Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recourse: about Relax

Axeholder

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it is a matter of confidence. You play awhile, you get used to it, you get comfortable with it, and you won't be nervous.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I played with this horn player who was week due to lack of movement. He had this week rattling sound when he played. It was hard to listen to. He worked past the problem. The vibrato was something he learned to use to his advantage. That sound I could barely listen to became a pleasent sound that had the effect of sounding like old big band recordings. Pay attention the sound you are making. It may have a use!

Confidence is the key. You'll get that by lots of practice and experience.

A good way to start is to play a lot in situations where it "doesn't matter", like at home while you're sitting around, or at a friend's or family member's party (barbecue, whatever). Anyplace where the people around aren't there to listen to you.

This way you'll get more comfortable playing in front of others, and you won't think about it much. Then when you need to play in front of people who are listening you'll already be used to doing it.

:thu:

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

If you're practicing as a band and you are edgy that's only normal early on in your experience and for that matter any time you're with new people.

I'm an edgy guy. I don't know why. I get lots of complements and people want me to play more and step up but I'm just not comfortable with piles of people. :freak:

When we practiced I think that we'd always start off with a warm up session where we'd play songs we all knew very well and had down like dirt. We'd use it to experiment a little and loosen up before starting the process of learning and commenting on eachother's timing, etc.

By then you're warm and relaxed you're certainly in a position to concentrate on what you're doing and focus on the finer details of your interest.

? What you are playing and where you are doing it can have quite an impact on your ability to concentrate. If it's solo practice, perhaps you need a rig that's not too offensive to the surrounding community.

Don't let it stand in the way of your progress and be willing to explore change.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

Open mics helped me.

Good suggestion!

Just be sure of two things if you play at an open mic:

1) The first few times you do it, only play songs you are really comfortable with. That way if you get nervous you can sorta go on "autopilot" if you have to.

2) Don't sit around drinking before you go on! Sometimes you have to wait quite a while before you play, and, since open mics are usually in bars, it's easy to "just have a beer while you're waiting". Of course, that tends to lead to: "well I've been here an hour already and there are still 5 people ahead of me... Guess I'll have another beer!" And so on. Not that you can't play if you've had a beer or two, but if you're already nervous even a teensy blunder will make it worse, and alcohol is prone to bringing out a certain looseness, which can lead to sloppiness, which can be the genesis of mistakes.

Don't stack the deck against yourself, drink iced tea. Then have a couple of cold ones to celebrate when you're done! :thu:

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

The first time I ever played in front of even a small crowd was a gig at a junior high school for about twenty girls. I played the drums then so it wasn't quite so bad. But I did start the drum roll on the last verse of "Gloria" a measure too soon and had it keep it going. I don't think anyone ever noticed but me!

The first times I played guitar in a band, I played acoustic rhythmn. I was nervous as a polecat facing hounds but I couldn't help but notice that all eyes in the crowd were usually on the singer. After a few gigs I relaxed and had a ball!

If you play with other guitarists at first its always easier I've found. Good luck!

:thu:

...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

• 2 weeks later...

Just "Loosen Up"?

Thank you! guys

I'm now trying to get it.

these days the notes that i played satisfied me better. Thanks for your help again, i love you~

And,It's hardly to practice with any other one because there's only one true rock guitar player in our dorm, that's me. other guitar players here they didn't know what and how they're playing. I don't like them. I think i'd better focus on what i'm doing, but not influence them.

Hey! My friends.

Please Visit: www.yngwie.cn

Our Forum Adress: bbs.yngwie.cn

Originally posted by Axeholder:

other guitar players here they didn't know what and how they're playing. I don't like them. I think i'd better focus on what i'm doing, but not influence them.

If you are even worrying about them, you are wasting your time. Why are you thinking about them at all?

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

While I don't have much live experience, it doesn't sound like that's your problem.

I find that the better I know and can execute the exercise/song/riff, etc., the more I can relax and play it "smoother". Maybe this is what you're experiencing?

Get to know the exercise, the song and yourself better :cool:

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Archived