Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thinking about Jim Morrison

BiC

He died 33 years ago, today. He definitely made his mark on rock-n-roll, but what if he had lived?

What I find most thought provoking is this- if Jim, Jimmy, or Janis had lived a year longer, I wonder how that would had changed the face of music as we know it today?

Buddy Holly, Richie Vallens, and The Big Bopper also come to mind... "the day the music died".

It's such a conundrum, but thought provoking nonetheless.

Peace :)

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is known that Jim Morrison had repeatedly planted the seeds which would lead to this sort of speculation -- that he had somehow faked his own death and dropped out into a new identity. At the Fillmore in San Francisco in 1967, Jim started suggesting that he should pull a "death stunt" to bring national press attention onto the band. This was when he came up with the "Mr. Mojo Risin'" anagram which would be used after he "split to Africa" and wished to secretly contact friends.

Read Article

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

I always loved the Doors, but I never thought that Jim was ".. the whole thing ..", the rest of the band contributed their own music too, although of course Jim was the spark that ignited them.

Of course I agree, Rock 'n Roll would have been different today if any of those people had lived longer, hence the reference to ".. the day the music died .." in "American Pie", one of my fav songs btw, and one that fits well with my "style" (if one can call "strum 'n hum" a style) of play.

Speculation of HOW they would have changed our music is of course flawed, because we will never know for sure. Interesting to think about though, although I don't think I'd want to hazard a WAG about it, because that's all it would be.

Dave the Acoustic Folk Guy

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

I loved The Doors as a kid. One of my neighbors, that used to walk past my house from his to the train station or the middle of town, mentioned that he thought I listened to the doors a lot, from hearing me practice. I don't "practice" Doors tunes, but he heard the influence as he walked past the house.

I thought Morrison was great, till he started playing center feild for the Red Sox.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

Archived