Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"New" NOS EF86 / 6267 available

myles_rose

"New" NOS EF86 / 6267 available

Mike over at www.kcanostubes.com has a "new" NOS offering:

NOS Dario Miniwatt EF86----------------------------------------------------$ 45 Each

Made in Holland with mesh plates. Same as Amperex labeled item above.

I received two of these and this weekend I will take photos and put them up.

So far on the testing I have found a few things....

Like most all NOS EF86 tubes, they seem to have been all made off the same tooling. Philips was the big maker, and these folks hand their hand in Mullard (they owned them) and Amperex.

There are differences in the shield screen among various NOS EF86 tubes but this seems to mean nothing at all. Whether the screen is a screen or solid sheet these all trace the same and only NOS EF86 tubes meet specs at 250 plate volts, 140 screen volts, 2 volt bias of the proper gain, output, and transconductance. Their plate resistance is much lower than new EF86 tubes (none of that slag junk in the plate material) so their gain is much higher.

Even with higher gain they are much quieter with a much improved signal to noise ratio.

I installed one of these in a Dr. Z Z-28 amp. Just like the NOS EF86's in the KT-45 and RxES there was immediate improvement. The amp is quiter, has more gain if you want it, is more defined and articulate. The touch sensitivity is improved pretty darn dramatically. The life of NOS EF86's is also MANY times, and when I say "many" I mean over ten times, the life of current new EF86 tubes.

I left this tube in my Z-28. I also put a set of NOS RCA brown base 6V6 tubes in there after the EF86 tests. What was a great amp is now a grand amp.

The second of these will be installed in a Delta 88 which should arrive before the weekend. This will also be photographed.

I tried these tubes in the Victoria Sovereign and Matchless DC-30 and in the case of the Matchless the result was even more dramatic. The Matchless (and Bad Cat) use channel 2 for their gain channel and really pummel these tubes. This is the only tube in these amps in the tone / gain stage of this channel and you really notice a difference. MUCH more gain, much more grunt and balls and MUCH quieter for the same output level.

I don't know how many of these Mike has but I am getting back in line.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

I don't even own anything that uses an EF86/6267, but your recommendation makes me want to sock a few away, Myles!

You need to get something :)

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

That's actually a fair deal, for what it'll handle! :cool:

A bit less than I expected, by about a grand or so; and considerably less than Big Red's fellow lecturergoer's rarity! Still, not "cheap", huh?

Myles- yeah, I imagine that I would benefit from a Z or Bad Cat one day... ! :cool::thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived