Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

mac users: what's your ISP?

i use att worldnet w/56k ($19.95 unlimited) and have recently been experiencing extremely slow connections (at this moment i'm at 14400 bps). sometimes telemarketers call & ask if i want cable or dsl, but when i say "mac", they say i have to buy expensive hardware (also, i have an iBook 466 w/ ethernet, no ports). what do you use? price? are you happy? are you also happy with your ISP?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use AOL, more out of habit than anything...I've had is since 94, I think. They definitely treat Mac customers like 2nd class citizens... I have heard some balking from ISP's about having a Mac, but my brother had a cable modem connection for a while, and, after some serious TCP/IP settings guesswork, it worked great, actually better than his PC did. I downloaded an 8 Meg update from Mac's website in about 20 seconds. I'm in Denver now and am going to try to get cable out here...I'll see if they try to tell me a Mac won't work, or that it'll cost me more. My guess would be they just don't want to take the time to set it up. Oh, I also use DSL at work on my Dual 800 and it works great. Hope that helps some, later, kc

Hopefully, you don't live in some rural area, which could affect your choices. Otherwise, various cable/dsl companies are fighting to get customers. If one of 'em don't offer support for mac, then f*ck 'em. I've had both dsl & cable, and they can be self installed.(depending upon who the provider is) It takes only a few minutes. I've had Verizon Dsl - which is alright compared to a dialup modem, but not really that fast. Also a lot of bottlenecks in their network.(at least in my area) Right now I'm using Roadrunner Cable- which is working fine on both my macs. Speeds over 1 megabit ! (depends where you live, I suppose) alon

Just to add one thing; Both the ones mentioned are about $40 a month. (unless you want/need more speed) Ethernet is the way to go. Don't let somebody talk you into a usb modem. What expensive hardware ? You just need a cable or dsl modem, which is either loaned to you, or you purchase it, depending upon the provider.(I paid about $100 for dsl modem)

We have a RCN cable modem on our Imac at home. The cable modem (included in package price) plugs right into my ethernet port. I'll never go back to a dialup again. the speed difference is incredible. We used to have earthlink on a dialup, but the connection rarely got better than 28.8. We get our cable TV, our phone and our cable internet all through the same provider. That's the way to go. 1 bill, no hassles. The price is better than when everything was separate too.

Earthlink DSL on my home iMac. $39.95 a month. Includes a free 10MB personal web site space. Works great. All hardware was free, and installation was as difficult as plugging in a few cables and phone adapters. Took me less than 10 minutes to be up and running. Of course, you have to live within "X" proximity to the DSL hub, so if not, you're SOL. Good luck. - Jeff

I work as a tech for Southwestern Bell, but have dialup right now. The guys who do our DSL (a separate subsidiary) told me that Macs were easier to connect and less quirky than PC's, which makes sense, since all new Macs are already ethernet and USB ready, and pretty much consistant. There is such a variety of PC configurations that conflicts are inevitable. The company just came out with a $30 per month employee DSL that I may try even though I'm just out of the prime zone for DSL.

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

I use Earthlink with both my Macs and PC's.... Generally I've found the Macs actually do better on speed average - I normally get on at 48K, on the other hand the PC side is a little quirky in that area, and sometimes downright annoying trying to get on faster than 40K... Gnerally I can't knock Earthlink's services - despite the problems I have on the PC side (fortunately it's sporadic at most). I've heard much worse stories from other ISP's. Once I'm connected, it stays connected, I've used it for 2 years now and with maybe a couple of exceptions I never get a dropped carrier (and the Mac side has never dropped carrier, ever).

"Don't say I didn't warn ya.."

www.mp3.com/adamkittle

Earthlink DSL. I have a router and a lan that contains my mac and 2 pcs (and sometimes my pc laptop). don't let them tell you you need hardware, all you need is ethernet. i pay 39.95 for a 1.5Mbps connection. very reliable, and very fast. [quote]Originally posted by wager47: [b]i use att worldnet w/56k ($19.95 unlimited) and have recently been experiencing extremely slow connections (at this moment i'm at 14400 bps). sometimes telemarketers call & ask if i want cable or dsl, but when i say "mac", they say i have to buy expensive hardware (also, i have an iBook 466 w/ ethernet, no ports). what do you use? price? are you happy? are you also happy with your ISP?[/b][/quote]

Using Earthlink DSL through Verizon, splitting it between two Macs. That said, Verizon has really goofed up with some so-called billing problems (it's withdrawn from a credit card every month, and the problem is on their end), so we are in a lull without DSL at the moment, and are using Earthlink dial-up, which seems to work fine. The only computer that has a modem is my venerable old PC from 1994, and this is how I am posting here today! The DSL, when it was working, worked very well. ------------------ Ken/Eleven Shadows/d i t h er/Nectar http://www.elevenshadows.com 4 music, travel, more! http://www.cdbaby.com/elevenshadows

[quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: [b]Using Earthlink DSL through Verizon [/b][/quote] how does that work? (having earthlinkg AND verizon?) i have no problems whatsoever with earthlink. my roomates have verizon as their wireless carriers and have had real customer service problems, tho. [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif[/img]

guys, I don't know about the rest of the country but DSL in NYC is bad news. I have had a earthlink account for years, (dial up) and it is great but when I wanted to go to fast internet I tried them first, TERRIBLE !!! bad service, slow connecttions , dropped conections, ip's # that change on every log on, not true "on all the time " access, crappy macpoet ppp/oe utillity to log on. kicks you if it's inactive for more than 20 seconds. nightmare, earthlink tacks on over verizon so the support is crappy X2. I switched to road runner and cant be happier. all the time FAST connections, I tranfer audio "big" files all the time with fetch, limewire, hotline, It's great. Funny thing is just last week I started getting emails from earthlink DSL support saying. Welcome to earthlink DSL your connection is now ready. idiots, I cancelled 3 month ago. anyway the bottom line, Earthlink dial up--- YES, great service, nationwide dial-up, good mac support. Earthlink DSL (in nyc) absolute crap! dont do it, It's mindspring on top of earthlink' on top of verizon. bad service , bad support. Roadrunner cable--YES YES YES, great support, great service, mac and pc people at support, they came intalled and configured my mac within 4 days of my order. my $.02 theo mack
theo

yeah, that PPPoE shit sucks. I get around it by having my router do all the work.... it has pppoe client built into the firmware, and just maintains a constant connection. if for some reason the connection gets dropped, the router just connects again. so the computers on the lan don't know the difference, they just use DHCP and they are happy. the router makes all the difference in the world. [quote]Originally posted by theom: [b]guys, I don't know about the rest of the country but DSL in NYC is bad news. I have had a earthlink account for years, (dial up) and it is great but when I wanted to go to fast internet I tried them first, TERRIBLE !!! bad service, slow connecttions , dropped conections, ip's # that change on every log on, not true "on all the time " access, crappy macpoet ppp/oe utillity to log on. kicks you if it's inactive for more than 20 seconds. nightmare, earthlink tacks on over verizon so the support is crappy X2. I switched to road runner and cant be happier. all the time FAST connections, I tranfer audio "big" files all the time with fetch, limewire, hotline, It's great. Funny thing is just last week I started getting emails from earthlink DSL support saying. Welcome to earthlink DSL your connection is now ready. idiots, I cancelled 3 month ago. anyway the bottom line, Earthlink dial up--- YES, great service, nationwide dial-up, good mac support. Earthlink DSL (in nyc) absolute crap! dont do it, It's mindspring on top of earthlink' on top of verizon. bad service , bad support. Roadrunner cable--YES YES YES, great support, great service, mac and pc people at support, they came intalled and configured my mac within 4 days of my order. my $.02 theo mack[/b][/quote]

In SoCal, I have Cox@Home cable modem on my G4. Rocks. Others in my area have had some complaints, but I've moved the service from one residence to another and had no problems or speed differences.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Archived