Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hey Lee Flier...

Philip OKeefe

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Tedster:

Damn, I AM getting tired...I thought that said "to connect Guitplayer's THD Univalve to the barbecue". That'd be a great pedal...a barbecue stompbox! Turn up the smoke!

This seems like an appropriate time to remind our friend in Kansas City to not drink and barbecue! :eek::freak:

(Besides, Ted... do you plug into a propane barbecue, charcoal, or are you a real old school guy and use wood in a pit?? ;):D

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Nothing beats Mesquite in a pit for flavor... but not having to clean up ashes makes a propane BBQ my tool of choice. You lose on flavor, but I'm just too busy and too lazy to hassle with it anymore.

Ted, I like a tube based BBQ.. great for that smokin' tone. ;)

Originally posted by cosmo115:

Here's my BBQ......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/cosmo115/BBQ2.jpg

:eek: DA-AMN. wow cos, that's awesome. i'd barbeque every day if i had a set up that nice.
Then you'll never hear surf music again...

Here's my BBQ......

Where are the guitar and external speaker inputs? Er, outputs? :D
...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

Originally posted by Tedster:

"Damn, I AM getting tired...I thought that said "to connect Guitplayer's THD Univalve to the barbecue". That'd be a great pedal...a barbecue stompbox! Turn up the smoke!"

Tedster, what I meant on that JD-thread when I talked about cooking with JD was to put it on the food, not in the cook! :P;):D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'm analog...old-school...charcoal, and mesquite or hickory chunks for me. :D None of this new digital BBQ for me.

And Caveman...now you tell me. :D

Hey, I've got one of those MXR micro amps somewhere. It's taken apart (no battery) but I think I can salvage it. Cool pedal. I've had it for over 20 years.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by tiger85:

Here's my BBQ......

Where are the guitar and external speaker inputs? Er, outputs? :D
It did come with an optional CD player, but we decided against it. ;)

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Phil, what did the stompbox look like? It was probably his MXR Micro Amp, which he uses as a lead switch.

Well, IIRC, it was about the size of a MXR Micro Amp or DynaComp, and I think it was white. I don't recall any knobs on it. He called it his "fun box" - probably was the Micro Amp and I think he was using it as a lead boost.

Phil,

I think that's what it was as well...

Another interesting thing...

Everyone pretty much played through the UniValve in the "Rock" channel, with the gain about 2 o'clock, and the treble knob about 9 o'clock... (the UniValve being voiced kinda on the brighter side)...

I could see Kenny had plugged into the "Roll" channel and had the treble PEGGED. I noticed he was fighting for more volume, and came up and turned off the attenuator, (which even at "full on" still provides some attenuation, but when switched off... gives you full power)...

Considering he was using what I would view as a "bright" guitar, the Rick, he got a nice, meaty sound with his "box" helping a bit.

I wouldn't have EVER thought to peg the treble control, but it sounded right for the Beatles stuff he was playing... I thought.

For all players, I was running the UniValve in LowV... I prefer the "feel" of the amp at the lower plate value.

How are you doing with yours Phil?

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Kenny's Lightshow is actually not as bright as a typical Ric because 1) he has the newer, higher gain pickups on it which aren't so bright as the traditional Ric pups, and 2) he had Black Diamond strings on it, which made it sound pretty dark. It was no wonder he had the treble cranked. I think he's since put different strings on it, seeing as I think he was just trying out the Black Diamonds cuz he got them for free or something...

Loving it Guit! :thu:

Hey, just to get it straight in my head (no pun intended), you were running a 6550 for the power tube and 12AX7's in both V1 and V2 at the BBQ, right? And do you recall which specific tubes? IOW, was it a Mullard 12AX7 in V1, a whatever in V2, ...?

And you were running in in LoV? I've only tried that with a 6V6... I'll have to try messing with that with a EL34 for a while. In any event, I'm really surprised by how LOUD it was - and is. :) I would have thought running at the lower plate voltage would kill some of the volume. You were using a closed back 2X12 cab, right? What speakers did you have it loaded with?

Rock input, treble at 9 o'clock, gain at around 2, and I'm assuming the noise reduction was going because I saw the light going on and off. The attenuator was on, but at the max output setting until you killed it completely for Kenny? And do you recall where you had the bass set to?

I've got about a dozen various 12V preamp bottles of various flavors (AT's, AX's, AU's, AY's) and they're mostly old Mullards, Telefunkens and other quality stuff. :cool: I'm a bit short on output tubes - I have a big case with a ton of tubes in it but I can't find it at the moment. I've just got the stock EL34 and a couple of 6V6's unless I want to grab a GT EL34Ls out of my highly modded Super Champ or a NOS GT 6V6 from my Princeton II. Gotta get more tubes. :D

Yeah, thanks a lot pal - I'm hooked. :thu:

Here's my BBQ......

:eek::love::eek:

Where did you get it???

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Originally posted by BiC:

Here's my BBQ......

:eek::love::eek:

Where did you get it???

Hi BiC! I custom ordered it directly from Bull BBQ . FYI it is a commercial grade BBQ (6O,000 BTU grill, cast brass burners etc.) and it was MUCH more reasonably priced than many similar BBQ islands I've seen (although I was able to convince the manufacturer to deal with me directly to save even more $$$$). It's the best!

• 7 months later...
The Man Speaks: Is is a tattered, well-used and much-loved '70s MXR micro amp, with all the lettering worn off. It's the only pedal that matters; it makes you louder for solos, then you fall back into the mix when you're done. Everyone should have one. Distortion pedals are for wimps.

Archived