Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Noobie Question Regarding the "WAH"

PeeMonkey

OK, So I have just gotten a Multi Effects Pedal awhile ago, like a month, the Boss GT-6 and still havent came across every single thing on the pedal, then it comes down to the Wah, I have never owned a Wah pedal before and have never used one before, how does it exactly work? Ive heard that you have to constantly push the wah up and down to get the wah wah sound, but my feet gets tired, so i tried the auto wah, so do all wah pedals require moving it up and down to get the effect?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Constantly "wahhing" is one way, but even then it is generally more nuanced than you make it sound. Best to just play around with it and listen and use the way you want. It is a very personal effect. I've played with guys that used it as tone pedals leaving it one position and adjusting it to taste over parts of songs and "wahhing" as needed. Wah on down beats, wah like very slowly, wah only certain notes.

I use Moogerfooger low pass filter and Maxon AF-9 and a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe and a Vox Wah. Each is cool with it's own voice. The Mooger can be used in a more traditional wah fasion with a volume pedal.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

Auto-wah effects often can be set to have a more pronounced effect the louder the note, so when you play lightly there's barely any change but when you dig into a note it snarks...

I supoose if you don't like moving your foot around for a standard wah, you could reach down and wiggle it with your hand, but then, what are you going to be playing onthe guitar while you do that? ;)

i dont think anyone explained how one works

As you rock the pedal back and forth it can take bass off real quick and put treble on (or the other way around), that's how the wah is produced

Now, i think, with the boss pedal, you need to press the pedal down to turn on the wah. I could be thinking of the wrong processor though...

Originally posted by J J:

i dont think anyone explained how one works

As you rock the pedal back and forth it can take bass off real quick and put treble on (or the other way around), that's how the wah is produced

Now, i think, with the boss pedal, you need to press the pedal down to turn on the wah. I could be thinking of the wrong processor though...

Put simply, a wah pedal is a variable peaking filter controlled by a potentiometer whose post is spun by the mechanical movement of a pedal attached to the post. :D

Ok... maybe that wasn't the layman's description. ;)

Yes, a wah pedal does require input via your foot on a pedal. When multi-effect units became popular, someone figured out they could use the level of a note to trigger the wah rather than use a pedal. While this is convenient, it limits some uses of wah pedals. First, once set, the auto wah is difficult to vary in its control, whereas the pedal can be introduced fast or slow or can be set to alter the timbre without the wah effect simply by leaving the pedal somewhere midway in its travel. This is something unavailable to auto-wah users.

Plus, as others have suggested, you don't a lot of wah sometimes, and a ton of it other times. Getting an autowah to perform in sync with your desire is tricky for anything other than the pedestrian wah on every note.

I'm not telling you to forget using an autowah, but you should at least know what it is you're buying. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by bluestrat:

The technical term for a wah is "variable notch filter". ;)

My Dunlop "Cry-Baby" wept for hours over that clinical, sterile definition of a great, expressive pedal genere :D
Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Archived