Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone need to be humbled?

DIAMOND DUST

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why, I'm beyond humbling; I'm too good to need humbling. I'm entirely wonderful and mind-blowingly incredible in every conceivable way, and even in a few inconceivable ways, to boot. Why, I'm so-

Sorry about that; being an ingenius rock and guitar mastermind gets me a little carried awy now and then!

I'm not home at the moment; I'll have to scope out this humbling experience when I get back!

See ya on the other side of humility, D.D. and Stephen L'Blanc!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

I'm entirely wonderful and mind-blowingly incredible in every conceivable way, and even in a few inconceivable ways, to boot.

Inigo: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

:D

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

"Inconceivable!" :D

"Stop all this rhyming- I mean it!"

"Anybody wanna peanut?" :D

man we've really been hitting up all the best movies lately haven't we?
Then you'll never hear surf music again...

Originally posted by pauldil:

That was great, DIAMOND DUST! Who is this guy?

Thanks for the link!

Paul

Isn't that some clean pickin'. :cool: It's JERRY DONAHUE from the Hellcasters. I love those pedal steel bends he does. I met and played a tune with Albert Lee, and this guy really reminds me of him. Just leaves you with your jaw on the floor.

Originally posted by DIAMOND DUST:

Originally posted by pauldil:

That was great, DIAMOND DUST! Who is this guy?

Thanks for the link!

Paul

Isn't that some clean pickin'. :cool: It's JERRY DONAHUE from the Hellcasters. I love those pedal steel bends he does. I met and played a tune with Albert Lee, and this guy really reminds me of him. Just leaves you with your jaw on the floor.
My computer(work) has a problem with RealMedia too. I'll try it at home.

Very coooool to meet and play with Albert Lee. :cool:

That must have been a trip. Love how some guys can work the neck like that.

Finally got to view and listen to the clip; cool! Very nice playing; in some ways, what I aspire to be able to do eventually. Makes me feel like I'm on the right track!

Also makes me want a Tele-stylee all the more!

Teahead's gotta see this...

Originally posted by DIAMOND DUST:

Originally posted by Stephen LeBlanc:

well my computer doesn't do RealMedia files (and probably never will) but I get humbled often enough anyway

:) Me too Stephen. :(
same here...
- due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been SWITCHED OFF

I hear ya, Tedster!

While Johnny Hiland "peels paint", J.D. paints a picture when he plays. No more- or less- impressive as a player, just a bit less "shred" and a li'l mo' "lyric" in his playing. More bending, sliding, bell-rigin' harmonics, arpeggiated wing-dingery and chordal/double-stop stuff, etc. Like a cross between a great entertaining pianist and a pedal-steeler.

Pedal-steeler? "Yo, maaan, getcha han'soffamah Bi' Muff Pah!!" :D

Excellent link, thanks! The song he was playing is called "The Claw", which I had learned a slightly different version of several years ago. I wonder what gauge strings he was using! They had to be at least 9's if not lighter. The bends he was making seemed too easy to do with anything heavier.

Well that was very nice! :thu:

Of the hundreds of things happening I was able to hear gonzo double-stops, open string chromatics during fretted runs, a bit of la chic du peck, behind the nut twangin, a couple of palm mutes to get some thump on the bass...

the best part - after all that - is having shown the video-operator the culmination of a lifetime of work he gives a little smile like 'That's how everything coms together for me today' ! Very Cool :cool:

I'll bet it was mid morning too, hehe...

On a JD video I have I seem to remember he strings with 9's so he can do the behind the nit thing on his tele - try it with 10's , hehe you'll hate yourself :D

What's the big deal? I play like that (right-handed, that is :P ).

Really impressive. I've heard the Hellcasters before, but I've never gotten to see the playing. What impressed me most was the smoothness in the bends - even when doing simultaneous counter-bends. Really impressive stuff. :thu:

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Great clip. I have a video where he breaks that whole thing down into sections so you can learn it. It would take me months to even get half of it down. By the way, Jerry Reed wrote that ditty, he improved on it, but Jerry's original is pretty kick ass for the times in which it was recorded.

Once I thought I saw you, in a crowded, hazy, bar........

I can't watch the video on my crappy modem network. (I would prefer to not sit here for a week.) But I've heard the Hellecasters before. They rock. And I have mucho respect for all of those guys. Jerry Donahue, Will Ray, and John Jorgensen.
Shut up and play.

Archived