Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who will be the next "important artist" whose name will be common/history?

Mike Gug

Who will be the next "important artist" whose name will be common decades from now? (i.e., Beatles, Elvis)

More importantly, what musical steps will they take to stand out? I think I'd have to say that it won't have anything to do with the quality of their videos, stage shows (i.e. KISS-type explosions) or visual presentation in general (i.e. masks with mouth-zippers on them) :rolleyes:

"The one thing that the great ones have in common is that they are all unique." ...this is very true in comedy, but is also true in music...

What's the next BIG musical step? I think we're all (the whole industry) taking small steps. Maybe Rock-n-roll with strings and horns infused? Maybe a new genere other than R-n-R? :eek:

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it'll involve kazoos, tubas, and bazoukis. ;)

Seriously, that's the $64,000 question, isn't it? "What's next?"

The reason no one knows what it will be is two-fold. The first thing is kinda obvious/redundant: It hasn't been done yet (or if it has, it's just starting to come together into something). The second thing is that it's virtually impossible to predict what will grab the public at any given moment - a lot of great stuff drops into obscurity because it doesn't hit just the right nerve at just the right time.

My hope is that the next "big" thing in music will at least be something that I like, and that I will feel it has some artistic and musical merit. (Please, let's not have DISCO again! :eek::eek: ).

- - - - -

EDIT: And to actually answer the question you asked ( :rolleyes: ), I suspect we don't know their name(s) yet.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

I really don't think that he or she will rise from the current assembly line of one name one hit wonders. :cry::freak:

BTW, I just couldn't see myself debuting simply as "Stephen". Now if it were "Stephen and the Masterminds". :thu::D

...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

Maybe movies and music combined? Instead of touring, go to see your favorite artist in a concert video/movie? A music guy/gal who also does production/direction?

I don't know... I just HATE not having this foresight!!!

Maybe some bands offering the never-ending "Farewell Tours" can get the creative juices flowing... Maybe stop playing the old stuff. The Beatles refused to play the old stuff for a while, didn't they?

Mikegug

I'm sorry. :cry:

I had thought that Zamfir was the future and ordered 20,000 copies of his CD about five years ago. There are still 19,998 copies left. Any takers? They make great coasters for tea or beer mugs by the way. Interested parties call BR-549 toll free on Wednesday nights after Law and Order. Hurry, limited time offer. ;)

...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

I think the future of music lies in all of us expanding our definition of "music." There are a million artists out there right now, doing new things, expanding genres and bringing something new. The problem is, most of us were never taught that this was included in music. Improv and noise are laughed at by those who refuse to let go of the old school of thought. Look at jazz. When it first arrived, it was shocking, for sure. Look at it today. Has the sound changed much? What ever happened to pushing boundaries? It's done, sure, but it's not accepted by the mainstream. Michael Vick's stuff is a good example, I think. When most people here listen to it (if they did), I'm guessing you just think it's "out there." It is, and that's the point ;D

OK, I'm rambling... bye.

(CUE THE ANGELS' HALLELUJAH CHROUS)

I've FOUND it! My search is over. I can tell my grandchildren about this day! My parents talk about running home after school to watch the Beatles on TV. Well I just found the future of rock in a scrunched-up picture on the internet while sitting in my underwear! Joy of JOYS!

Mikegug

Originally posted by batterypowered:

I think the future of music lies in all of us expanding our definition of "music." There are a million artists out there right now, doing new things, expanding genres and bringing something new. The problem is, most of us were never taught that this was included in music. Improv and noise are laughed at by those who refuse to let go of the old school of thought. Look at jazz. When it first arrived, it was shocking, for sure. Look at it today. Has the sound changed much? What ever happened to pushing boundaries? It's done, sure, but it's not accepted by the mainstream. Michael Vick's stuff is a good example, I think. When most people here listen to it (if they did), I'm guessing you just think it's "out there." It is, and that's the point ;D

OK, I'm rambling... bye.

Well I was serious when I posted that today's one name wonders do absolutely nothing for music or the general population other than to get them excited below the belt. Since the big guns could care less about REAL music it would have to come from the independent world of artists and producers. Now as far as improv and noise go, I think we're been there. As far as new jazz, I like that option myself. Imagine REAL music like that replacing Britney, Janet, and the other crotch grabbers, along with the factory assembled rappers.

What ever happened to pushing boundaries? It's done, sure, but it's not accepted by the mainstream. Michael Vick's stuff is a good example, I think.
Will Michael Vick be a household name decades from now? I'm not dissing you for bringing out his name, but I'm wondering about a HUGE impact on mainstream at the time of release AND, still chatting about their influence on the internet decades from now.

What will that BE? CAN it ever happen again? Is the media too different now? Do artists grab for all they can and slowly creap into mainstream? I think that idea probably will hold true for artists taking small steps in existing generes.

What's the next BIG step that will have people feaking out at the time of release, yet still be valid AND influential decades from now?

Mikegug

how will something new and exciting get out there?

i doulbt there is a imaginative mind in the big lables to even want to look for it. let alone the consumer has no desire to hear anything interesting.

the majority of the buying public just wants some dumb videos and to be told what is hot so they can be part of the in crowd.

the music industry is all about marketing and making cash on disposable music, it is sad but true.

Since the big guns could care less about REAL music it would have to come from the independent world of artists and producers.
Ok, I'll go with that. Maybe the music industry's equivalent to Starbucks (Sony?) will create a division designed to lose money for the purpose of pushing indepedent music? It'd be it's own PR campaign.

I say rock and strings, horns. But that's alot of people with artistic input. It'd have to be Bob Johnson and his Rock Orchestra (replaceable no-names working for squat).

Mikegug

Originally posted by Mike Gug:

[QB]Maybe the music industry's equivalent to Starbucks (Sony?) will create a division designed to lose money for the purpose of pushing indepedent music? It'd be it's own PR campaign.

[QB]

They already have it; it's called "college radio". There are a lot of little stations attached to college campuses, and the record companies all send newer style stuff out to them to see what takes off and what dies. "alternative" rock and death metal made their start there. The record companies came up with the idea of using colleg radio as it's experimental lab back in the late '80's. I was supervising the operation of a college radio station between '87 & '91, and I saw it all begin. My student-DJs all wanted mainstream stuff to play on air, and the record companies only sent us stuff like The Subdudes, Diamanda Galas, Toad the Wet Sprocket, King Diamond, and host of other folks who no one ever heard of or will.

When the big multi-national corporations started buying up the entertainment industry, they figured out that they could use the small labels as cover to break new artists on college radio, and anyone who looked like they were gonna sell would be moved up to the bigger labels.

It was the beginning of the present stranglehold folks like Sony have on the entertainement industry. Big money through plasticware...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Dunno... I think history has already been set in stone with that.

Artists now days just aren't lasting long enough to really establish themselves in an historical sense. IMHO, history has already been written.

It's more about loving the buck, than loving the music. And in that, real music rarely surfaces.

As with anything else, "today's" music becomes boring, and "yesterday's" is resurrected and made afresh. With that said, "arena rock" will soon become popular again. Just like the Drive-In movie will soon make a comeback. ;)

People are always yearning for those "good ole days", and it is no different with music.

Just my 2 cents

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Maybe it's too fragmented now. When the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan, there were like what, 3 TV networks? Now there are so many options for people to pursue (cable channels galore, college radio, internet, etc.) one artist making such an impact is difficult. Like Guitarzan said, the major players aren't going to bankroll anything they can't guarantee return on investment, so those choices may rack up big numbers, but at some point, folks know it's manufactured. The Beatles in 1964 were NOT manufactured, and by virtue of getting on the biggest stage (Ed Sullivan's show) they just took off. What's equivalent to Sullivan today? The Super Bowl Halftime? not exactly the same thing, and not exactly the showcase of sincere artistry.

I'll just carve out my own corner to fulfill my own needs. If the world comes along, so much the better.

And forget, O'Shite :P ...just give ME a little time. :D

Well I cannot speak for the future but I for one still enjoy watching and listening to REAL music when the opportunity presents itself- through concerts, shows like Austin City Limits and Sound Stage on PBS, and of course CDs and tapes. Of course my definition of REAL music may differ from someone else's but I think its safe to say that it isn't what comes out of the big industry factories these days.

Music, like fashion or graphic arts, moves in cycles.

Fimiliar with the expression "everything old is new again."???

Just as the bulk of modern movie execs are too lazy (or perhaps just untalented hacks!) to search out new talent/stories/devices and are happy to rehash 60's/70's TV/Movies, we will be suffering through total crappage for a long time yet.

I'm am willing to put money on the next big thing being either...

a) A crossover artist from the movie/TV world.

b) selected from a reality TV show.

c) ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Don't forget...

they will be the next big thing becuase we get TOLD they are the next big thing

There is too much money involved to leave these things to chance.

:freak:

How can we fight ignorance and apathy?

Who knows! Who cares!

Now, this may already be happening, but I have a feeling old "arena rock" bands will be going on "flashback" tours. Just imagine:

The Monsters of Real Rock Tour, featuring:

- Boston

- REO Speedwagon

- Styx

- Journey (w/ Steve Perry)

- 38 Special

- Foreigner

just to name a few :cool:

K... now someone give us the line-up for

The Monsters of Real Southern Rock Tour!

You can steal 38 Special from above if you like. ;)

Peace :thu:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Monsters of REAL Southern Rock Tour 2004:

Vintage stock:

Allman Brothers Band

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Marshall Tucker Band

.38 Special

Molly Hatchett

Charlie Daniels Band

Dickie Betts and Great Southern

ZZ Top

Newer stock:

Derek Trucks Band

Government Mule

Enough jamming power for quite a few hours so the lineup would have to vary.

:D

There were other Southern Rock bands but they are disbanded:

Wet Willie

Blackfoot

Little Feat

The Outlaws

Donnie Van Zandt Band

Barefoot Jerry

Now someone can come up with Monsters of REAL English Rock Tour 2004

Originally posted by tiger85:

Now someone can come up with Monsters of REAL English Rock Tour 2004

K Base, this is your baby! :thu:

C'mon Base, this is your moment to shine! :D

Tch, how old do you think I am ;)

ok this is a bit of a fantasy one as some of these are going to be unreunionable, but how about:

Iron Maiden

Def Leppard

Led Zeppelin

Deep Purple

Rainbow

Black Sabbath (IF Ozzy sings, otherwise, JUST Ozzy!)

Motorhead

Judas Priest

Thunder

And maybe Queen (headlining)if they stick to the earlier stuff...?

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Originally posted by Base:

And maybe Queen (headlining)if they stick to the earlier stuff...?

YEAHHH!!!!!!!! :cry:

Speaking of Queen, I saw Brian May on Leno some time ago. Not only can he play lights out he has a great voice. Bring 'em on!

Archived