Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mike Stern fans please advise me

alanfc

I am looking to get a couple Mike Stern CD's. I vaguely know his work and like what I've heard.

I found a thread here about Mike Stern recordings but it became a gear discussion, which was interesting, ;

So for classic Mike Stern, what are the first two CD's I should get? Anything, any era, as solo project or sideman I'd be interested in.

thanks

Rivera + Fender Strat

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I recommend Between the Lines and Play. Those are my two favorites. I don't have all of his stuff, but out of the 5 or six that I do have, those two stand out. I like both the playing and the writing.
Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

Thanks, this is alot to work with !

I went on to Amazon last night and heard alot of clips, and I heard a few records with sax and easy listening type stuff. This is not my interest now. Indeed I want to hear =chops=. I think I must have come across records that had alot of other guests. So on to the record store I go.

Thanks again

Rivera + Fender Strat

The Amazon clips rarely include excerpts from solo improvs... you would think they would figure out that with jazz artists this is what will be most interesting to potential customers, but no-o-o-o-o-o-o

There's a live Miles Davis set from the early eighties with Stern, called We Want Miles, it's got some great stuff on it too...

Archived