Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

LOL I just noticed I'm on the Bose web site

Lee Flier

Too funny - some of you know my band has a deal with Bose where we're beta testers/demonstraters for their new Personalized Amplification System. I just noticed that if you go to http://www.bose.com/musicians and choose the section called "Your Sound," there's a little row of pictures at the top including one of me playing a red SG (not mine, although I have one just like it). This was at a jam session during our "training camp" up at Bose headquarters which was really really cool, I got to meet and play with a ton of great musicians from around the country. The guy in the far left pic is Chris Codish of the Brothers Groove, out of Detroit... this guy is a MONSTER keyboardist and the nicest guy in the world too. To the right of my pic is Theressa Anderson of New Orleans, who is playing an amplified fiddle. She does all sorts of wild stuff with the fiddle, using effects on it that are usually reserved for us electric guitarists. :D Really unique and amazing.

Unfortunately I can't remember the upright bassist's name who is pictured to my left, but he was awesome as well.

Oh well, just thought I'd share, seeing those pics brought back a lot of great memories!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by pauldil:

That's great, Lee! Nice pic! Can you comment on the BOSE systems you've beta tested?

Paul

I've heard What-The? perform with it and was very impressed. Of course, like any sound reinforcement system, the room you're playing in has a big affect on performance.

I know one issue is you need to have some space (at least five feet I think) available behind each performer for the new Bose systme to work correctly. On some small stages this isn't possible.

Anyway, I REALLY like the concept and think the Bose personal system can sound great.

Now, if they only weren't priced like a Bose.... :rolleyes:

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

http://www.bose.com/images/musicians/main_your_sound_s.jpg

"Well, this one time, at Band Camp... "

:D;):freak::D;)

What doesn't kill you, makes you funnier.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by pauldil:

That's great, Lee! Nice pic! Can you comment on the BOSE systems you've beta tested?

Well, we've had them since last September and have become ridiculously spoiled by them. We hate playing through a conventional PA now. :D

As you can see if you peruse the web site, this system is a pretty radically different approach to amplification than what we're all used to. There are no separate mains and monitors - the systems are placed behind you and the band and the audience hear the same mix. Because of the unique sound dispersion properties, you can hear yourself and your bandmates perfectly, and the audience hears the same thing - the frequency response doesn't change at all as you move throughout the room and the volume drops off very little as you move out (which means you don't have to be as loud in front to cover the whole house). It's pretty crazy. You'll note that the speaker column is shaped like a flagpole, and the whole thing is really easy to carry around.

Ideally, each musician has his/her own system. It's kinda like a cross between a PA and an amp. That is, you can plug your instrument into it and also your vocal, and if everybody in your band does the same thing, there's an awesome "surround sound" type of effect with each vocal and instrument coming from its own system. We LOVE the way our harmony vocals sound with our 3 piece band using 3 systems, it's amazing. And you can hear what you're doing sooo much better than when everyone's vocal and/or instrument is coming at you out of a single monitor.

For guitarists, there are a lot of different ways you can use the system. It's incredible as an acoustic guitar "amp," you can just plug an acoustic straight in if you have a pickup, or use your favorite preamp. Acoustic players usually say "It sounds like my guitar, only louder." :D You can also plug an electric straight in if you like to play clean. Electric guitarists who like modeling devices like the POD, Vox Tone Lab, etc. will really appreciate these things - they're a lot easier to lug around than a guitar amp and you can hear what you're doing perfectly.

For me personally, I'm a tube amp snob, and there's no way I was going to give up my amps for a modeler. But we all do have to admit that guitar amps are a problem acoustically, because they're so directional, so although you might be getting a great tone out of the amp, neither you nor most of the audience is likely to hear it the way you want it to be heard in a small venue. Everyone will hear it either off axis, or if the beam of the speaker is right in their face, it'll be way too loud. The Bose system totally solves that problem, but I had to figure out a way to tame the amp. Ideally I'll probably eventually get a small low wattage tube amp - I'm gonna try the new Reverend Goblin when it's available. But meanwhile I'm still using my vintage Fender and Ampeg combos, and attenuating them with a Dr. Z Air Brake , then miking them through the Bose. It sounds awesome! And it's really great to be able to hear myself without screwing up my hearing, or my bandmates'. :D Or the audience's.

They are pretty pricey unfortunately (although I guess a lot of people WILL drop $2K on an amp). But since we got ours for free that wasn't a problem! LOL...

Well you CAN put the amp offstage, or face it sideways. But then you can't get at the controls easily. As long as the amp is small enough or you attenuate it enough that isn't any louder than the drum kit, then it works. The object is to get most of the sound coming from the Bose rather than the amp, and I can do that with the amp still in its normal position.

And yeah, it really does help end volume wars! Especially when you get your head around the fact that the audience is hearing the same thing you're hearing - that makes everybody try harder to balance their own levels with their bandmates, and since you can hear yourself so well you no longer have a reason to keep turning up.

This Bose system does sound very interesting. Maybe its the future of live sound, who knows! Its about time the PA world caught up with modern technology, not that there haven't been advances made. To the future! :thu::cool:
...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

Hey Gibson or Fender! I'll be more than happy to test new guitars, amps, and PAs for you! I will generously DONATE my time and services for your products! Just PM me right here. Right now.

sigh. :cry:

...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

Hey Lee, about 2 months ago I got a postcard in the mail from Bose. They were bragging about the PAS, and along the side they have a a bunch of quotes from their users. You were one of them! I know I have it somewhere...

Ah c'mon guys. Somebody needs to test market those new Pauls, Teles, and Strats. I'll volunteer my time and services and even play 'em down on world famous Beale Street in Memphis!

Guys? Fender? Gibson? Uh, Johnson, Lotus? :freak:

Originally posted by tiger85:

Ah c'mon guys. Somebody needs to test market those new Pauls, Teles, and Strats. I'll volunteer my time and services and even play 'em down on world famous Beale Street in Memphis!

Guys? Fender? Gibson? Uh, Johnson, Lotus? :freak:

Tiger, the makers of the guitar/bass below contacted me by mistake. I told them to send the guitars to you to test market on Beale Street :D It's pretty sweet too because you don't need an amp :) You just hook those killer headphones up and shred away :thu: .....Oh sorry, those aren't headphones, it's a microphone! How cool is that?? Built-in microphone AND amp :cool: Lucky you, Tiger! You will be the envy of Beale Street with this set-up! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_6_217.gif

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000219X6E.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

LOL well it's not like it makes me famous or anything! :D Actually if you look in the "Live Performances" section we've been up there for like, almost a year. :bor::bor::D

I just thought it was funny that I visit the site pretty frequently and never noticed it - plus it brought back lotsa memories of "band camp." (that really is what they called it! LOL)

Cosmos, your generosity is moving. I'm sure that Beale Street will never be the same again.

Cosmos, your generosity is moving. I'm sure that

Beale Street will never be the same again.

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

Originally posted by NMcGuitar:

Congrats on the pic, Lee.

:thu:

from me too :thu:

Can I have your autograph? :cool:

When are you guys playing Leno?

Originally posted by tiger85:

Cosmos, your generosity is moving. I'm sure that Beale Street will never be the same again.

Cosmos, your generosity is moving. I'm sure that

Beale Street will never be the same again.

You're welcome. You're welcome. Is there an echo in here? Is there an echo in here? :confused::D

I must admit, that is purty cool, Lee. :cool:

Bragging rights indeed! :thu:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Archived