Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

does this exist....?

EmptinesOf Youth

i was curios as to if there was a device that took three (or more) instrument cable inputs and turned it into one output...this was three guitars could potentially be plugged into one stack but you wouldnt have to unplug on to switch...kind like this...

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v350/DrossZro1979/switch.gif

there probably is but if not im copyrighting it now!! :D

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by skipclone 1:

I`m interested in exactly the opposite-I have a stereo amp and want to use both inputs. Are those the same thing-A/B boxes?

No, well...maybe. Do you want to split the signal coming out of your guitar or your head/preamp?

"For instance" is not proof.

There are boxes for just about any permutation of selections. Loopmaster has an excellent reputation.

No nonsense custom made boxes and very reasonably priced too. I've mailed him a couple of times and he's always quick to respond and great to deal with. You should drop him a mail.

Tea.

Originally posted by EoY:

i was curios as to if there was a device that took three (or more) instrument cable inputs and turned it into one output...this was three guitars could potentially be plugged into one stack but you wouldnt have to unplug on to switch...kind like this...

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v350/DrossZro1979/switch.gif

there probably is but if not im copyrighting it now!! :D

Actually, I have FOUR guitars plugged into ONE amp and going out to the PA on one channel. This is what I use to do it. (Rolls MX 41 4 channel passive mixer)

http://www.music123.com/Rolls-MX41-4-Channel-Passive--Mixer-i11836.music

It just sits under my amp and the knobs are always set to the level I need for each guitar. I simply use the guitars onboard volume control to adjust the volume of each indivudial instrument. What I usually do, is have all 4 of my guitars onbaord electronics set to zero, so no sound comes from the other guitars I am not playing. Then, I just pick a guitar, turn up the onboard volume and play.

When I am through, and want to pick up another guitar, I simply turn down completely the volume knob of the guitar I have been playing and select another guitar. This keeps noise to a minimum onstage. It works great. When the knobs on the Rolls are all turned counter clockwise, you can go the exact opposite and hook up four amps to a single guitar. (though WHY you would want to, is beyond me.)

Sorry if you were going to make one....looks like Rolls already beat you to it!

I`m interested in exactly the opposite-I have a stereo amp and want to use both inputs.

The simplest way is to use a wye cable. But tell me, to what advantage?

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

http://www.dod.com/accessories/images/240.jpg

The DOD AC240 is a passive, four to one resistance mixer. Each of the four 1/4" unbalanced inputs have individual level controls, which feed one unbalanced 1/4" output. The AC240 can also be run in reverse to provide a one in, to four out splitter. This is all housed in a rugged alloy cast chassis.

thanks for all the input...do you think these would effect sound quality at all?

thanks again

Yes. Anything like that between the guitar and the amp will degrade the sound somewhat. Figure that each of those level knobs work just like adding a second volume knob on your guitar. It will weaken the signal and kill a little high end.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

thanks for all the input...do you think these would effect sound quality at all?

thanks again

For what you want to do, use a wye cable. No electronics. If you are going into a stereo amp, it will make no difference.

I asked before though, what are you trying to achieve? You'll get better answers when everyone understands what you are going for.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by bpark@prorec.com:

I`m interested in exactly the opposite-I have a stereo amp and want to use both inputs.

Bill

each speaker has its own input.

I posted a dumb question-stereo outs from my box, stereo ins on the amp, problem solved. So I guess I`m thinking about something I can use without going through a big effects unit.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

You can use 'em both ways. I used to have something like that...I think it was made by Electro-Harmonix (we're going back years to its original incarnation). I used it to go back and forth between two amps, clean and dirty (back in the days before channel switching amps...back when the horse would pull up to the front and the guy with the white hat would deliver the milk bottles to the milk box on the front porch). ;)
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by A String:

http://www.dod.com/accessories/images/240.jpg

The DOD AC240 is a passive, four to one resistance mixer. Each of the four 1/4" unbalanced inputs have individual level controls, which feed one unbalanced 1/4" output. The AC240 can also be run in reverse to provide a one in, to four out splitter. This is all housed in a rugged alloy cast chassis.

Basically,that is the same kind of mixer like I have, only, I have a Rolls brand.

Bill

I posted a dumb question-stereo outs from my box, stereo ins on the amp, problem solved. So I guess I`m thinking about something I can use without going through a big effects unit.

I have an Ernie Ball stereo volume pedal. It's passive (no battery required) and can be a plain mono volume pedal, use two inputs, or you can take one input and the volume treadle will pan between the two outputs. I use it to pan and blend between a clean Fender Champ and a dirty Marshall Valvestate for variety tones in small gig situations. In mono mode, there's also a knob to set minimum volume, so you can set a rhythm/lead level thing, or set the backed off position to silence. There's also a toe paddle to let you choose mono/stero mode woth your foot on the fly.

Originally posted by billster:

quote:

Bill

I have an
Ernie Ball stereo volume pedal
. It's passive (no battery required) and can be a plain mono volume pedal, use two inputs, or you can take one input and the volume treadle will pan between the two outputs. I use it to pan and blend between a clean Fender Champ and a dirty Marshall Valvestate for variety tones in small gig situations. In mono mode, there's also a knob to set minimum volume, so you can set a rhythm/lead level thing, or set the backed off position to silence. There's also a toe paddle to let you choose mono/stero mode woth your foot on the fly.

that could work

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived