Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I saw Larry Carlton last night.... INCREDIBLE!!!

Jedro

OK, so I'm a huge Larry Carlton fan. He played in Charlotte last night at a small theater. This was the second time I've seen LC, the first was with Stanley Clark back around '98.

Opening was a local group, the Brubakers. Guitar, sax, keys, bass, drums and percussion. Good group with some really good tunes, and a fantastic guitarist, who I didn't know. He played a 335-ish guitar with F-holes, maybe an Ibanez and pulled off the "Carlton sound" really well. One thing, though - terrible mix. I was less than 10 feet from the FOH position, and couldn't believe what I was hearing. Don't know if the guy just didn't give a crap, he was obviously with the outfit that was supplying the PA. Sometimes those guys don't seem to care. Anyway, the Brubakers were a good band and would definitely see them again.

On to Larry.....

After a short break, Larry's band came out. Aside from LC himself, there was a four piece horn section, keys, drums and bass. They started the show with a fast shuffle, something off the new album. Larry played a 335, which is his trademark guitar. No sign of a Valley Arts.... Amp-wise, there were two Dumble heads - MNJGG would have crapped his pants. The tone he had...AMAZING. He has such a good touch and is a very sympathetic guitarist; I've always loved that about his playing. Let me say that LC's FOH guy had the mix nailed. I was glad about that. After a few new tunes, Larry joked that he's been around so long that he has an "oldies" segment to his show, which we were about to hear. He then kicked off "Josie", which turned out to be quite the crowd pleaser. Switching to acoustic, "Minute by Minute" and "Smiles and Smiles To Go" were next. The band then left the stage, leaving Larry alone onstage with his acoustic. He said he wasn't too sure what he was going to play, but was going to see what came out. After noodling for a moment, he played a bar of "Chestnuts Roasting" and laughed, saying even though we're nowhere near Christmas, when you're playing jazz, you gotta play what comes out. He finished Chestnuts Roasting in chord/melody style a la Joe Pass. Switching back to electric, Larry and the band finished the show with tunes featuring each of the band members, one of whom was his son, Travis, on bass. The kid (he's 22) can seriously play.

What a show! Larry himself was loose and very entertaining, telling stories about a recent show he played to a particularly stoic audience. He appreciated the very enthusiastic Charlotte audience - so did I; I had been up since 3am and needed a lively atmosphere to liven me up. The band was fantastic and the horn section really topped things off. Very inspiring stuff.

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a big Carlton fan too. Sounds like you caught a great show! I've seen him many times, starting back in 77 at Donte's in LA. and probably 15+ times since. The coolest was when he came to Chicago with Lee Rittenauer. I saw the show on a Sunday, then on Monday they both played at a Border's bookstore downtown to promote their CD, so I went and got my CD signed.

Paul

Originally posted by Jedro:

OK, so I'm a huge Larry Carlton fan. He played in Charlotte last night ... Very inspiring stuff.

I've got tickets to see him at The Pagaent in St. Louis on September 13th. What a great venue that is. :thu: Thanks for your report Jedro! I'm looking forward to the show even more now.

Originally posted by Steevo:

Originally posted by Jedro:

OK, so I'm a huge Larry Carlton fan. He played in Charlotte last night ... Very inspiring stuff.

I've got tickets to see him at The Pagaent in St. Louis on September 13th. What a great venue that is. :thu: Thanks for your report Jedro! I'm looking forward to the show even more now.
Larry commented on how the band had been on the road for 24 days and they were starting to really gel. If what I heard was just "starting to gel", I can't imagine what it'll be like when you catch him. They were so tight. Should be a good show in The Lou.

The thing about people like Larry Carloton is that they'll play a couple of dates here and then go to Asia for a few weeks and then come back and play some dates here. I've had a hard time tracking him down over the years.

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

I have loved LC's playing since I heard him on the Crusaders Second Crusade album, where they wouldn't put his picture on the album cover because he was white. So sweet, smooth, and tasty!

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by picker:

I have loved LC's playing since I heard him on the Crusaders Second Crusade album, where they wouldn't put his picture on the album cover because he was white. So sweet, smooth, and tasty!

When we saw him at the Border's Books store with Ritt, my brother had brought the Crusader's "Those Southern Knights" album for LC to sign. He told us that it's not his body on the cover. He was not there for that picture because he was sick, but his head was inserted at a later time. :D

http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/images/local/toenails/B939DB128BAD11D5B7D800508BA2514D.jpg

Paul

Originally posted by pauldil:

Originally posted by picker:

When we saw him at the Border's Books store with Ritt, my brother had brought the Crusader's "Those Southern Knights" album for LC to sign. He told us that it's not his body on the cover. He was not there for that picture because he was sick, but his head was inserted at a later time. :D

http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/images/local/toenails/B939DB128BAD11D5B7D800508BA2514D.jpg

Paul

I did not know that! Oops, wrong thread...

Archived