Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

You have to hear this!!

DIAMOND DUST

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by fogman:

it's got to be Eric!

It's probably Mr Dust...I never get to listen to chit.One day when I grow up I'm gonna get me

a computer for the crib,and I'll be able to

listen to all you guys.I have heard a few,

and what I heard was very good.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by fogman:

If you backtrack to the link www.noproblem.com it brings you to a tribute website for Shawn Lane.

His music is very interesting. I've never heard of him, and for some reason feel I should know him!? :confused:

You should he's a great player,one of the few

shredders that had a little soul to his playing.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Fogman lifts the curtain!

Shawn Lane was never a mega-star (or even a cult star to the level of Eric Johnson), but gets a lot of props from the guitar community. It seems a lot of folks want to elevate to a mythic god-like status. He was supposed to be very well read and versed in a lot of topics, a real rennaisance man.

I don't hear him at that level. It's GOOD, don't get me wrong. But I think what I hear is that he was uncompromising, and found a way to make a living making a kind of music a lot of us would like to make a living from, but can't (for a variety of reasons).

Good, but not pure, unmitigated genius. Sorry.

Yeah, I caught on to the "no problem here"-tag in the link, and figured it was Shawn Lane.

Cool! Very cool, as a matter of fact; some really rippin' fusion playing, most would-be shredders would pale in a head-cuttin' scenario with him...

Now and then, I get the impression that he was thinking to himself about the Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows"; don't ask me why, it just surfaces in my mind like a little blue sign in a Magic Eightball's window as I listen to it... I'm weird like that. (Surprises never cease, huh?) ;)

What's goin' on there about 02:15 or so, is he using a delay or loop of some kind, or is he manging to get a lot of miles outta one guitar, two hands, and six strings?

I also dig the little tiny Jimi/"Third Stone from the Sun" reference there about 03:48, the whinnying solar-flare horse-scream lick ending his wheedledy but cool shredfest extravaganza with a flourish! Slidin' inta home, stoppin' onna dime!

Nice tone; has as much to do with his hands 'n' fingers, as it does his gear 'n' tap-dance technique (pedal stompin', that is).

So, what's the name of this tune? When, where, 'n' how- and, with whom- was it laid down for posterity? What's the story? or will I have to read a book on butterflies to find out? ;):D:thu::cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Yeah, I caught on to the "no problem here"-tag in the link, and figured it was Shawn Lane.

Cool! Very cool, as a matter of fact; some really rippin' fusion playing, most would-be shredders would pale in a head-cuttin' scenario with him...

Now and then, I get the impression that he was thinking to himself about the Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows"; don't ask me why, it just surfaces in my mind like a little blue sign in a Magic Eightball's window as I listen to it... I'm weird like that. (Surprises never cease, huh?) ;)

What's goin' on there about 02:15 or so, is he using a delay or loop of some kind, or is he manging to get a lot of miles outta one guitar, two hands, and six strings?

I also dig the little tiny Jimi/"Third Stone from the Sun" reference there about 03:48, the whinnying solar-flare horse-scream lick ending his wheedledy but cool shredfest extravaganza with a flourish! Slidin' inta home, stoppin' onna dime!

Nice tone; has as much to do with his hands 'n' fingers, as it does his gear 'n' tap-dance technique (pedal stompin', that is).

So, what's the name of this tune? When, where, 'n' how- and, with whom- was it laid down for posterity? What's the story? or will I have to read a book on butterflies to find out? ;):D:thu::cool:

You have a great ear kev. There's alot of stuff going on in his playing. Certainly not your average shredder. His use of the whammy bar is up there with Jeff Beck. I don't think he's using a loop. It almost sounds like a Digitech Whammy pedal, but it wouldn't suprise me if it was just pinch harmonics, the bar, and volume swells.

It was recorded in 2001, but i'm not sure where. The band is, Lane, Jonas Hellborg, and Jeff Sipe. One of the best trios ever IMO.

I really have to find that 'Star licks' video that he put out. :cool::):cool:

Archived