Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dual Rectifier for recording

GreggTL

My studio records local bands. Sometimes their amps sound like shit but I've noticed that most any of these dual-rectifier amps usually record pretty well no matter what the rest of the chain is...sooo.....I was thinking about buying one for the studio. Obviously I want to spend as little money as possible but I will spend enough to get the job done. Which amps are my most logical considerations? Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dunno much about recording and micing amps, but I'll tell ya, if younger bands are what seems to be coming your way, and they all have some high gain stuff, then probably either a nice Mesa or a nice Marshall would do the job. Depending on the size of your studio, I'd recommend either a Mesa Dual Rectifier, as you described, or a Marshall DSL100. Both are hundred-watt amps that will do the job just fine.
Shut up and play.

I don't find many players who are willing to use anything other than their own rig in the studio. Granted, session players might come in here and see the Wall O' Amps and can usually find something that they dig or would like to try, but most bands are looking for their signature sound, and they aren't likely to want to experiment.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I'll tell you what gets my players excited.... amps from the 1960s and 1950s. I have a collection of Silvertones from the 50s and 60s, and even one from the 40s. I have Fenders going back to 1952. I have an Ampeg and a Vox from the mid 1960s. The newer Vox and Marshall? The Roland or Gibson? The G&K? nobody cares. But some vintage thing, they get fired up and start to drool.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived