Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Benedetto/Luthiery Discussion

Funk Jazz

i just bought Robert Bendetto's book on how to build archtop guitars. man, what a great read. i highly recommend it for anyone interested in how guitars are built.

any good recommends for luthier-related reading? i'm getting into this stuff lately.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Give us some highlights, FJ! I'm not suggesting you plaigerize and post text from the book, rather I'm asking for subjects and topics that stand out and are well covered. Waddya like about it?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

what stood out was how old-world his approach to bulding is. he's very closely linked to the italian violin building tradition, and he's all about craftsmanship. in fact, stephane grapelli plays a benedetto violin!

he goes into choosing woods, and surprisingly insists that the wood isn't everything... that great guitars can be made of inferior wood selections. that was a shock.

and most of all, he's trully trying to enable laymen to be able to build quality guitars on their own.

I'm not surprised, his guitars are built most excellently. Even though I'm not strictly a jazz player, if I got one of his guitars I'd sure do some jazz gigs just so I can play it!! :love:
"I look for whatever will cut the deepest... whammy bars and wah wah pedals can't be used as just gimmicks. They have to reflect and express your feelings." - Jeff Beck

Archived