Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

To DR Pure Blues users

NMcGuitar

I've been using these strings for a while now (I tried them based primarily on recommendations from folks here). I like their sound, and I love their feel, but recently I've had a few problems.

The last 2 or 3 sets I've used have fallen apart pretty quickly.

First, the high E strings break a lot. I tend to do BIG bends, so that's gonna happen from time to time, but it's happening WAY more frequently than it used to. I thought maybe I should change to a heavier guage, but when I replace it with a cheap single from the music store (same guage) I don't have the problem.

The second thing is the windings on the lower strings (it seems to primarily be the D, but others have done it too). They keep breaking off. The string doesn't snap, but the outer winding breaks and unwinds just a little (usually over a fret wire). This, of course totally shoots the tone of the string.

I've been using Pure Blues for about a year or so, and this has only happened to me recently.

Could it be something I'm doing?

Is it possible that I just managed to get a couple of defective sets?

Have any of you had a similar problem with them?

Thanks for any input! :)

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you still have the packaging check out if there is a lot number to see if they all come from the same batch.

If not a lot number see if there is an expiration date or a date of manufacture.

Secondly, go to their website and send them an e-mail with your concern, let them know where and when you bought them--it could be a defect, improper storing/shipping conditions, any number of things but see what their response is, maybe they'll even throw a couple of freebies your way.

It would help if you have the above info but if not just tell them when and where you bought them.

Companies need this type of concern/feedback to keep the standards up for the consumer. They have to have some type of quality control in place to inspect the product-maybe a bad batch went out the door...

anyway, can't help you with your question but good luck

Unfortunatley I tossed the packaging when I put the strings on. :(

Checking their site is a good idea, though. I do remember approximately when I bought them (about 8-9 weeks ago), and where, so maybe there is some way they can check.

Thanks.

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

I don't use the Pure Blues 'cause I use the Rare Phosphor Bronze acoustic strings. They've been great but I did break a couple of high E strings on string up. I wrote them an email concerning the problem and with the information about my experience, how I do my new installs and tune up, pre stretching & etc and when they were breaking. That happened to be during the prestretch. They responded pretty quickly and sent me a half dozen .010s for my trouble.

There is no lot number, or production date on the DR Rare Phosphor Bronze box so likely not on the Pure Blue boxes either. Maybe on the inner package. I haven't noticed one though.

Anyway, write or call. They will take care of you.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Wow, strange! Haven't experienced that, sorry that you have, hope it doesn't happen to you again or me ever!

Everything what 'Diss 'n' dak' said, too.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Same here Neil,

I started using them based on the high praise that they got on this forum. On the first two sets that I used, the high E string broke within one hour of playing on them. I thought it was a set up issue with my new Artcore. The Artcore is back at the store getting the free first set up. Maybe it was the strings after all and not the fault of the guitar?? I guess I will find out after I get it back.

Once I thought I saw you, in a crowded, hazy, bar........

I' d first have my guitar looked at by a luthier. In the 70s I had a lot of similar trouble with one of my Gibsons, which ended up being a bad bridge that was eating throught he strings (sawing through them as I did bends) You might also have a fret issue, if the same strings keep unraveling at the same fret.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

i agree with bill, burrs on frets and saddles eat more strings than people realize. it's a good idea to get your frets dressed about once a year.

personally, i haven't had these problems with the Pure Blues, hopefully i won't ;)

It's pretty easy to deduce if your bridge saddles are cutting the string.

Just look at where the string breaks. If it's right at the saddle...then it might be a burr or a sharp edge in the saddle.

If it's breaking somewhere along the neck/frets...see if all the various string breaks line up with a particular fret...all the time.

It may be that one fret has developed a sharp edge from wear...and that is what is cutting the string after you bend it a few times over that fret.

Of course...if each string breaks randomly...at different points...then it just might be bad strings.

I've had some break between the bridge and the stop-tail...right where the winding that hold the brass ball, terminates...and that's probably do to poor manufacturing. When they wound the end of the string around itself, it pinched the string and created a weak spot.

Anyway...do some basic investigation, and you might find your problem...before you set out a new-brand-of-strings hunt.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

The E has broken in different places each time, and never at the bridge (that was my first thought). It seems to usually be between the 19th (or so) fret, and the middle of the pickups. I say the 19th fret because that's about as far up as I can reach, and it breaks higher than that.

Regarding the bit with the wound strings, I can't feel any burrs or roughness on the frets, and I had them dressed when I got the guitar (about 7 months ago), so I don't think that's the problem.

Also, as I mentioned, I don't seem to have the issue with other brands.

Hopefully I just got a couple of bad sets. I don't plan on changing to another brand, because I really do like the sound and feel of the Pure Blues. If they're just a little weaker in general (or something like that), I'll just change my strings more often. :cool:

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by NMcGuitar:

Hopefully I just got a couple of bad sets. I don't plan on changing to another brand, because I really do like the sound and feel of the Pure Blues. If they're just a little weaker in general (or something like that), I'll just change my strings more often. :cool:

NM,

I've been using DR strings near 10 years, the Bright Wires and High Beams (I believe). I tried the Pure Blues at one point and found them to be dead or toneless out of the package.

Only once have I had an unusual breakage problem - like yours, string breaks obviously having nothing to do with the guitar. I called DR (back before I had an active email account) and they shipped me a few packs.

I have also had bridge-related breakage problems. Saddles do develop burrs and grooves which you can't necessarily see or feel. Sometimes, you need a magnifying glass. Also, I recently had to replace an entire vintage-style bridge on a Strat. It actually had developed grooves where the strings bend to go below the face-plate of the bridge.

Good luck. Hopefully a few new sets of strings will set you straight.

Vinny

Vinny Cervoni

vcbluzman@hotmail.com

www.bluzberrypi.com

www.42ndstband.com

Archived