Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Further THD experimentation

BillWelcome Home Studios

So I've given up looking for a good price for Groove Tubes, and just ordered the ones that Miles suggested directly from Groove Tubes.

Might be the most expensive way to go, but I ordered what I wanted with no hassle.

Meanwhile, Dana dropped off some Mesa tubes for me to try. I stuck the Mesa 12AX7/ECC83 in V1 and Drive, and it was too bright for me. Went back to the stock NOS 1990 Bejing THD 12AX7s, and it sounded muffled by comparision. Stuck a Mesa in the V1 slot with the THD in the Drive, and it turned out to be a good combo for me.

I've got a Mesa EL84 to try in the power tube position, but I have to wait for the GT 928 to try it.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bill,

What tones/sounds are you going for?

For classic rock, I'm digging a GT12AX7M in V1, a GT12AT7 in V2, and NOS Mazda 6V6 in the powertube slot.

Creamy overdrive, very touch sensitive.

Also really dig those preamp tubes along with a 6550 powertube...

What did Myles set you up with?

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

He suggested ecc83s in V1 and Drive, with an E34LS or an EL84 for power.

I'm looking for an English sound, late 1960s.

The tubes that Phil uses were, I believe, his suggestion for the Fender Deluxe-ish sound? I have it written down somewhere.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Yeah Bill, it's definitely got more of a Fender Deluxe or Princeton vibe with the 6V6, and is more "Brit" with the EL34's.

Guitplayer was running a 6550 in his Uni at the musicplaer BBQ last month, and it sounded incredible. I was just hoping he could let me know which specific 6550, as well as which preamp tubes he was running so I can go grab some of them. :)

So, how are you liking the THD so far?

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

So, how are you liking the THD so far?

I've been working in the theater all week, (I got the amp late on Friday) It is sitting in the living room, and I play it for about an hour each night. I also let it burn in a little. Made a difference.

At such a low volume, I'm still impresssed. The real test will be when I take it to the studio and jam with someone else and get to turn it up a bit. But there are defintely no regrets.

The difference that the simple front end tube changes made were surprisingly unsubtle. Can't wait to hear what happens when I'm changing power tubes.

Bill

Steve Martin

Archived