Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NAMM update...Cheesy Peavy

Guitar Geezer

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worked for those guys for more than 3 years as the "Quality in Process" engineer at the guitar factory in Leakesville. I got in trouble from the plant manager, for rejecting a "reactor"(tele copy) body that had been repainted 12 times!!(I counted the layers of different colored paint)...and that was a body that came down from Meridian....so the guys in charge of the Meridian plant wouldn't have to reject it.

Maybe this new finish is their answer to "paint problems".....

Originally posted by dave251:

I worked for those guys for more than 3 years as the "Quality in Process" engineer at the guitar factory in Leakesville. I got in trouble from the plant manager, for rejecting a "reactor"(tele copy) body that had been repainted 12 times!!(I counted the layers of different colored paint)...and that was a body that came down from Meridian....so the guys in charge of the Meridian plant wouldn't have to reject it.

I didn't know you worked for Hartley

:eek:

Any "Horror" stories about Peavy stuff we need to know about? ;);)

Lynn G

Originally posted by guitar geezer:

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM04/Content/Peavey/PR/Generation-USA-Custom-sm.jpg

The link at HC

MOTS (Mother of Toilet Seat) Finish

I LOVE IT...Hey Tedster......... :D

This is the first guitar from Peavey I could actually see myself owning. Slick! :thu:

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Too bad it's a Peavey...

In spite of a few of their better products, I must confess to being a bit prejudiced against Peavey. Dave's story is one of many.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by dave251:

What about the wolfgang dave?
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

"What about the wolfgang dave?"

You mean that guitar those douchebags ripped-off from Earnie Ball/Music Man?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

"What about the wolfgang dave?"

You mean that guitar those douchebags ripped-off from Earnie Ball/Music Man?
To be fair to Peavey, the story I read (interview w/ EVH) said that EVH had to start from scratch because Music Man and DiMarzio had patented his (EVH's) pickups and guitar. Ed also said that Music Man couldn't or wouldn't produce enough guitars to meet the demand, and also that they were way overpriced. According to Ed, Peavey could meet demand and do it at a lower price. Supposedly, the pickups are all new.

So, if anyone is to blame, it would be EVH for taking a design from Music Man and putting it in Peavey's hands.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

well after seeing a few EBMM models and trying them i would never say they were overpriced. Ed should have understood that at the peak of his popularity a signature guitar would have been in high demand and hard to keep up with orders. when the peavey model came out there was less demand. just my opinion.

Well, IMHO, regardless of EVH's situation, it seems to me that Peavy has always been a company to rip-off other products and make a cheaper version. I've never cared for any other their products that I've tried out, but you never know what might creep up on you one day. :freak:
"I look for whatever will cut the deepest... whammy bars and wah wah pedals can't be used as just gimmicks. They have to reflect and express your feelings." - Jeff Beck

Welcome, Paul Sun...or...uh...Axeholder...!

You guys know me...I'm a retro cheese buff. Looks pretty cool!

I've been digging those guitars...I think "Italia" is the brand name. Also the Deusenbergs (sp?). I've stumbled across a few manufacturers who are catering to the "Eko" and "Hagstrom" type cheese... :thu:

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Axeholder:

Thanks Tedster(the friend upstairs)!

I'm a new one here

and I'm still a English Learner.

Can I get help from you if I get any questions?

Thanks!

:wave: Welcome

all questions are ALWAYS welcome ;)

BTW Tedster (I knew you'd like that one BTW)

Did you hear that HAGSTROM is Back!

They introduced them this week at NAMM.

Perhaps some of the guys that were there can give us an update. :thu:

Lynn G

Originally posted by guitar geezer:

Not yet :confused:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Hagstrom unveiling at NAMM got lawsuit central (aka Gibson) riled up.

The Swede & Super Swede models look MUCH more like a Les Paul than the PRS Single Cut does. Can't see how Henry J. at Gibson will put up with that.

I will be VERY excited if Hagstrom is actually able to get up and running again.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

I happen to love Peavey. I know I could convince any non believers in 15 minutes that they rock. I play a Peavey guitar that is about 10 years old. It is called a Generation series. Extremely unique and high quality. It also has a beautiful mohogany body with an arched top with a killer finish. For tonality it is like a Les Paul meets a tele. Very versatile and 1 of a kind. My amp is a Classic 50 watt head through the tweed 4 12 cabinet. My tone will rival any Marshall. So many people go on hype. I saw this guy who is in a band around me and he was using a Classic and his tone sounded like EVH fair warning. Best sounding tone I have heard live. I had to try one out after that. Combined with the great price tag it is hard to beat.

http://flagshipmile.dmusic.com/

All I know is;

• 3 P-90 style p'ups
  • That FINISH
  • Wolfgang body

I'm there! :thu:

I think there are certainly arguements for and against Peavey, but I know they've built some solid equipment for over 30 years that put good quality instruments into the hands of those who couldn't afford Fender or Gibson. In fact, they are a big reason Fender and Gibson (the latter through Epi) had to compete with quality products in the $100 - $500 range.

Their amps, while far from the best around, also gave a lot of bang for the buck. More recent offerings have exceeded expectations of many familiar with the company's history.

And how many bands, small sound companies, etc. have relied on the original, boat anchor CS800 power amps for solid, reliable power at a far lower price point than other companies. (Up until amps started divebombing in price:power 8 - 10 years ago.)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Have used many Peavey amps in my time including guitar and bass, also Peavey PAs. I am currently a Fender amp man, but those old Peaveys certainly served their purpose. :thu:

And the Peavey Musician stack that I sold to a friend in the mid 70s, he still uses ( though he doesn't play in a band).

I guess living in Mississippi/ Memphis area we always had access to alot of Peaveys.

...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

Forgot to add that I've owned three American made Predator guitars ( Strat copies) and they certainly did the job! :thu:

As for the view that Peavey copied Fender and/or Gibson, everybody did once- Ibanez, ESP, Tokai, Aria Pro II, Fernandes, Tom Anderson, Schecter, etc, etc.

...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

Keep in mind that my Peavey Generation series guitar was by no means cheap. It was about $8 or 900 when I bought it and it is worth every penny. I could have bought a Fender or a Gibson but this guitar is more unique in sound and playability. It is an amazing instrument. I even wrote to Peavey complimenting them.

Archived