Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is This A Licence To Rip People Off?

Teahead

http://i2.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/2f/76/f3_1_b.JPG

Click for a link to the eBay auction. I'm just wondering why someone might buy this?

He does state in the auction...

Perfect dream come true for the Luthier
Am I right in thinking that some guy can buy this and put it on a guitar he builds or already owns, with a view to selling the "fake" guitar to a third party as a "Genuine Gibson?" Likely also via an eBay auction? :cry:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm... I dunno, Tea', seems kinda strange to me. I geuss it's just another reason to know what to look for. Anyway, I would hope that a luthier wouldn't try to sell a counterfeit Gibson, and that the sticker is just intended for restoration purposes. But, you never know. Greater evils have been done.

Likely, he'll get the highest bids from those who want to make their newer Gibsons look more authentically "vintage", those folks who pay top-dollar for alleggedly "vintage" knobs, trussrod covers, and pickguard screws. You know, the important stuff. :rolleyes:;):D

As for being a "Luthier's dream", it could arguably be used in a top-notch restoration/repair-job, couldn't it?

BUT- the potential for the unscrupulous use of such stickers and decals is exactly why companies like Gibson and Fender have been very up at arms about their availability.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

There's a limited supply of NOS parts out there for those who perform surgery on classic guitars. These labels and parts of all description are hugely sought after by builders and repair artists everywhere.

I saw a complete compartmentalized accessory kit from an authorized Gibson dealer sell for big bucks one time. It had all sort of bits and part in it and I just didn't have deep enough pockets to buy it.

Rip off artist? Potentially but it is targeted at luthiers and that's the one word that distinguishes craftsman from con men. (typically)

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

For years, some of Gibson's and Fender's biggest competition has been their own products from the past - "vintage" guitars (and amps to a lesser degree).

Maybe looking the other way while items like these (and fake "vintage" hardware such as that produced by Nash Guitars and others) is good business. It makes forgeries easier and thus might help to de-stabilize the vintage market and send more customers towards safer new model guitars.

The proliferation of "relic" instruments along with stuff like this is making buying a vintage instrument a risky proposition for the non-expert.

Just a thought.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

This is the precise point Gabriel. I've mentioned before how the vintage Fender market is awash in fakes. Good or even great guitars, don't get me wrong because the reality is in the playing not the collecting.

I've collected a stack of books and publications from everywhere and when I'm stumped I'll fire questions off to George Gruhn.

I enjoy taking the time to correct and instrument by searching for authentic parts and putting everything in order. Can't say I've made a bucket of money doing it but I hope the guitars are happy with what I do. :D

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Factory stickers of any type are not available to anyone but authorized Gibson repair shops who are supposed to affix the decals themselves. But forgeries and the real deal acquired in an unlawful manner are out there, as this testifies. I don't know that Gibson can do anything about this unless it is an unlicensed copy of a Kalamazoo sticker. If it's the real deal, they have no right to recover it. Hell, Henry was barely the owner of Gibson when the Kalamazoo plant was in operation.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Guitars are like shoes. But louder.:

They're too busy with PRS :D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm sorry ... I didn't want to start this line of thinking (or absence of) :freak:

look out! :D
...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

Archived