Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gibson L5 Amplifiers

zapp_music

After they stop production of the Gibson L5 100watt Amplifier... was there a replacement amp with a similar or exact sound and feature that was produce from another amplifier manufacture?

Any cheap replacements still out there? Or a amplifier of today that has that L5 sound and features?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had one of these amps once and loved it.

No current amp models that I am aware of that are similar to the Lab Series L5. They can usually be had on the used market for anywhere between $150 to $350. A great clean sounding amp. You need to use a stomp box for distortion/overdrive. Also, the stock speakers are dogs. I would recommend an upgrade.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

You might also look at some of the amps built by Acoustic. These are solid state amps from the same era and will yeild a similar sound.

Also, the Roland JC-120 can probably cop that sound pretty well.

Solid state amps from the 70s are pretty inexpensive on ebay and at music stores.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

I had a Lab Series L5 years ago... it was a cool amp. The cabinet was pretty thin and flimsy looking IIRC, but I never had any problems with mine. Anyway, good tones, lots of control. There were several models - L5, L7, L9 and L11... I think there was an L2 and L3 too. It has been years and I don't recall the differences in the various models other than there were several speaker configs and a head available, with the L5 being a 2X12" combo.

Here's a schematic:

http://www.rru.com/~meo/Guitar/Amps/Lab/schem.html

I don't know what replaced them, but I do not recall anything that sounded quite like a Lab Series amp except for another Lab Series. If that is the sound you're after, I'd look for one on Ebay.

Maybe you're confusing Norlin and Gibson... Norlin was the parent company of Gibson back then, and Lab Series amps were sold under the Norlin name, although many people refer to them as "Gibson" amps.

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

You might also look at some of the amps built by Acoustic. These are solid state amps from the same era and will yeild a similar sound.

Also, the Roland JC-120 can probably cop that sound pretty well.

Solid state amps from the 70s are pretty inexpensive on ebay and at music stores.

Hate to disagree, but I will anyway. :D

The Lab Series amps had some unique features that differentiated them pretty signifcantly from other solid-state amps of their era:

1) Mosfet amplifier circuit. I know that Yamaha amps also used mosfets but I do not believe Acoustic or Roland did. In theory, Mosfets have similar sonic characteristics to tubes. I've played through Roland JC series amps and while they have their own great unique sound, they sound very different from the Lab Series.

2) Semi-parametric midrange control on the EQ section plus a multi-filter control. These two features are what really set the Lab amps apart. Very extensive tonal shaping options and the key to Ty Tabor's sound on the early Kings X albums. :thu:

3) On-board compressor. I never used mine, but I know it was a popular feature for a lot of Lab Series owners.

My 2 cents.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

When I mixed monitors for The Wilkinsons a few years ago their guitar player had an L5. Great amp. And it did NOT sound like a typical solid state amp. Funny how Norlin succeeded at creating a desirable solid state amp, which shouldn't have worked, but could barely keep up the quality of Gibson guitars to the bare minimum. :rolleyes:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived