

Kurt Rosenwinkle don't get the props he used to get around here, and we've lost some world famous (apparently) guitar masermind geniuses, but it is a great place.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

ASAT Blues Boy

It's this axe, Silver with the matching headstock, ebony fretboard, pickup combo but lefty. If anyone out there is lefty this is another cool reason to deal with G&L, They have like two models that are not available to Lefty's unlike fender who have like two models that are and the finish on this thing rivals many Gibsons I have seen for twice the price.

No more black or Tabacco burst fenders for me!

Nothing worse than looking at a wall of killer guitars and one or two are lefty's with chip marks and scratches as every other lefty on Long Island has done a lunchtime tribute to Tony Iommi (complete with Wendy's tripple stains on the fingerboard.) trying to justify handing over a paycheck or two out of desperation.

What a sound on this thing! I got some great post-punk bite on a fender twin and some killer twang that made me put my American Standard Strat back in the case and hide it. The single coil G&L bridge and Seth Lover PAF in the neck weild some inspiring tones and are perfectly ballanced. I got some early Sabbath with the fuzz face that comes bundled on the Line 6 Guitar Port v2.0. I have not tried any funk with it yet, but it has a chillingly awesome classic R&B 'smoove'. This weekend I will try to fire up the JCM if I can pack it up and drag it down to a studio and see if these two will wag tails and not attack one another.

I just get the feeling that this guitar (I hesitate to call it an Axe, that's what I would name something I hammered a Floyd Rose into and replaced pick up wires with stuff I found in an Atari Joystick; yes I've done that!) was built by people that enjoyed crafting this thing as much as I dig playing it.

I love this guitar, it's a boutique workhorse.

You cant believe everything you see and hear,now can you?

Welcome aboard, Jimmy3K! Thanks for thinking of us poor bass-ackward lefthanders too, now I'll have to check out G&L's a little more. A buddy of mine is a luthier and loves G&L's, I know last time I was over he had a g&l strat (sorry, don't know the proper g&l lingo). You sound like you'll fit in with this crowd!
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

G&L asat L2500 bass is one of the best basses i've ever played, i loved the guitar too, all the good bits from A Strat and A Tele (ASAT gettit')

Nic

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

I was lucky enough to find a used ASAT special at a music store that was going out of business. I didn't even plug it in it played *so* well and just looked and felt so good I couldn't imagine Leo would screw up the pickups! Best decision I've made since deciding to try pedal steel. I love that guitar, it has become my number one electric. Right ON!

Jamie

But never fear, you're safe with me... Well maybe. - Les

Yup, I've seen several GP G&L reviews over the years, and they were always quite positive. I have always been quite impressed with their guitars, and I've tried quite a few of them - even a couple of prototypes that Leo had me try one afternoon many years ago (long story - I'll share it sometime) although I've never personally owned one. But they're definitely cool guitars - congratulations - and welcome to the forums! :wave:

A rockabilly friend of mine put away his Ampegs and Byrdlands and Gretsch hollowbodies, in favor of a 5150 amp and a pair of G&L guitars. This guy is seriously picky about tone, response and everything else, and he loves G&L big time.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

i saw a sunburst G&L tele in an ad in GP :love:

Gorgeous! I just couldn't stop lookin at it

The forumite formerly known as Cooper.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Lennon

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will finally know peace." Jimi Hendrix

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." Jimi Hendrix

Oh yeah, THAT Leo Fender.

G&L's are great guitars, made by people who care about the legacy of George and Leo...

Considering they're US made, and use great wood, electronics and other parts... they're really pretty affordable for most players.

I don't own any, but the ones I've played have been "sweet"...

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Originally posted by jlh:

I was lucky enough to find a used ASAT special at a music store that was going out of business. I didn't even plug it in it played *so* well and just looked and felt so good I couldn't imagine Leo would screw up the pickups! Best decision I've made since deciding to try pedal steel. I love that guitar, it has become my number one electric. Right ON!

Jamie

Okay spill it jlh. Which store was it? Fall River? Rice? Something else?

I love the G&L Invader axes. Vinatge appeal, sexy, and still metalhead for people like me. :D

Shut up and play.

Revo,

It was Colorado Springs Music. Across Tejon from The Folklore Center and Poor Richard's. They went out of the general music business a couple of years ago. I think they still sell pianos and do some custom PA installation.

Jamie

Originally posted by bpark@prorec.com:

A rockabilly friend of mine put away his Ampegs and Byrdlands and Gretsch hollowbodies, in favor of a 5150 amp and a pair of G&L guitars. This guy is seriously picky about tone, response and everything else, and he loves G&L big time.

Bill

A 5150 for Rock-a-billy? Now I've heard everything. I guess it's do-able. I once heard a Texas blues player use a 5150 live effectively, but it certainly wouldn't be at the top of my list in terms of compatibility.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Originally posted by jlh:

Revo,

It was Colorado Springs Music. Across Tejon from The Folklore Center and Poor Richard's. They went out of the general music business a couple of years ago. I think they still sell pianos and do some custom PA installation.

Jamie

Gotchya. I figured it was one of 'em. Ever since Guitar Center moved in, it seems like almost every music store is going out of business. Rice changed to Fall River and they even had to close down one fo their stores. It's crazy. I never really cared for most of the stores in town. The ones I go to are Music Exchange for vintage stuff, ProSound for other stuff, and Guitar Center to jack around for an hour and walk out with a pair of strings. :D
Shut up and play.

Yep, those are pretty much the ones I frequent too. I've only been in Guitar Center once though to pick up a cheap Celestion speaker they were selling. I go to the Folklore Center too for my acoustic needs. I really like the Music Exchange guys. They really love what they do and are good at it. I had my '71 Strat setup there and they nailed it the first time. Kevin is a hell of a guitar player too.

Jamie

I like the Music Exchange guys too. My neighbor first told me about 'em. I went down their to ask about a fretboard job; they told me to do it myself. I was most pleased they cared about their customer and not their money.

I like the ProSound guys too, but they tend to be more salesman like. I consider that a good thing sometimes. I can't tell you how crappy the people at Guitar Center are. They know nothing about their product, and it shows.

Shut up and play.

Archived