Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HEADS UP- EBAY EMAIL HOAX!

BiC

This came down through official Air Force channels where I work:

Situation Description: Recently, an email has been sent that falsely identifies the sender as Ebay Account Support -- stating that they had reason to believe a third party accessed your Ebay account without authorization. The e-mail goes on to request personal information be provided in an offline verification system. We have been notified by USAFE Information Assurance that this e-mail is a HOAX and to notify your personnel not to provide any information without verification from the company.

Network Services Affected: All

Action: Please notify your users of the hoax. Also, many web businesses are targets for this kind of data collection hoax, and will post information on their web site to help the customer determine if the e-mail they've received is valid or not.

BEWARE!

Peace :)

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

YES!

My wife fell for this one :(

Thank God no bad results yet :cool:

Dave

WHOA! I hope all goes well.

As a general reminder folks, never ever give out personal info without first verifying with the company in question.

For example, if your "utility company" should happen to call asking to update your account with payment info, don't provide anything. But rather hang up the phone, then call the company yourself to verify if they indeed need to update your info.

Never verify with the person who originally called, because they very well may have dug through your trash or obtained your info. elsewhere.

You can apply this same priciple to email with all creditors, or folks you do business with.

Also, common sense dictates, a reputable business will never email you asking for personal info.

In all circumstances, always verify by calling the official telephone# on your statements before releasing any personal info.

Peace

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

I just got this one:

Dear eBay customer,

Due to our new services you have to pay for your eBay fees. You can pay with your credit/debit card. We will ask for your credit/debit card only once. We will charge your account once per month. However you will receive a confirmation request in about 24 hours after the credit/debit card is authorized.You have 24 hours from the time you'll receive this e-mail to complete this eBay Request.

To make the funds payable to us please use this link: *snip*

eBay will request personal data (password, credit card/bank numbers, and so on) in this email.

Thank you for using eBay!

http://www.ebay.com/

One of the better looking ones I have ever seen. But A - I don't use the American branch of ebay and B - They've copied this to 9 different yahoo addresses and let us all see one another :mad:
Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Yeah, this is brutal. It's called "phishing". These scammers create a shadow site that looks just like whatever corporate site (bank, credit card company, etc.) and ask you to "verify" your info.

I've gotten the e-bay one, and also local banks and credit card companies.

The same rules apply as to telemarketers. No matter how convincing someone seems, divulge no information unless YOU initiated the contact and know to whom you are speaking.

You can avoid being scammed by checking your browser's status bar (bottom of window) and see if you are on a secure site. There will be a little padlock icon that shows "locked" if you are at a secure site. Secure sites also typically begin with "https", rather than plain http. NO LEGITIMATE FINANCIAL INSTITUTION WILL ASK FOR PERSONAL INFORMATION ON A NON-SECURE PAGE.

Since spam has a miserable success rate, the scammers are trying this. They are messing with serious crime here, and the big boys like Citibank, and Chase Manhattan that are being mimicked WILL crush these guys like the vermin that they are. Some tech jounalists think this could signal the beginning of the end of spam. HERE'S HOPING :thu:

Don't worry, I have the double advantage of working in IT support so I see these things often and being a mistrusting git :D

This is just the most convincing one I have seen to date...

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Originally posted by Base:

I just got this one:

Dear eBay customer,

Due to our new services you have to pay for your eBay fees. You can pay with your credit/debit card. We will ask for your credit/debit card only once. We will charge your account once per month. However you will receive a confirmation request in about 24 hours after the credit/debit card is authorized.You have 24 hours from the time you'll receive this e-mail to complete this eBay Request.

To make the funds payable to us please use this link: *snip*

eBay will request personal data (password, credit card/bank numbers, and so on) in this email.

Thank you for using eBay!

http://www.ebay.com/

One of the better looking ones I have ever seen. But A - I don't use the American branch of ebay and B - They've copied this to 9 different yahoo addresses and let us all see one another :mad:
I'm curious... what's the link that you "snipped" out???

I was the recipient of one of these emails almost two years ago and immediately smelled a hoax. Ebay & Paypal stated quite clearly that they would never, under any circumstances, ask for my password or any personal information.

Being the geek I am, I checked the header information and traced back the path of delivery to an obviously un-Ebay point of departure.

I never heard anything much about this until at least a year later when they likely perfected their wording and mirrored web structure. This next wave of mailing had people panicking and it was all over the nightly news.

Sure hope everything goes well for anyone caught in this mess.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

About a year ago, my Wife & I were a victim of credit/debit card theft.

One day, there were charges showing up in our checking account for Mervyn's, Sears, and Target- about $3,000. Both Target & Mervyn's are partners with amazon.com. My best guess is that this is where our info. was hacked since we did a lot of shopping on amazon.

Well, at the same time I reported this to my bank, they were already "on top of it" because they had noticed charges that were away from our normal buying habits. They must have software that raise "red flags" for this sort of thing. Maybe it showed a purchase physically made at Sears, and knew we lived overseas? I don't know, but they caught it! Since I reported this within 24 hours, I didn't have to pay a penny for it.

We ended up cancelling our debit card, and getting a new one. Measures we now take to prevent our checking account from ever being invaded again-

Any online shopping is done strictly with our credit card. When possible, we phone in our order to prevent from inputting our # over the net. It may very well SAY it's secure, but that's NOT 100% certain!

Peace :)

Archived