Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

~If you could have been in any band~

DIAMOND DUST

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pink Floyd. They expanded my musical horizons and I sit back and think of all the stuff I could have added both on guitar and drums.

The forumite formerly known as Cooper.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Lennon

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will finally know peace." Jimi Hendrix

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." Jimi Hendrix

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/pek63/wayouts.gif

These guys might do... but I'd settle for the Beatles in a pinch.

Like the Stones, these guys had the experience of travelling time as music and the technology changed drastically. How wild (or dangerous) would it be to travel back in time with the gear of today :eek:

I guess it helps if the band stays together for a couple decades.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Here's a thought, but it would NEVER EVER IN A MILLION YEARS happen:

Celine Dion

(or Whitney Houston before drugs)

(or any of the pop divas forced in our faces by the music business)

Realizes they really can sing, and that the svengali producers have been spoon feeding them pap for years, and get this BS material put in front of them, so that some bean counter can guarantee sales to the stereotypical drippy woman who needs "emotion" in her life because her husband is a detached moron (the soap opera crowd).

Celine decides to take a risk and make music for music's sake first, and let the success happen as it may. She decides she needs a suitable player to share the spotlight, and push her to excel, not just recite what's formulaic.

Sort of like Ozzy finding Randy Rhoads after Sabbath, but with pop music.

Have you ever heard the song "Memories" by Material (Bill Laswell, etc.)? It's a pop ballad sung by Whitney Houston when she was about 17, and with Archie Shepp playing saxophone. :love:

Hmmmmm.. Billster.. just what you been smokin' there boy! :eek:

Had to read that three times to make sure you were on the level and then it came to me..

You'll get any gear and all the gear you could possibly imagine with that gig!

Smart move :thu:

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Shoes: A producer friend of mine and I had this running debate about what makes good pop music. This debate went on for years.

It all started when U2 won the grammy for album of the year over some late 80's boy band.

He said that you needed perfect performances, and had great respect for the producers of New Kids on the Block, New Edition (or whatever the hell Bobby Brown's old band was), etc. for getting "perfect" performances of the song as written.

I said that you needed some dirt, some "mistakes" to (god forgive me for writing this phrase) keep it real.

My argument was that Bono wasn't going to be perfect, but if you beat him over the head with a stick and a ProTools rig (actually at the time, 2" tape and a razor blade) you could make him perfect, but it wasn't Bono anymore. An acceptable lack of perfection defined a Bono performance.

So, back to my first thread, I would like to hear one of these divas try an acceptable lack of perfection, and I'm just the guy to push them along.

Plus I get free gear for showing up. :D

Afetr mucho consideration (about 2 minutes), I think...

I'd have loved to be in the B Sharps.

Feck... Homer Simpson is in my band?

That makes almost everything forgiveable!! :D

Besides... they actually WERE bigger than Jesus. Hell, isn't that what they named one of their albums?

Ricky

(All apologies to that Jesus guy....)

Click on some ads once in a while!! :) -------------->

Iron Maiden. I'm not really into stuff that heavy anymore, but I'm trying to think musically and the personalities involved as well. I used to follow them a lot when I first got into rock music and don't recall ever reading that any of them suffered any serious drink or drug problems or were particularly known as hell raisers, but at the same time they were obviously enjoying what they did and did it all with a sense of fun.

Not sure I could handle their football obsession tho ;)

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Phish.

they play everything. i've heard them play AC/DC, Nirvana, the entire dark side of the moon album, the entire white album, experimental jazz, bluegrass, straight up rock, straight up funk, barbershop quartet, the vacuum (this is no shit: i saw jon fishman play "if i only had a brain" on a vacuum backed up by bela fleck and victor wooten).

musically, i don't think anything could be so satisfying for an ADHD musician like myself :D

Queen.

It's not often you get to play in a band with a frontman the likes of Freddie Mercury.

In an effort to improve the responsiveness of e-mail for everyone, the e-mail servers will be out of service.

We are hopeful that this change will improve the performance of e-mail.

I can't possibly imagine having been in the Beatles... but that's the obvious choice. Once upon a time I would have said the Eagles too. I was a big fan in the 70's.

A bit more realistic as far as era: Jellyfish. If I had been in Jason Falkner's shoes, I definitely wouldn't have split after Bellybutton and would have stayed for Spilt Milk. From where I "come from", records don't get much better than that.

Another one from "my" era: Matthew Sweet. That looks like it would have been a sweet (pardon the pun) gig.

It would also be fun to be in Aimee Mann's band - they're all first rate players and I really like the material.

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

It would also be fun to be in Aimee Mann's band - they're all first rate players and I really like the material.

nice choice! i hadn't really thought of her having a band, really. but you're dead on...

The Pretenders.

Had to think hard about this. I almost said Rockpile, but they came in a very close second.

Ask me tomorrow and I will probably pick them over the Pretenders.

I love the songwriting of both Chrissy Hynde & Nick Lowe and I also love the musical style of each band. This is a real toss-up for me.

(Gotta admit though, Chrissy's radical vegatarianism kinda gets on my nerves. :evil: Maybe I should have said Rockpile? :confused: )

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Rockpile! :thu::thu::thu: Great choice, Mudcat.

The Beatles would be an obvious choice for me, as would the Kinks, but I think I would like a shot at being in The Attractions - thanks to Mr. Costello's skill in working in different styles it would never get dull, and the rest of the Attractions are a pretty crack unit.

(I would especially have liked to have been on the tour where they had a big wheel with song titles and spun it to figure out what they would perform next.)

John

Originally posted by Base:

Iron Maiden. I'm not really into stuff that heavy anymore, but I'm trying to think musically and the personalities involved as well. I used to follow them a lot when I first got into rock music and don't recall ever reading that any of them suffered any serious drink or drug problems or were particularly known as hell raisers, but at the same time they were obviously enjoying what they did and did it all with a sense of fun.

Not sure I could handle their football obsession tho ;)

Couldn't have said it better myself. I love Maiden, and I don't think they have any problems either. I also play like them as it is, so it would be no adjustment. Ditto on the soccer thing. (Not football :D )
Shut up and play.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

This one Trunk of Funk. It is open to change. It involves whoever is willing to put in the time to create something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like a good gig to me.

And now the saga contiunes. The bass player and I are breaking up. I don't think I can stay there anymore. It's sad that the first time I play the state fair is the last time I will probably play in this band. It's worse that I really wanted to spend the rest of my life with her.

Question? Wouldn't you guys rather play in a band where you can take your playing to the highest place, instead of thinking about being someone else? No one can fill your shoes better than you!

Archived