Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pedalboard Advice?

6 stringer

The problem: too many pedals and cables.

The solution: some kind of pedalboard.

Some are made of plastic and some seem to be made of canvass, and some seem to have power so you can dispense with wall warts.

Some people build their own, and some people buy them pre-made from a store.

Would you build your own or buy one?

Are there good plans out there that show you how to do it yourself.

If you decide to buy one, will it hold up under sever abuse?

Are any of them really junk?

Comments and opinions about pedalboards would be appreciated along with any links. Thanks.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I bought a couple of pedalboard cases for my stuff. I have a bunch of stomps and I also have a Roland GR-33 gtr synth that needed protection. The store bought cases are convenient, come in a number of sizes, and have latches that permit you to remove the top easily to use the base on the floor. I spent about $60 each for mine, they were the cheap ones. I treat them carfully and they've held up well. I also got a multi output power supply which makes life a lot simpler. Now I just flip a switch and the whole board turns on, no more unplugging everything to save the batteries. I even wired my Vox Wah for an external power input so I can leave it plugges in also. I like the convenience factor. When these eventually fall apart I'll consider buying the expensive Anvil type next time.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

I recommend building your own. Only you know your space and flexibility requirements.

Check this out: Boss Loop selector/power distribution (PDF)

And this: Power distribution cord

Of course the power jacks have to fit those cables, but with an AC adapter and a distribution cable, your a step ahead.

Go to Radio Shack and get some sheet velcro and plastic clips for routing the wires, and tack things down to a 1x12 plank of desired length. Paint the plank any color you want.

I bought a PB3V from DC Case and love it. I did a LOT of shopping around, and came to the general conclusion that pedal board makers are just like amp case makers -- they value their work highly (not a slam, just an observation on the final price of plywood, plastic, and aluminum squares). This pedal board is carpet covered and somewhat heavier than would be the laminate alternative, but at $99 it holds EVERYTHING -- CLyde Wah, Fulldrive, AB/Y box, Paracoustic DI, Marshall channel switch, J12 controller on the riser, wireless receiver under the riser, a power strip (so I've got outlets near me for various other things like the fan I hook to the mic stand -- I don't use the wallwarts for the pedals but a One Spot, see below). This wouldn't do for airline travel, but in the van it works great, easily reconfigured (I'm left footed so I had to move the riser around for the Wah). DC Cases also sells on eBay where you can sometimes buy without shipping.

For power, it's really hard to beat the One Spot in my opinion. Small, easy, cheap, clean and quiet.

OT: anyone else find being left footed difficult in the world of effects pedals (especially wah's)?

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

Originally posted by daddyelmis:

OT: anyone else find being left footed difficult in the world of effects pedals (especially wah's)?

Are you playing righty? Maybe the neck of the guitar hanging to the side your treadling your pedal with messes things up. Did Hendrix use his right or left foot to mash the crybaby?

Maybe he's interested in that Klingon model with the nuclear reactor and built in tire jack. Seems to answer all of his needs and then some.

Actually it helps to look at the rigs pros tour with and see how they've simplified and solidified their boards. I see lots of duct tape on everyone's gear.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Originally posted by billster:

Are you playing righty? Maybe the neck of the guitar hanging to the side your treadling your pedal with messes things up. Did Hendrix use his right or left foot to mash the crybaby?
I play lefty, but the wah was designed for righty's so the input comes in on the right, which is backwards when it's on the left side of my board so the output has to run around the pedal. In the grand scheme of things it's a minor annoyance, but it would seem there's a fair percentage of lefties out there and they could either give you a choice or a switch to reverse the input/output (or just put the connectors on the front of the wah).

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

Originally posted by billster:

I play lefty, but the wah was designed for righty's so the input comes in on the right, which is backwards when it's on the left side of my board so the output has to run around the pedal. In the grand scheme of things it's a minor annoyance, but it would seem there's a fair percentage of lefties out there and they could either give you a choice or a switch to reverse the input/output (or just put the connectors on the front of the wah).
I thought you meant the balance factor was a problem. When you have one foot on a pedal, you shift your weight to the other foot, and I figured if the guitar neck is on the same side as the foot on the pedal, it might louse up your balance. I'm afraid I don't see how the cabling or physical location relative to the overall board makes a difference.

Never had a balance problem. The cabling issue is just that the Wah's I've owned are all obviously designed assuming they are on the far right of the pedal line, so the guitar input is far right, the output feeds out the left side to the next effect, etc. etc.

You put that on the far left side, and you feed the pedal from the inboard side of the wah, you have to run the output from the left side around the unit to the next effect, etc. etc, which (if also designed assuming a right orientation) has its inputs/outputs "backwards" from a left perspective, and so the whole line of effects has a lot of "crossovers."

Not a huge problem, but makes the cabling messier, longer runs, etc. On a crowded board, every little bit counts.

www.ruleradio.com

But why does the wah have to go on the extreme left of the board? If every pedal is the same as far as input on the right, output on the left, just adjust your chain in that direction.

I do think the input/output deal is backwards, at least in English, as we read left to right. Perhaps this explains why the manuals appear to be written in Sanskrit :freak: . :D

I like my One Spot. I don't think I'll ever use batteries. Hopefully, I'm not missing much, like the sound you get from a dying battery. But how long can that last anyway? I'd be stressing about it the whole time.

I have an ElectroHarmonix Bag. $29. I'm easy on my equipment. It's not road-worthy.

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Unemployed:

FWIW, I never found any plans on the 'net for a DIY board when I was looking.

One interesting avenue I saw, but never fully explored, was using a old suitcase as the starter. Get one of those old, hard-sided and square suitcases from a Goodwill or Thrift store. Install a 1/4" or so plywood base, remove the back hinges and replace with those "clip hinges" (see Home Depot), add better front latches, et Voila -- pedal board case.

Search the 'net and you'll probably find the site for the guy I saw that took pictures of the process -- it seemed to work pretty well.

At the end of the day, IMHO, I figured I would spend about what I spent on my DC Case and it wouldn't look as nice -- so I dropped the coin.

www.ruleradio.com

Originally posted by Unemployed:

Can you tell me more about the multi output power supply? What it does? Brand name? Cost? Thanks

I found a used Guyatone P.S.U. with 8 outputs that has been working well for the last 2 years. There are a lot of good ones to choose from but the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 is one of the best. This one has fully isolated and regulated outputs to minimize hum from ground loops. It also has outputs for different voltages and a dead battery pot on a couple.

You can also get parts and plans for a DIY PSU with 4 outputs from Steve Daniels' Small Bear Electronics. Small Bear is a favorite among DIY'ers for all kinds of Stomp box Projects:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/home.html

Also check out GeoFex. there are plans and schematics for pedal board supplies there:

http://www.geofex.com/

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Unemployed:

FWIW, I never found any plans on the 'net for a DIY board when I was looking.

One interesting avenue I saw, but never fully explored, was using a old suitcase as the starter. Get one of those old, hard-sided and square suitcases from a Goodwill or Thrift store. Install a 1/4" or so plywood base, remove the back hinges and replace with those "clip hinges" (see Home Depot), add better front latches, et Voila -- pedal board case.

That's a great idea, except it might look cool to leave the top lid on so it looked like you just had an open suitcase in front of you.

"For instance" is not proof.

That's what you end up with -- you just replace the existing hinges with those kind that allow the top be removed for playing.

The one this guy had a picture of was quite cool looking. And if you find a TWEED suitcase (which were relatively common in the early 50's), you have a great look.

www.ruleradio.com

That's what you end up with -- you just replace the existing hinges with those kind that allow the top be removed for playing.

The one this guy had a picture of was quite cool looking. And if you find a TWEED suitcase (which were relatively common in the early 50's), you have a great look.

You could also put a strong blacklight in the case and have that whole mysterious "Pulp Fiction" vibe without blinding yourself.

"For instance" is not proof.

I love tweed more than any other exterior and think this is a cool idea. The one issue with which you have to grapple is how do you deal with the side of the suitcase that will be near you on the floor, the side with the latches and handle. Will that be in your way? I know it would be in my way.

For quite some time now, I've been using a Furman SP-8 board. It's a bit pricey. But, it comes 8 jacks and links to power eight 9 volt pedals. Also, there are three traditional looking outlets to power effects that require more than 9 volts. The power supply is conditioned, like other Furman power supplies. It also has a hard-wired three-prong tail that's six or eight feet long. The board upon which the pedals are mounted is plexi-glass with velcro glued to it. It's pretty sturdy and comes with it's own canvas carrying case with extra pockets.

It doesn't have that tweed mojo, but has been very reliable.

I'd love to know if you are successful with your case quest.

Vinny Cervoni

vcbluzman@hotmail.com

www.bluzberrypi.com

www.42ndstband.com

I personally find it hard to be the One Spot power adapter -- cheap, quiet, easy to use, takes up practically no space. The only drawback is if you need 18v for some purpose.

www.ruleradio.com

Archived