Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I feel stupid (what else is new)...Trem question

zeronyne

OK folks, time to light up your flamethrowers. I have probably the dumbest question a guitar player will ever be asked, and yet, I can't figure out the answer.

Background: I have a Fly Deluxe where I block the trem (with the little thumbdial), and I have a Charvel with a Floyd Rose...but this isn't really about my guitars.

The neighbor kid has taken up guitar, and he knows exactly one riff (Enter Sandman) that he plays outdoors at any opportunity. He doesn't tune up first, nor does he use any normal type of setting on his little practice amp, so it drives me crazy.

So one day I was out there, and when he started to play, I grabbed the guitar from him and tuned it up. He was appreciative, but a bit oblivious.

But as I was doing that, I noticed that at concert pitch, the trem was pulled up away from the body, as if someone was doing a slight divebomb.

Now, I know the reason WHY this is happening, and I recall that I had the same problem with my Charvel a while back and I fixed it. But I'll be damned if I can remember HOW I did it. I know I didn't add springs to the cavity or anything like that.

Can anyone shed some light? Flame me if you like, but I'm a keyboard player, so I don't get any respect anyway. :D

Thanks

EDIT: It was a Yamaha Strat clone from Costco...a GAX I think or a GX

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Increase the spring tension by tightening the springs on the back of the guitar (under the cover plate). It would also be a good idea to loosen all the strings a bit before doing this.

Hopefully this helps!

(BTW I started off my musical path on piano, I hated it at the time but it has served me damn well on the guitar)

www.windhamhill.com - Shameless Advertising!

Yeah, what Spiral said - increase the spring tension. It's a major PIA to calibrate. :evil:

Originally posted by zeronyne:

I have probably the dumbest question a guitar player will ever be asked...

There are no dumb questions, only flip answers.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

The neighbor kid has taken up guitar, and he knows exactly one riff (Enter Sandman) that he plays outdoors at any opportunity. He doesn't tune up first, nor does he use any normal type of setting on his little practice amp, so...

Send him to Guitar Center on a Saturday morning, he'll fit right in. :D

Yep, draw in the claw, and as stated, loosen the strings first.

It involves a lot of trial and error until you get the bridge level with the strings at pitch. A MAJOR PIA. At least if you want it to "float" it is.

Does anyone know of a better way?

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Originally posted by Dennyf:

Yep, draw in the claw, and as stated, loosen the strings first.

It involves a lot of trial and error until you get the bridge level with the strings at pitch. A MAJOR PIA. At least if you want it to "float" it is.

Does anyone know of a better way?

Luckily, the trem in question doesn't float, so I'm going to crank the hell out of the screws untill it's nearly blocked. The kid can't even tune yet, so I don't think it'll be a problem.

"For instance" is not proof.

I've always wondered what that little wheel

was for on a parker guitar.There is nothing

you people don't know. http://www.smileytown.com/content/emot/exct0006.gif

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Archived