Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

recommend me a good 2x12 cab

flippymagoo

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome aboard! :wave:

I don't actually have any recommendations to make, but if you tell us more about what you play, what sound you are looking for, and what you are using now (gear-wise), I know you'll get some helpful answers.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Thanks! Looks like a nice forum here!

Right now I have a Randall RH100G2 amp head. I play a lot of classic rock, hard rock and metal. My current cab is an old 10" speaker in a box basically. So I'm looking for a 2x12 that will open up the tone more. A brighter sounding speaker would be nice and a good quality constructed cab is a must!

I was checking out the new Patriot/Red Coat Eminence line, but I guess they're too new because no cabs load them.

What's your budget? Orange, Zinky, and Boogie all make some killer 2X12s, if you got the dough. And let's not forget Fender; you can pick up old Fender 2X12s sometimes...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Avatar Speakers builds great cabs. The link goes to their standard production run cab. They will also build the cab to your specs.

Check em out. I have a pair of their PA cabinets from before they decided to concentrate on guitar and bass cabinets.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

A few years back, I borrowed an Ampeg 2x12 cab (closed back) of early '90s manufacture to test out a Soldano SLO-60 head that I should have bought. Great cab, and I usually prefer open-back designs.

You might run across a used or even "New/Old Stock" one that never got sold; if you find a good deal on one, they're great little 2x12 cabs. I wouldn't hesitate an instant if I was shopping for one.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

The weird problem I'm having is most everything is 8 Ohms stereo input on cabs nowadays. At least the stuff I've run across. My head handles 4 and 8 Ohms mono. And when I do find a cab I think I might like I realize, I hate the speakers. lol I just can't win!

I saw the Orange cabs with the V30's, they look really tough but they're 16 Ohms. :( That was one I was gonna buy too!

My budget is around $600.

The Avatar cabs look interesting. How's the build quality and sound? Anybody got pictures of their Avatar cab at home so I can see them in a "natural environment" -- in the wild so to speak? lol

Originally posted by flippymagoo:

The Avatar cabs look interesting. How's the build quality and sound? Anybody got pictures of their Avatar cab at home so I can see them in a "natural environment" -- in the wild so to speak? lol

The build quality is as good as it gets.

I don't have the guitar cabs because I play little electric guitar and normally use a Fender Hot Rod deVille when I do. I do have a pair of PA loudspeakers from the time they were building them. They happen to be a bit on the ugly side but are as stout as can be. I've had them for over two years so far. Granted, they don't get used all that much because most places I play don't need the 15"ers so I use my Carvin 12"ers more.

I'll be happy to post a couple of pics of my PA loudspeakers if you want to see what they look like after a couple of years.

If you get on their site and look at the custom models, you'll get an idea of what they can do. Then, get on the phone, dial (208)762-5251 & tell them what you are trying to accomplish with your sound. They will talk to you and it's usually Dave, the owner, that will talk to you. You'll be able to get it wired how ever you want it wired, as long as your wiring scheme won't cause problems. I think you can have a cabinet built that will go either open or closed back too. Seems like a month or so ago they had some on special.

I like the fact that they are made of void free poplar plywood. That makes them lighter and stronger than the cabs that are made with particle board or the stranded stuff. I personally think the poplar sounds better than particle board too.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Maybe that Orange 2x12 cab could work for you, after all...

Don't forget, two speakers can always be wired to change their total combined impedance.

If a 2x12 is rated at 16-ohms, it has two 8-ohm speakers wired in series for a total combined impedance of 16-ohms. Wire them in parallel instead, and the impedance will be 4-ohms.

If a 2x12 is rated for 8-ohm stereo operation, it must have a pair of 8-ohm speakers in there wired up separately for stereo and dual-mono operation. Again, wired together in parallel, the impedance would be 4-ohms.

If you come across a 2x12 cab with two 16-ohm speakers, guess what? Wired together in series, you'd get a total combined impedance of 8-ohms.

Maybe that Orange 2x12 cab could work for you, after all...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hey, rewiring is something I hadn't considered. Thanks for that!

I did find some pics of the Avatar cabs "in the wild" with a couple of heads on them. They look pretty sturdy. I much prefer the big "picture frame" type faces but for the price I'd be willing to sacrifice on that aspect.

You've given me a lot to consider now! Thanks guys! Maybe more goodies will come out during NAMM. :)

Originally posted by daklander:

Avatar Speakers builds great cabs. The link goes to their standard production run cab. They will also build the cab to your specs.

Check em out. I have a pair of their PA cabinets from before they decided to concentrate on guitar and bass cabinets.

DAYYUMMMM... $278 US? That looks great! :thu: Even if I paid the $299 for the one with the Celestion 80's, that's still worth the money. :)

Would be a great match for using a Marshall MG100DFX combo or head live, on the road, as well as recording. Plus, not too big either!

Hey, welcome to the site!

I have two 2x12 cabs, and each one is great.

The one is a Zinky. They're available on Bruce Zinky's wesite and a variety of dealers. It's a closed-back cab, and I got rid of my old 4x12 because the Zinky sounds so good and is so much more portable.

The other cab is made by Trutone. Rob advertises in Vintage Guitar Monthly. Check out his website (also check out the reviews on both these cabs on Harmony Central's site-I have reviews for both on there). He is a super nice guy and will build it pretty much however you want. The cabs are made from pine, which is much better sounding than any Baltic Birch ply cab I've ever owned or played, and I got Weber Blue Dog speakers in mine (you have a choice of speakers and ohmages).

Hope this helped, and hope you stick around here!

Archived