Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do you guys think of Larrivee acoustics??

BenderOfStrings

I'm currently in the market for a new acoustic. I've tried them all! Taylors, Martins, Ovations, Gibsons, Takamini, etc. I thought I had narrowed it down to a couple of Martins but today a dealer suggested I give a Larrivee for a spin and after playing it for about 10 minutes I was seriously impressed with the feel and tone of the guitar!

I was wondering if there were any owner/opinions of the Larrivee brand and if any of you guys might recommend something I haven't checked out yet. Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by chad:

The best. Beautifully crafted, gorgeous balanced tone, fairly priced. It dudn't get no better. Buy the Larrivee of your choice immediately.

Yeah the minute I held it in my arms and started playing it just felt...right. No other way to explain it. It had the warmest tone of anything I had tried and just the most comfortable neck. I appreciate your advice and you have helped me inch closer and closer to making my decision!

On a side note, I must say that I am extremely disappointed in Taylors. After hearing so many people rant and rave about them I decided to give them a try and to be honest, I couldn't really hear what the fuss was about. Especially for what they charge for their guitars.

I love Larrivee guitars. Don't own one yet but I've had the luxury of playing a couple of them. I will own one someday.

There is one other guitar I really fell in love with & that's the Yamaha LL500 series, no longer made but you might find one in old "new" stock or used. They were a hand made guitar running about $1000.00

I'm with you on the Taylors. I've only played one that I liked the sound of, & that belongs to Guitplayer from San Diego.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by daklander:

There is one other guitar I really fell in love with & that's the Yamaha LL500 series, no longer made but you might find one in old "new" stock or used. They were a hand made guitar running about $1000.00

Thanks for the opinion on Larrivee!

Yamaha will always hold a soft spot in my heart. My very first acoustic was an FG-400 beginner that I learned on for many years. Infact, I still own that one and will NEVER part with it for obvious sentemental reasons.

I'm with you on the Taylors. I've only played one that I liked the sound of, & that belongs to Guitplayer from San Diego.

Yeah, my Taylor is sweet! I've played some nice ones and some not so nice ones... but I lucked out with mine...

I used to have a great sounding Larrivee. It was a model L-09. It's wasn't a real "looker" but man it sounded great. I had to sell it a couple of years ago... but I always remember it fondly.

Honestly, if ANY guitar "speaks" to you... and you can afford it... buy it!

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Originally posted by guitplayer:

Yeah, my Taylor is sweet! I've played some nice ones and some not so nice ones... but I lucked out with mine...

I used to have a great sounding Larrivee. It was a model L-09. It's wasn't a real "looker" but man it sounded great. I had to sell it a couple of years ago... but I always remember it fondly.

guitplayer

Hey guitplayer, did your L-09 have the transparent pick guard or the tortoise shell style? I'm not sure if I'm crazy about the transparent one or not. It sort of gives the guitar a "classical" look to it. I picked up the Larrivee catalogue and the models with the tortoise shell style guard looked much much better to me. That along with the nice Abalone rosette made for a classy yet not too gaudy look to me.

A local dealer has them, and they are among the finest acoutic guitars I have ever played. Their dreadnaughts sound better than a lot of Martins I have heard. IF you get the chance to try a Morgan, they are great too. Morgan is a former luthier for Larrivee, and Larivee distributes his instruments.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by BenderOfStrings:

Originally posted by guitplayer:

guitplayer

Hey guitplayer, did your L-09 have the transparent pick guard or the tortoise shell style? I'm not sure if I'm crazy about the transparent one or not. It sort of gives the guitar a "classical" look to it. I picked up the Larrivee catalogue and the models with the tortoise shell style guard looked much much better to me. That along with the nice Abalone rosette made for a classy yet not too gaudy look to me.
Yeah, mine has the transparent pickguard. I really didn't mind it, because the guitar wood was so nice including the top.

The guitar really sounded "balanced". Meaning that across all the strings, there wasn't a noticable spike in either the bass or treble. It really recorded well, and was quite loud considering it wasn't a dread size.

It was a "Guitar Center Blowout" I got for only $600 because of a minor blemish on the finish of the top. The blemish was completely cosmetic, but made the guitar hard to sell new. One of the best "deals" I've ever found. Ironically, sold it a year later on e-bay for $200 more.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

I remember being extremely impressed by a pair of very excellent Larivees that had quite elaborate inlays on the headstock, that of some Renaissance looking figures (I think that they were the artful inlay work of Mrs. Larivee). I described them to a friend as being like Steinway grand pianos, compared to the mini Casio keyboards that many lesser guitars were. Very professional feel and sound! Inspiring when held, let alone played.

I like how they're influenced at least as much by classical design concepts, as by Martin steel-string flat-tops. Probably more.

The newer, more "accessibly" priced Larivees are also excellent guitars, especially for the money.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived