Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sonar to CD - what's your method?

Any ideas on the best way to work. Finish tracks then bounce to stereo track and then do mastering processing to that track and export to .wav? How do most people lay out the projects (songs) prior to burning the CD? If each project is exported to a .wav file, do you then import them all to one stereo track for song sequence, mastering etc? What about spacing between songs? Just curious, medford

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's how I do it. This is not necessarily the most efficient way, but the results sound good, and it works for me. 1. Set the SONAR tracks to various output buses. I have two ADAT light pipe connections, so I can assign the tracks to 8 stereo pairs, 16 mono, or a combination of stereo and mono buses. 2. These then go into my Panasonic DA7 mixing console. There I use the EQ, sometimes the dynamics, reverb in the aux bus, etc. This frees up CPU power in SONAR for running other, more esoteric plug-ins. It's also nice to make adjustments by touching real faders. 3. The DA7 out goes back into SONAR, and records into an empty track while the song plays back. 4. Now I have a stereo track containing the final mix in SONAR. I export this to WAV. 5. I then call up Wavelab and do my mastering there. I could try mastering in SONAR, but I've been using Wavelab for mastering forever, and it's a comfortable environment. It also has some proprietary plug-ins I like to use that won't work in other programs, including SONAR. 6. Save the mastered file. 7. Call up Sound Forge, load CD Architect, and burn the CD. I know you can burn CDs directly from Wavelab, but again, I'm real familiar with CD Architect and simply haven't taken the hour or two necessary to become famliar with Wavelab's CD-burning capabilities. Hmmm, maybe I should do that soon. Hope this helps.........

Archived